On QE to Cape Town

LadyL1

Our journey from Lisbon to Santa Cruz, Tenerife was pleasant, and at times we were making 19 knots. Last evening it was so warm we decided to sit out on the deck after a light dinner, by the mid ships’ pool, to people watch and blissfully relax to the sound of the ocean. Sadly, this was interrupted by a heavy crash:  we turned to see an elderly lady collapsed on the deck just yards behind us. An Australian couple also near by, rushed to assist as did my husband.  A bartender took charge and help arrived instantly from what had been an invisible crew. We were impressed how this was handled, from calling the medics, to keeping the curious away, until the lady was taken to be assessed. I hope she recovers and can continue her journey.
Here in the Canaries the temperature is around 22 degrees and was forecast to be showery. We awoke to partly cloudy skies, and enjoyed breakfast on the balcony before the first rain. We have been advised we are in the new cruise terminal, which is a first for the QE. Across the water we could see berthed at the old jetty, Antaria, Hapag LLoyd Europa 2, Marella Explorer and Ocean Majesty. A full crew drill was scheduled for 10.00am and at this time I enjoyed another solo swim in the only sun of the day, whilst most pax headed for “terra firma”.
In the afternoon we decided to try and make it off the ship. Walking is not easy with a huge moon boot, and the distance from the ship along the air bridges (on an incline/decline) and through the new terminal is a fair walk! Many elderly were struggling. The new building is light and spacious, excellent if you are wheelchair-bound, but for the less mobile, a challenge. Once we got to the city promenade it started to pour with rain. Hey-ho! a trudge back to the ship. If you are reading this, and visiting in the future, bear this in mind if necessary.

Thought for the day.......
I have had time to observe people, particularly on the sun decks. One can see couples arriving, Mr X with backpack, and Mrs X with a Mary Poppins carpet bag. I wonder what is so necessary to carry around all day? Any suggestions? Smiley faces for the best replies!!!!😁🤣

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

Thought for the day.......
I have had time to observe people, particularly on the sun decks. One can see couples arriving, Mr X with backpack, and Mrs X with a Mary Poppins carpet bag. I wonder what is so necessary to carry around all day? Any suggestions? Smiley faces for the best replies!!!!😁🤣

When I go up to lounge on the Grills Terrace, my bag contains: binoculars, possibly sunglasses, one or two books, a cardigan in case it turns chilly, a sun hat, sun cream, in addition to my actual handbag (purse),  And occasionally a sodoku or crossword puzzle. If I owned a camera, I would take that too.

Very boring, but does require something to carry it in.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

My husband says as they walk by 'Snails taking their homes for a walk'.

It sounds as if he disapproves. I wonder what he thinks is acceptable to take with one, when going to the sundeck? What should I leave behind?

We left Santa Cruz at dusk, being the first ship to leave; the others being full of lights made a nice vista as we passed. Departure was a little delayed as there was a medical evacuation. Splendid offerings in the MDR, made up for a slightly disappointing day, non of which was the fault of Cunard ( see previous post). The assiette of sea food with noodles in a rich broth was outstanding, my husband enjoyed the slow roasted veal.
We are now off the Western Sahara coast steaming to Walvis Bay at 19.5knots. The lunchtime information advised us the winds are Force 8, and the QE has a soporific roll! There is a hazy blue sky, white horses on the ocean so a perfect sea day! We have 8  days afloat before the next port. It is quite mesmerising watching the sea birds (no idea what type), between reading, writing and being lazy.
It is amazing how empty the ship often seems. Again I had a lone swim for 45 minutes, and the sun deck seemed mostly deserted. The lectures today do not set me on fire, one being from Jane Corbin. She is telling her storey of her hunt for Osama bin Laden and asses the present threat of Al Qaeda: although I do actively take note of what is going on in the world when at home, I am not inclined to go and listen about events leading to atrocities. I might be doing the speaker an injustice, but I am at sea, away from the real world for a time, and will enjoy the blissful isolation until South Africa.
The MDR menu does not particularly inspire us tonight, and that being for a formal night! Of course food is always a very subjective issue. The alternative Lido offering is Corriander, and there is always the Verandah. I noticed that there were alternative items available in the evening other than steak, being lamb chops, chicken or pork, no doubt excellent. I stand to be corrected but think this might be something new, as previously it was only a variety of steaks or lemon sole on the menu. Where to eat tonight will be the biggest decision of the day🙄.

Oberservation
In the past 48 hours the internet service seems much faster.

• Like 1

This morning we went to the Remembrance Service in the packed theatre. Beautiful red and white flower displays adorned the stage to the backdrop of the “Silent Soldier”. One of the pianists was playing as we entered, and as required during the proceedings.  Staff and officers read poems between hymns and prayers. The Last Post was performed form a balcony, and the occasion was moving. 2 minutes silence was held at the end.
Thank you Captain Thorhauge for making this so very poignant.

I think that is enough said for this Sunday.

This afternoon it is so hot, we are taking refuge in the Commodore club. Our balcony has been wonderful for breakfast and lunch,  but being on starboard side, the sun is just too fierce as we near the equator crossing tomorrow.
The ocean is flat calm with huge swathes of Sargasso weed which is bright orange in colour. As one looks at this floating mass, it is heartbreaking to see the collection of human waste it holds:  very sobering.
On the ship to Cape Town is an electrical crew who has the task of changing 13,000 light bulbs to the more energy efficient and brighter led variety. It is noticeable in the room, but the shower rooms are still not bright enough. I really hope Cunard make significant improvements to the shower rooms on the new ship.
The QE has settled into a routine that befits sea days: gentle and hurried for the passengers. An excellent lecture today by Dr Helen Doe on a highly distinguished and decorated Battle of Britain pilot, her father!  Very fitting for Armistice Day, for which the ship observed 2 minutes silence.
If possible, I am happy to answer questions that you might have.

Edited by LadyL1
Correction

We are now passing Liberia to the east, on a fabulously warm day with a gentle breeze. Each night for the last few days we have seen some very sunburnt people. I am sure at tonight’s formal evening, the Neptune Ball, more red shoulders and backs will be revealed.
This lunch time in the MDR we had this misfortune to be on a table for 2 and far too close to the next one, as the English couple who occupied it were the most miserable and rude (to the staff) people we have encountered on the ship. How can you be on an adventure like this and not have a smile 😊?
In the Garden Lounge there has been a “sign up” for the crossing the line ceremony, and far more seemed to be there than the max of 36 required.
There have been some interesting lectures, but strangely for a voyage of this type, no real “headliner”. Perhaps some celebrity is being hidden away to surprise us tomorrow🤣.
My task for this afternoon is to fill in the Namibian customs entry forms. I think I will need a cocktail afterwards, or I could always settle for afternoon tea! On that subject I would like to say the variety of cakes and pastries being offered with the proverbial sandwiches and scones, has been wonderful, although on many afternoons we have resisted temptation.

19 hours ago, Elephant1151 said:

Enjoyong your blog very much.

Please could you tel me which staff are on the Entertainment Team and who is the Maitre d' in the Britannia Restaurant. Thank you.

Sally Sagoe is now entertainments director and Cordelia the choir mistress is on board. I will endeavour to find out who the Maitre d’s are in the lower and upper MDR.

Another wonderfully warm day: air and sea temperature 27 degrees with the wind around 18 knots, so the sea is sparkling and topped with white horses. We have seen pods of dolphins and more flying fish. This afternoons’ spectacle was the “Crossing the Line” ceremony. Some of the sun beds and seats by the midships pool being reserved hours before🤔
The food in the MDR continues to be very good; the lunch time menu is often quite imaginative, with lovely Asian salads: the chilled soups regrettably no longer available, as we were told they were not popular. Beef of good quality and different cuts, always seems to be available in the evening, and plenty of sea food. We met one couple in the Gin and Fizz Bar, their first time on Cunard, who declared the food a disappointment. Others we have spoken to seem very happy with the daily offerings. I am sure many will be calorie counting in the near future!

To finish on a happy note!
Some days ago I mentioned a lady who collapsed right by us. Yesterday my husband bumped into the medic who attended, and asked if all was well. He was told that she spent 24 hours under observation and was able to stay on the QE to her destination.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Hope I have caught you in time LadyL1.

We were in Cape Town earlier this year with Queen Victoria.

I wrote a review on my Blog site which may be of use to you. Here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/09/07/one-way-to-do-cape-town/

369168994_TableMountain6FramedViewRichard.jpg.d8de33d4bafc8c0376afbf2c06e1f5f3.jpg

Thank you Solent Richard, but unable to download link. Internet very slow again.

• Like 1

This is the first day we have had a time change. One hour forward at 9.00am.
We had breakfast in the MDR with all the others on the table being Australian, thoroughly enjoying their sojourn home. It seems that in their country they are having the same problem with lack of GP’s as we do in the UK! Conversation was interesting and one lady highly recommended the direct flight from Perth to LHR that she had taken.
Looking at the daily lectures we thought we might listen to one on the Royal family. As usual went via deck 1 to the seats near the front (as no steps to negotiate) but came to a grinding halt just before the entrance. A very elderly gentleman had just started his speech, and sounded droll!! We stood there listening for a minute or so, and made a hasty retreat without being seen. Later we met with a couple who said the lecture was dire, no slides just a waffling gentleman whose facts were not always correct or in sequence! The best and polished lecturer Dr Helen Doe had been given the early slot and sadly so many missed her because of the time change.
We wandered through to the Queens Room were the chefs had put on magnificent displays and demonstrations. Because of the number of sea days, this was a ramped up version of what might be on shorter voyages. Mark Oldroyd (head chef) held court, and we spent a wonderful hour or so there, with an ocean view table to sample the delights on offer. Well done to all, it was much appreciated by those who attended.
As we passed on lunch today it was at this time I went to the inviting looking pool for a dip. It was empty, but not surprising as it was chilly! It must have been emptied this morning (or the heating failed) and with no sun until around midday, it was only for those who wanted a challenge, myself and another lady! I expect by this afternoon it will be busy yet again.
We are still steaming at over 19 knots to Walvis Bay.

Last night it was dinner in the alternative Lido restaurant. We have enjoyed the Aztec theme on QV before, and think the menu is much the same on this ship. The presentation and service cannot be faulted, and it is good for the taste buds to have something entirely different from that offered in the MDR. 
This morning the temperature is noticeably cooler: the air temperature is only 22 degrees, and the open decks were only for the more hardy as the wind was whipping across the open areas. The sun beds remained mostly unoccupied.
At 11.00 it was the WC cocktail party in the Queens Room for Platinum and Diamond cruisers. Of those we have attended recently, this was the least crowded by far. I also learnt that more than 50% of the pax were staying on board for the journey to Australasia.
This evening is the Cunard Ball and last formal evening for us. There were some beautiful gowns in red, black and gold theme, which is actually quite easy. It is still a spectacle to so many dress in their finery and somewhat a rarity in this day age! Long may tradition continue (even with some tweaks along the way as proves necessary) on these ships that sail the world 🌎!

In answer to an earlier question: Tatiana is the Maitre d’on deck 3 Britannia and Sanjay on deck 2.

On the downside, there have been no pre-dinner hot canapés in either the Commodore Club or Mid Ships bar.

The internet is very slow again.

The last day at sea before Namibia: again it is cool, cloudy and quite blustery on the open decks. I have to admit that I thought we would have been enjoying warmer days in this part of the world. I saw some seabirds, the first for days, but any other marine life has remained elusive. After lunch the sun did attempt to make an appearance.
A little about the entertainment on this voyage. I feel a big name lecturer has been missing, and as said preciously,  listening to lectures on Al Qaeda whilst on an escapist holiday, just does not appeal. This subject of Jane Corbin appears to be the “star attraction” and have heard that she is an excellent speaker on her subject!  A magician for shows in the evening was not rated by those who offered their opinion, as we did not attend. The Cunard Singers and Dancers have put on 3 shows, last night being “Top Hat”. All were very enjoyable indeed and appreciated by the audience. The pianist in the Commodore Club is excellent, as is the cocktail pianist Josh Nesbitt who performs in various locations. The art and craft classes are very popular.
Info collected from the Captain’s noontime address: there are pax from 52 countries, the largest number from the 1916 having a berth are from the UK, but also 452 Australians, 432 Germans but only 38 from the USA. There are 998 crew from 50 countries. Without doubt the atmosphere on board has been very friendly.
In the early afternoon we watched entries in the “float your boat” competition at the midships pool . Four teams had made boats that were to be able to carry cargo, namely 6 unopened beer cans, and had to fulfil certain criteria. Only 1 sunk, and the winner will had propulsion! Impressive and good fun. So pleased there was a receptive audience for the event.