How NOT to behave in my time dining.

amzgirl

So my family was supposed to be on the 9/1 harmony of the seas sailing for seven days, but it was shortened to three days. We ended up taking the cruise anyway and had a wonderful time, and with the combination of refunds and onboard credit we booked the cruise we just came off of, the 10/27 Harmony with almost the same itinerary.

During the first cruise, we fell in love with our dining room server. Her name is Treshana. We have an adult disabled child with autism, and she was just absolutely amazing with him. Not just being polite, but actually interacting with him and just going above and beyond. So of course naturally for this cruise we decided to request her again.

Our first night of my time dining, we requested her as well as a table close to the window if possible. It turned out that the table close to the window was useless because it was always pitch black by the time we got seated, but the first priority was getting Treshana. She remembered us and we had a lovely first night. She even got her new assistant waiter, Noor, all excited about serving us. He was fantastic. 

Returning for night two, and unfortunately it seems that someone took our table. A couple just decided to sit themselves there, without telling anyone, and I’m not even sure they checked in. So that meant that Treshana‘a section was full and we had to be seated with another waiter. She was absolutely mortified and so upset. When I excused myself to go use the restroom, she came made a point of running up and apologizing profusely. I told her it was no problem, she explained what happened with the other couple, and we decided to just make sure that they weren’t going to do that to us again. So we started showing up about 15 or 20 minutes before our reservation.

It was never a problem for us to show up early, because Treshanna was making sure that our table was cleared and ready for us, and usually by the time we got through the line and the crowds it was close to the 7 PM reservation time anyway. We managed to foil that rude couple for the rest of the cruise, until night six. On that night, when we arrived, we were told that our table was currently occupied by another family that was finishing their meal, and would we mind waiting. We did not mind at all, and five minutes later Treshana came up to explain to us that the family was being a little slow in leaving and she had another table prepared for us. No problem, we made our way back with her and sat where we were told. 

In the meantime, the other family left, and Treshanna immediately directed Noor to pull a bunch of tables together, including that one, for a large group of 12. Several waiters were in the process of pulling together the tables when that couple again sat themselves down where they were not supposed to. This time, it was unavoidable, Treshanna had to ask them to switch tables because she needed that table for her large group of 12.

They were NOT happy. Even though they seated themselves, they felt entitled to that table. They ended up complaining to management, who of course by now already knew the real story anyway. I made a point of calling over the head waiter for that section, Rueben, and raving about how amazing and wonderful Treshana  and Noor were. I also made sure to give them extra tips and we will be mentioning them quite a bit when we take our survey.

So, please, I know that some people might think that “my time dining“ means just show up anytime and sit yourself anywhere, but it does not. You would be best off letting them make a reservation for you all week like we did. They have a system, it works pretty well, just follow it, sit where you are told, and don’t be rude to your server or to other cruisers by behaving like that couple did. 

C6B4B528-711E-428D-A629-72BECB3A2987.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

If they did not check in with the host/ess at the podium, and just entered and sat down at a table, their waitstaff were not "credited" with their presence, and did not get the appropriate tips.  So this couple was rude to everyone, passengers and staff alike.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

If they did not check in with the host/ess at the podium, and just entered and sat down at a table, their waitstaff were not "credited" with their presence, and did not get the appropriate tips.  So this couple was rude to everyone, passengers and staff alike.

Good point.

With their attitude I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't pay their autogratuities as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

People just walk into the dining room and seat themselves?

Apparently they have confused My Time Dining with At Home Dining.....or the MDR with the WJ

Apparently.  Those self righteous ones that always feel entitled.  Me, me, me...

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

I wonder if they are were aware you still have to be seated when you have MTD?  Maybe they thought you could just walk in and take a seat anywhere?  At least I hope that is the case.  I wonder if anyone told them the line wasn't just for reservations.  

All of this should have been handled with the section head waiter and the maitre'd.  After finding the waiter and table combination you wanted the first night, someone should have stopped at the podium on the way out and asked for that table for the rest of the week.  It is then put in the reservations for the rest of the week and it could have also been noted this was needed for your son.  If this couple was actually bypassing the podium, the waiters should have had it dealt with as soon as they saw someone seated at the wrong table as they would know that is assigned to you.  The section head waiter will deal with any issues but they need to be made aware of the problem.  You shouldn't have to try to beat a family to the dining room.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, reney313 said:

I wonder if they are were aware you still have to be seated when you have MTD?  Maybe they thought you could just walk in and take a seat anywhere?  At least I hope that is the case.  I wonder if anyone told them the line wasn't just for reservations.  

We always do MTD. All the ships we've cruised on there is always a sign long before the podiums directing you in one of two lines. Reservations and no reservations. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

The MDR staff on our recent Allure B2B called back at least 4 couples over the 2 weeks that tried to enter without being directed to a table. Nobody looked relectant to inform anyone of the proper procedure. I was pretty impressed with their training in being assertive.

Edited by mayleeman

10 hours ago, amzgirl said:

So my family was supposed to be on the 9/1 harmony of the seas sailing for seven days, but it was shortened to three days. We ended up taking the cruise anyway and had a wonderful time, and with the combination of refunds and onboard credit we booked the cruise we just came off of, the 10/27 Harmony with almost the same itinerary.

During the first cruise, we fell in love with our dining room server. Her name is Treshana. We have an adult disabled child with autism, and she was just absolutely amazing with him. Not just being polite, but actually interacting with him and just going above and beyond. So of course naturally for this cruise we decided to request her again.

Our first night of my time dining, we requested her as well as a table close to the window if possible. It turned out that the table close to the window was useless because it was always pitch black by the time we got seated, but the first priority was getting Treshana. She remembered us and we had a lovely first night. She even got her new assistant waiter, Noor, all excited about serving us. He was fantastic. 

Returning for night two, and unfortunately it seems that someone took our table. A couple just decided to sit themselves there, without telling anyone, and I’m not even sure they checked in. So that meant that Treshana‘a section was full and we had to be seated with another waiter. She was absolutely mortified and so upset. When I excused myself to go use the restroom, she came made a point of running up and apologizing profusely. I told her it was no problem, she explained what happened with the other couple, and we decided to just make sure that they weren’t going to do that to us again. So we started showing up about 15 or 20 minutes before our reservation.

It was never a problem for us to show up early, because Treshanna was making sure that our table was cleared and ready for us, and usually by the time we got through the line and the crowds it was close to the 7 PM reservation time anyway. We managed to foil that rude couple for the rest of the cruise, until night six. On that night, when we arrived, we were told that our table was currently occupied by another family that was finishing their meal, and would we mind waiting. We did not mind at all, and five minutes later Treshana came up to explain to us that the family was being a little slow in leaving and she had another table prepared for us. No problem, we made our way back with her and sat where we were told. 

In the meantime, the other family left, and Treshanna immediately directed Noor to pull a bunch of tables together, including that one, for a large group of 12. Several waiters were in the process of pulling together the tables when that couple again sat themselves down where they were not supposed to. This time, it was unavoidable, Treshanna had to ask them to switch tables because she needed that table for her large group of 12.

They were NOT happy. Even though they seated themselves, they felt entitled to that table. They ended up complaining to management, who of course by now already knew the real story anyway. I made a point of calling over the head waiter for that section, Rueben, and raving about how amazing and wonderful Treshana  and Noor were. I also made sure to give them extra tips and we will be mentioning them quite a bit when we take our survey.

So, please, I know that some people might think that “my time dining“ means just show up anytime and sit yourself anywhere, but it does not. You would be best off letting them make a reservation for you all week like we did. They have a system, it works pretty well, just follow it, sit where you are told, and don’t be rude to your server or to other cruisers by behaving like that couple did. 

We had EXACTLY this happen to us on the Jewel last March.  We always check out the tables on embarkation day, and request that table with the head waiter in the afternoon.  We arrived at our time (in My Time Dining), and were taken to our table to find another couple there!  Went back to the podium, and got another table nearby.

Same thing the next night, and the third night.  On night 3 the head waiter went over to the couple and told them they had checked in, taken to THAT table OVER THERE (pointing), and why had they moved without telling anyone.  He said this table is already reserved.  For some reason the wife thought if she didn't like the table assigned to them, she could just move to wherever she wanted.  The head waiter told them to please not do this again.  

That woman whined and sniveled to her husband all through dinner.  We were seated at the table next to them.  I mean all.through.dinner.  Poor guy.

The next night we went to our table, and that lady glared darts at us all through dinner.  We ignored her.

So, if you have requested a specific table, and someone poaches it, go get the head waiter to talk to them.  

Then, we continued our trip on the Adventure.  Same thing happened there, too!  We finally arranged to eat 30 minutes earlier, so the table was occupied by the time the other people got there.  THAT woman also threw dirty looks at us. We ignored her, too.

• Like 3

I’ve never heard of passengers walking in for MTD dinner  and seating themselves. How is that even possible? 

We’ve only done my time dining for a few cruises and have been under the impression that you are not guaranteed the same table or server every night. That is why we mostly opt for traditional seating. 

m

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

All of this should have been handled with the section head waiter and the maitre'd.  After finding the waiter and table combination you wanted the first night, someone should have stopped at the podium on the way out and asked for that table for the rest of the week.  It is then put in the reservations for the rest of the week and it could have also been noted this was needed for your son.  If this couple was actually bypassing the podium, the waiters should have had it dealt with as soon as they saw someone seated at the wrong table as they would know that is assigned to you.  The section head waiter will deal with any issues but they need to be made aware of the problem.  You shouldn't have to try to beat a family to the dining room.

Yes that section and table was in my reservation for the whole cruise, but unfortunately the other couple kept trying to grab it. 

And yes, they should have immediately moved them on night two, but I think they were just trying to placate them, not realizing that the same couple would try the same thing every night of the cruise.

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I’ve never heard of passengers walking in for MTD dinner  and seating themselves. How is that even possible? 

We’ve only done my time dining for a few cruises and have been under the impression that you are not guaranteed the same table or server every night. That is why we mostly opt for traditional seating. 

m

Actually we have always gotten the same server every night every time we’ve done my time dining. On night one they just put your reservation in for the rest of the week with the same server and usually the same table. So unless you’re unhappy with your server on night one, you should be able to get the same server all week pretty easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

If you have a standing reservation after a few nights it becomes routine and it's not unusual to just sit at your usual table without bothering the MTD host.

That was not at all encouraged on this cruise. It was too crowded. Most nights we actually had to check in twice, once at the end of the line and once up at the podium.

People can be remarkably self centered and rude. We've only had 2 incidences (luckily) like this.  

The first, a number of years ago, occurred on boarding day.   We were two couples and had a table for 4 in Traditional Dining.  As is usual we went and checked our table number.  Well our table was on the upper deck of the MDR and pushed into a corner at the entrance to the kitchen!!  Now we are not novice cruisers.  We went and told the Maitre D' that the table was unacceptable and we wanted it changed.  He was surprised and said it was a good location but he could give us a table on the first floor.  It was a nice table so we gratefully moved.  But we sort of wondered why the Maitre D" thought the first table was so "nice?"  So a couple of days later we went back up and found the table.  Turns out, someone had CHANGED the table number on day one!  Yes, a passenger went to find their table, didn't like it (can't blame them) and swapped numbers with OUR table!  j

Second time I experienced a problem was last March on Allure.  We had MTD and were in GS's so we ate mostly in Coastal Kitchen. But we went to the MDR for dinner and they had  a table for 4 for us (we were 2 couples).  We all went back into the dining room and lo and behold a couple was sitting at our table for 4!   A few tables away was a table for 2 near a waiter station.  Now, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say that a waiter moved them, but you could tell by the look on their faces that they were "busted."  They both turned red and looked away when we all walked up.  The Head Waiter scrambled to find us a table for 4.  As we stood waiting, I simply looked at the couple at our table.   They really struggled trying not to look at me and looked pretty uncomfortable. I didn't stare, but kept looking over and they'd look away very quickly.  Not that big of a deal, but rude on their part, and clearly they knew it.  I figured "punishment enough."  

People have to realize that all tables are accounted for on a full ship and to randomly change tables creates a big problem for a lot of people. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

People just walk into the dining room and seat themselves?

Apparently they have confused My Time Dining with At Home Dining.....or the MDR with the WJ

We saw the same thing happen in the CK. We had a reservation and just as our table was cleaned, two ladies who were told no available seating went and sat down at our table. We couldn’t get a table until 45 minutes past our reservation. These were seasoned cruisers. They were not Suite Guest. So this happens in all venues. 

• Like 2