Sky Princess and Internet

Lynniepoo

Hello cruisers,

DH and I are Platinum and heading on the Sky Princess in December (Caribbean).  Can anyone tell me how they are structuring the internet plans on (fully operational) OM sailings and what perks a Platinum guest has?  I'm wondering if I should order something in advance.  Thanks!!

You will get your Platinum internet minutes according to the length of your cruise. If that's all you need, you're good to go. Otherwise you can trade in your minutes for a discount on the first day when you sign in. It will be less expensive than buying a package in advance.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lynniepoo said:

Hello cruisers,

DH and I are Platinum and heading on the Sky Princess in December (Caribbean).  Can anyone tell me how they are structuring the internet plans on (fully operational) OM sailings and what perks a Platinum guest has?  I'm wondering if I should order something in advance.  Thanks!!

If you want to know the offers for Medallion Net, then check your Cruise Personalizer.  But, you should wait until on board and book your internet package on Day 1 to receive a 25% discount off the on-board price in exchange for your free minutes.  That net price will be a little less than booking the pre-cruise offers.

Otherwise, you can still use your free minutes, but if they run out and you want more, you will have to pay a higher daily rate than on Day 1.  If you want to know the details, visit the Internet Cafe on Day 1.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

you should wait until on board and book your internet package on Day 1 to receive a 25% discount off the on-board price in exchange for your free minutes. 

But it's not very much of a discount from the sale price available online to everyone prior to sailing.

In this case, it's less than a 9% discount of the pre-cruise price.

609591906_ScreenShot2019-10-21at2_56_50PM.png.3472041f6b6f917c5c887c6d5a93d578.png

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

But it's not very much of a discount from the sale price available online to everyone prior to sailing.

609591906_ScreenShot2019-10-21at2_56_50PM.png.3472041f6b6f917c5c887c6d5a93d578.png

Thanks for re-producing my price table here.  You did leave out the part of my post where I did state that the price will be a "little less".  😎.   'Tis a pittance, right?

32 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No need to go to the IC. The lines can be crazy on the first day.

You can do it all on your device.

Totally agree with you.  I only mentioned the IC if the OP was thinking of using her free minutes and then looking to buy additional internet later in the cruise.  All of that detail pricing info will be at the IC.  If you board fairly early in the day, then they are not that busy (fewer people and they are unpacking and such).  But, later on..... yikes!!  Although, there is extra staff added who can answer a lot of the questions. 

• Like 1

Just now, steelers36 said:

Thanks for re-producing my price table here.  You did leave out the part of my post where I did state that the price will be a "little less".  😎.   'Tis a pittance, right?

Yes, it's a great chart, so I had to take a screen shot of it. I've shared it several times, as this question comes up frequently.

Thanks for making it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

Yes, it's a great chart, so I had to take a screen shot of it. I've shared it several times, as this question comes up frequently.

Thanks for making it!

I plan to get the scoop on all the 4-device price ranges later this week on CROWN and post that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Do you have information on the 7 day multi-device plan price, once on-board, for platinum/elite?  Also, am I able to share that plan with the other passengers in my cabin?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I plan to get the scoop on all the 4-device price ranges later this week on CROWN and post that as well.

That would be great if you can. I'm interested in doing that for our December Sky sailing, but want to know if I should book/pay ahead of time. We have back to back sailings and switch to Elite for the second sailing.

40 minutes ago, msled said:

Do you have information on the 7 day multi-device plan price, once on-board, for platinum/elite?  Also, am I able to share that plan with the other passengers in my cabin?

Thanks

Your Personalizer is likely quoting $15/day for 4-device plan.  That means ~$105 for the week.  I am not sure what the on board price is with a discount.  I have heard ~$20/day as the full on-board price.  If true, then 25% off that brings you back to ~$15. 

With some other cruise lengths I am aware of - including our soon-to-depart 10-nighter, the discounted 4-device price is exactly the same as two discounted 1-device plans. 

Yes, if you buy either of the plans, you can share with others.  However, once the limit of connected devices is reached, the next one attempting to connect will receive a warning that another device is connected, so you either wait or bump the other one off-line automatically.  If you purchase a 4-device plan, you need to share the login info with the others.

9 minutes ago, dogdoc2002 said:

That would be great if you can. I'm interested in doing that for our December Sky sailing, but want to know if I should book/pay ahead of time. We have back to back sailings and switch to Elite for the second sailing.

IDK what your cruise lengths are.  I am aware that there a two 4-night "inaugurals", followed by regular cruises (I presume).  

I'd wait and book on board since you are currently Platinum.  You should save a small amount.  If you find it is also covering the next cruise, then go with it.  Otherwise, check-in with the Internet Cafe Mgr  - maybe there is a combo price they will offer??? 

Savings won't be big for waiting, but you can use OBC to cover it if you have lots.  Let's put it this way - you won't lose by waiting. 

Also, stop by the Captain's Circle Host during the first cruise to make sure your Elite status will be updated for the following cruise so you receive all the benefits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steelers36 said:

8 hours ago, msled said:

Thanks

On the Royal last Spring & currently on the Sky the 4-Device plans are double the price of the 1-Device plan.  

For our 28 days it’s $112.49 (as shown in Steelers36 chart) and 4-Devices cost $224.99.   Based on that chart it’s $52.50 for 1-Device & would be $105 for the 4-Device plan.

I’ve used my single device plan on my phone & tablet but can only be signed on to one device at a time.  I haven’t tried to sign in with my information on my wife’s phone so don’t know if that’d work & she’s happy with her 500 minutes because she rarely connects to the internet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

On embarkation day you will have a choice of keeping your 150 minutes or taking unlimited for one device for a discounted rate.  I'm also on the sky leaving December 14th.  The internet is a lot better on the medallion cruises.

Most of the time, the internet is a lot better on ships with Medallion Net. On our Crown Princess transatlantic, it was horrible. I ended up getting a 75 percent refund from the internet manager. Here's a screenshot of a speed test I did one day.

Internet Speedtest 10-1-19 noon.jpg

On 11/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, dogdoc2002 said:

On 11/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, Astro Flyer said:

On the Royal last Spring & currently on the Sky the 4-Device plans are double the price of the 1-Device plan.  

For our 28 days it’s $112.49 (as shown in Steelers36 chart) and 4-Devices cost $224.99.   Based on that chart it’s $52.50 for 1-Device & would be $105 for the 4-Device plan.

I’ve used my single device plan on my phone & tablet but can only be signed on to one device at a time.  I haven’t tried to sign in with my information on my wife’s phone so don’t know if that’d work & she’s happy with her 500 minutes because she rarely connects to the internet.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, CineGraphic said:

Hi, All.  I said I would be back with a report on a pricing chart for 4-device plans from the Crown.  I am on the Crown, but the Internet Cafe Mgr (ICM) was about as protective of that information as a top secret item.  I thought I would have no issues obtaining it, but he would open a drawer at his station and quickly close it again after looking at the same sort of table of prices I have posted for the 1-device plan.  He gave me some baffle-gab about the prices change and what-not as to why he wouldn't give me the complete list.  I asked him about three different specific lengths and he would open and closed the drawer quickly.  Wouldn't let me take a pic of the list, etc.  I am sure if I call Princess when I get back home, they will tell me. 

IDK if things have changed, but the old internet had the ICM's as non-Princess employees.  So, my cajoling got me nowhere.

It would seem this chart is fairly accurate for 4-devices, albeit incomplete:

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7   n/a $110 $82.50
7 $105 n/a $140 $105.00
8 $120 n/a $150 $112.50
9 $135 n/a $160 $120.00
10 $150 n/a $170 $127.50
11 $165 n/a $180 $135.00
12 $180 n/a $200 $150.00
14 $210 n/a $240 $180.00
15 - 30   n/a $300 $225.00
31+   n/a $400

$300.00

The pre-cruise prices I included are based on them offering it at $15 per day in Personalizer. 

The On-Board pricing is gathered from some posts I recall seeing, including @Astro Flyer's above.  The one's I managed to squeeze out of the Crown's ICM were for 7-nights, 15-30 nights, 31+ nights, and of course I know what 10-nights are.  (We and our friends are currently sharing a 4-device package on Crown).  I just projected the rest of the on-board prices so that the 4-device rate equals two times 1-device rate, including discounted rate.

When I connect up and login on my PC, it shows me 4 devices active and lists our cellphones and I can tell from the labels extracted from the internal device names we gave them, who's is whose, and I know to force my cellphone to disconnect when going onto my PC.

Internet is working very well on CROWN - but then we would expect that in the Caribbean latitudes.

I also confirmed with the ICM that anyone not buying the U/L package on Day 1, and now looking to book it would be paying $20/day.  I need to drop in again and ask (just for curiosity), what happens if a Platinum/Elite uses up their 250 mins in three days and then comes around to buy.  Do they get a price break at all, or is it the $20 full rate?  I expect the latter.

What I now know is when we go on REGAL next fall for 38 nights, we should be at $300 net cost for Medallion Net (4-devices), or $75/device, which is pretty darn good at about $2/day.  (Barring a price increase).

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Hi, All.  I said I would be back with a report on a pricing chart for 4-device plans from the Crown.  I am on the Crown, but the Internet Cafe Mgr (ICM) was about as protective of that information as a top secret item.  I thought I would have no issues obtaining it, but he would open a drawer at his station and quickly close it again after looking at the same sort of table of prices I have posted for the 1-device plan.  He gave me some baffle-gab about the prices change and what-not as to why he wouldn't give me the complete list.  I asked him about three different specific lengths and he would open and closed the drawer quickly.  Wouldn't let me take a pic of the list, etc.  I am sure if I call Princess when I get back home, they will tell me. 

IDK if things have changed, but the old internet had the ICM's as non-Princess employees.  So, my cajoling got me nowhere.

It would seem this chart is fairly accurate for 4-devices, albeit incomplete:

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7   n/a $110 $82.50
7 $105 n/a $140 $105.00
8 $120 n/a $150 $112.50
9 $135 n/a $160 $120.00
10 $150 n/a $170 $127.50
11 $165 n/a $180 $135.00
12 $180 n/a $200 $150.00
14 $210 n/a $240 $180.00
15 - 30   n/a $300 $225.00
31+   n/a $400

$300.00

The pre-cruise prices I included are based on them offering it at $15 per day in Personalizer. 

The On-Board pricing is gathered from some posts I recall seeing, including @Astro Flyer's above.  The one's I managed to squeeze out of the Crown's ICM were for 7-nights, 15-30 nights, 31+ nights, and of course I know what 10-nights are.  (We and our friends are currently sharing a 4-device package on Crown).  I just projected the rest of the on-board prices so that the 4-device rate equals two times 1-device rate, including discounted rate.

When I connect up and login on my PC, it shows me 4 devices active and lists our cellphones and I can tell from the labels extracted from the internal device names we gave them, who's is whose, and I know to force my cellphone to disconnect when going onto my PC.

Internet is working very well on CROWN - but then we would expect that in the Caribbean latitudes.

I also confirmed with the ICM that anyone not buying the U/L package on Day 1, and now looking to book it would be paying $20/day.  I need to drop in again and ask (just for curiosity), what happens if a Platinum/Elite uses up their 250 mins in three days and then comes around to buy.  Do they get a price break at all, or is it the $20 full rate?  I expect the latter.

What I now know is when we go on REGAL next fall for 38 nights, we should be at $300 net cost for Medallion Net (4-devices), or $75/device, which is pretty darn good at about $2/day.  (Barring a price increase).

Thanks for the update!

4 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Thanks for the updates, it's nice to see some sort of consistency from Princess!

Have you encountered any problems with sharing the 4 device plan?  Do you all see your own stuff in the MedallionClass and OceanCompass apps?

9 hours ago, smf81 said:

Thanks for the updates, it's nice to see some sort of consistency from Princess!

Have you encountered any problems with sharing the 4 device plan?  Do you all see your own stuff in the MedallionClass and OceanCompass apps?

Not at all.  Just use friend's cabin nbr and birthdate.  I deposited 50% of cost into his on-board account.  Everyone has their own identity in Medallion Class app for the INTRAnet.  You just login for in ther internet amd remain logged in unless connecting to another device like a PC.  Then I just disconnect my phone.

Easy Peasy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Not at all.  Just use friend's cabin nbr and birthdate.  I deposited 50% of cost into his on-board account.  Everyone has their own identity in Medallion Class app for the INTRAnet.  You just login for in ther internet amd remain logged in unless connecting to another device like a PC.  Then I just disconnect my phone.

Easy Peasy.

I know this was mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to find it.  With the 4 device plan... so is it 4 devices at a time or only 4 registered devices?  Like can 6 devices be "listed" but not connected?  I think the answer is yes since I read that you disconnect some devices.  Sounds like up to 4 can be logged in at one time.  Correct?

TIA

26 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I know this was mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to find it.  With the 4 device plan... so is it 4 devices at a time or only 4 registered devices?  Like can 6 devices be "listed" but not connected?  I think the answer is yes since I read that you disconnect some devices.  Sounds like up to 4 can be logged in at one time.  Correct?

TIA

Correct.

• Thanks 1

I have a question about OM internet, that I cannot find scanning CC.  DW and I both are Platinum and we both use our minutes, I like to use computers in the IC for messaging on Face Book and printing airline boarding passes.  I hope under OM internet I can do the same and even if add more minutes to my device.  

Thanks in advance.