Amsterdam Hotel Suggestions Needed

Radbooks

We're flying into Amsterdam next July and need a hotel for a couple of nights before boarding our ship - the Veendam. We don't know whether it's best to stay out by the airport or more in the central area. I've seen a few hotels near the airport that have shuttles which is nice, but I don't know if it will be harder to go and do and see things. One thing we'd like to do is go to Rotterdam one of the days... is that easy to do on the train? Would it be easier to be by the airport or in the central area to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Rhonda

Donot stay at the airport, stay in town. Why bother with a shuttle to/from the airport and  then train or bus to go to town? It takes time and costs extra. Lots of hotels  in town at various prices. I am sure if you use the search function many hotels will come up. 

Traintravel in NL is easy, use the https://www.ns.nl/en and you will see many frequent trains between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Some fast and some stoptrains. Buy tickets through the app and for a small surcharge at the window. Tickets are valid for a day not for a special time. However some fasttrains have a small surcharge.

Edited by Ine
  • Like 1

I have stayed at the Hilton Doubletree twice.... it is literally right beside the train station which would be great for your day trip and yet it is still only a walk across the bridge to get to the main action of town. The staff there are wonderful too! :)

My first time I took a taxi to the port (I didn't know where I was going and was by myself on a hot day), it was 10 Euros. This past year my hubby and I walked to the port with our cases. It took about 15 mins. If you have mobility issues or a lot of difficult luggage with you, I would take the taxi, but we would certainly walk it again as we travel light and are vey mobile. Happy Planning!

• Like 1

Agree with staying in the city rather than the airport. There are many choices depending on your budget. We have stayed at the Pulitzer, Movenpick,  Krasnapolsky and the Renaissance - all on different visits, of course. I would vote for a hotel near Dam Square or a boutique hotel on one of the canals.

The Movenpick is right next to the cruise port.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

Totally agree with going to Amsterdam and not stay at the airport.

Plenty of hotels to chose from albeit be mindful Amsterdam is a busy and popular city with prices to match.

However there are hotels in all budgets.

You could stay near the cruise terminal but its an easy city to get around with good public transport.

The museum area near the Vondal park is pleasant with lots of places to eat/shop.

The Jordaan area has interesting shops and walking distance to places of interest.

Depends what you like and your interests.

Enjoy Amsterdam its a unique place. 

• Like 1

There's a tram line which runs from the Centraal Station area to the cruise port terminal.   It's #26, and stops across the road from the port terminal.  About three Euro for a one way trip.

The one day pass for all the tram lines costs about eight Euro, and gives you a lot of flexibility in deciding where to stay.

https://www.amsterdamtips.com/amsterdam-cruise-ship

• Like 1

Hi Rhonda, Of course for every traveller, budgets differ.  I have researched extensively very recently, as we are doing a T/A and we disembark in Amsterdam.  We will be there early May - which is beginning of tourist season also is 75th Anniversary of WW2.  Hotel rates are over the top.  Friends of ours who live in The Hague are recommending Lieden, Delft or Haarlem.  Four years ago we stayed in Sloterdijk - it's 8 minute train ride from Amsterdam Central station. We stayed at Holiday Inn Express - which was literally 5 minute walk from train station.  Next door was a Spar, that offered almost everything a traveller could want (beer, wine, snacks even hot foods).  The train station also offered a number of Holland version's of fast food - but perhaps more nutritional value.  

After all this, and my research further afield we are staying at another facility with access to the Sloterdijk station. After looking at rates further afield they offered no better bang for the buck, plus had to add train transfer time, train costs, bottom line we're 8 minutes by train from Central Tourism Mecca Amsterdam.  Beware, some of hotels have very narrow staircases if you hauling your cruise luggage (I over pack - always).  The hotel is middle of the road.

The hotel chain - Dutch hotel group used to be under banner Golden Tulip hotels - it appears they have re-branded under "XO hotels".  (My rate for booking direct for 2 nights, refundable / cancel-able booking, with full breakfast is €325 all in including taxes - 4 1/2 stars, Trip Advisor reviews.  I looked at Banks Mansion for my booking dates, 2 nights = €550, cancel-able, with full breakfast, also rated 4 1/2 stars, Trip Advisor reviews).  Banks Mansion certainly is more central - but I'll keep my extra euros for other activities.

• 1 hour ago, retired1 said:

We’ve stayed at Banks Mansion every time we’re in Amsterdam.  Great hotel in a wonderful location.

A 2 day - 48 hour multi use train pass, that you can purchase at Schipol Airport is €22 per person. This pass covers, bus, train or tram transit.

• On 11/3/2019 at 10:55 PM, Radbooks said:

We're flying into Amsterdam next July and need a hotel for a couple of nights before boarding our ship - the Veendam. We don't know whether it's best to stay out by the airport or more in the central area. I've seen a few hotels near the airport that have shuttles which is nice, but I don't know if it will be harder to go and do and see things. One thing we'd like to do is go to Rotterdam one of the days... is that easy to do on the train? Would it be easier to be by the airport or in the central area to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Rhonda

Have a great trip, coincidentally we are sailing on the Veenham - T/A - Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam, depart mid April - May 9/20. 

Rhonda, if you plan to visit the Anne Frank museum - be advised to pre-book your visit.  They start selling entrance tickets 2 months out.  These are timed entrances, I hadn't booked this spot and the que for non-ticket holders was going to unattainable entrance.  Also, a more hidden tourist gem The Church in theAttic -www.opsolder.nl - this is Dutch website but certainly worth a look at. 

Church in the Attic

image.jpeg.fcd07ad0e30c7c87644fa73c7dbeead4.jpeg

Joanne (aka - friedaliene)

Joanne, Is this the XO Hotels West? We’re also getting into Amsterdam mid-May and hotel prices have been so high, we were considering staying at an airport (Radisson), but this area seems much more convenient, thanks! 

Hi Hun - yes the XO Hotel is Park West - use the hotels web-site they offer a 10% or 15% discount rather than using search engine. Initially, I had book Hotels.com (for me .ca they bill in Cdn).   A discount window comes up.  I had troubles accessing hotel website from my tower comp. but with my tablet I could use the hotel web-site.  Good-luck, I hope you get rates  that fit your budget.  I usually take the higher refundable rate - if our plans change, I am able to cancel.  

To other travellers, beware Air B 'n 'B - has strange rules - if you book some host won't allow you to cancel.  Others give you a 3 day window.  Last spring, I had booked Air B 'n' B (London), our plans changed 5 days out and the host wouldn't cancel booking, was only giving me 1/2 what I had pre-paid through my credit card.  Short story, I went to big-wigs Air B 'n 'B, advised this host renting more than 6 months annually.  City councils, London, UK; Paris, FR; Holland have strict guidelines - how many days / months annually they can let out.  I got a full refund - cause I raised heck.  Last, spring Oasis - had mishap the T/A cruise was cancelled - a traveller there had a 10 day Paris booking - she had fully paid, the host advised her tough luck and re-rented the a 2nd party.  This CC individual, used my advice and Air B 'n 'B gave her full refund.  

Please be cautious - when utilizing Air B 'n 'B.  

• 32 minutes ago, hun said:

Joanne, Is this the XO Hotels West? We’re also getting into Amsterdam mid-May and hotel prices have been so high, we were considering staying at an airport (Radisson), but this area seems much more convenient, thanks! 

Hi Hun - did you book the XO Hotel Park West?? I think Amsterdam like London has lots of hotels and no problems filling them with tourists.  Not sure where but just read that Amsterdam has 300,000 cruise visitors annually.  That's a lot of people in transit and €'s burning a hole in their pocket.  We are doing TransAtlantic cruise - cheaper than flying these days, don't arrive and having to recover from jet-lag.  This will be our fourth T/A - final port is our jumping off point to see Europe.  It's amazing how many people use T/A's.  Last year meet a couple that have 2nd house in Italy - they had 27 suitcases or pieces of luggage (can you imagine plane luggage fees).  Also, have connected with travellers, they winter in Florida - hop the east bound T/A - and have summer home in Majorca or Malaga, Spain.  Happy travels and cruising.  Joanne (aka - friedaliene)

• 17 hours ago, hun said:

Hi Joanne, I haven’t booked yet, I’m not sure if we’re staying only one of two nights, but would like to stay two.  We’ve never been to Amsterdam, and I also need to figure out the logistics of getting suitcases to the hotel after the cruise, then getting us into Amsterdam, and then at some point, getting us from hotel to the airport.  (Using metro/mass transit as opposed to cabs) 

So that’s my next project lol

Thanks, 

Elisa 

Elisa - I know how important logistics in a new city can be.  There are a number of websites, that are helpful for time allocation and how we manage luggage.  The luggage part is my husbands largest "?" when we travel (I over pack).  The cruise port terminal is approx 15 minutes walk to the Central Train Terminal - Amsterdam.

• www.rome2rio.com - very useful covers all modes transporation, any city scenario, and time required, also helpful for hotels
  • www.amsterdamtips.com - has answers to your cruiseport transit questions
  • www.iamsterdam.com

I'm not 100% on this but, you may be able to take tram from cruiseport terminal to Central Terminal Amsterdam and then transfer and board train to the Sloterdijk station (8 minutes).  The XO Hotel Park West - is approx. .5 kilometers from Sloterdijk station (I think we may cab with our luggage items) to hotel.  

Sloterdijk station to AMS (airport) - no need to transfer to another train - direct line transfer to airport (10 minutes).

As, I stated earlier you could in fact purchase your multi day pass at the Cruise terminal - a 2 day GVB pass = €22.50.

• Quoted from - www.iamsterdam.com -  "Valid on trams, buses and metros operated by GVB in Amsterdam. ... Amsterdam & Region Travel Ticket: 1, 2or 3 day transport pass valid on all public transport operated by GVB, Connexxion, EBS and NS in Amsterdam and the Amsterdam Area, including night buses.."
https://www.public-transport-holland.com › product › amsterdam-day-ticket  - The Amsterdam Day Ticket is valid for all trams, buses and metro's operated by the GVB. ... The GVB day or multi-day travel ticket provides you with unlimited travel ... limitationthroughout Amsterdam, day and night, on the bus, tram, and metro.

Good luck in your research and securing hotel.  If I could be so bold, often I book 2 or 3 (even for differing number of
days) hotels in a location - these can be cancelled bookings.  I have noticed rates have jumped and you can book but cancel if you research proves you want something or somewhere else.  

• 2 hours ago, hun said:

...Elisa 

On 11/12/2019 at 7:33 AM, friedaliene said:

Hi Rhonda, Of course for every traveller, budgets differ.  I have researched extensively very recently, as we are doing a T/A and we disembark in Amsterdam.  We will be there early May - which is beginning of tourist season also is 75th Anniversary of WW2.  Hotel rates are over the top.  Friends of ours who live in The Hague are recommending Lieden, Delft or Haarlem.  

Completely agree.  The main rail line (Rotterdam - Delft - The Hague - AMS Airport - Amsterdam) is fast, frequent and relatively inexpensive.  While it may seem counter intuitive, you can get a good hotel room in Delft (for example) for a 1/3 of what it costs in Amsterdam, and still only be one hour flat from downtown Amsterdam.

We saved a ton by staying in Delft, and it's an interesting small city all to itself.  

“We will be there early May - which is beginning of tourist season also is 75th Anniversary of WW2.  Hotel rates are over the top“

Hotel rates in early May are not over the top because of the WW2 75th anniversary or the start of the tourist season. For Amsterdam the tourist season starts with the blooming of the tulips which occurs around mid April. The reason that hotel prices for early May have skyrocketed is the Formula 1 Grand Prix that will be held at the Zandvoort race track. The race will be on Sunday May 3, but training and qualifying sessions will start on April 29. Zandvoort is very close to Amsterdam, so a lot of spectators and officials will stay in Amsterdam.

• Like 1

I'll not dispute the fact that Keukenhof - March 21 - May 10; the King's day Apr 27; Easter; and May 5 Liberation celebrations, all factor into high hotel rates.  There's also a regatta in The Hague in this window.  I looked at rates, Delft, The Hague, Leiden all towns that connect easily to Amsterdam via rail system.  Spring is busy no doubt, plus the travellers arriving via T/A's - it's just a lot of people.  Amsterdam, alone annually handles 300,000 cruise passengers - that's a lot of people needing a hotel.  

Amsterdam, is no different than any other large European city - London, Paris, Venice - rates are high.  It's all about "Supply / Demand". Just looking at the window May 9 - 12, there are 3 T/A's arriving at Amsterdam cruiseport -  5,000 passengers arriving and / or boarding and requiring hotel rooms.  Joanne (aka - friedaliene)

• 1 hour ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

“We will be there early May - which is beginning of tourist season also is 75th Anniversary of WW2.  Hotel rates are over the top“

Hotel rates in early May are not over the top because of the WW2 75th anniversary or the start of the tourist season. For Amsterdam the tourist season starts with the blooming of the tulips which occurs around mid April. The reason that hotel prices for early May have skyrocketed is the Formula 1 Grand Prix that will be held at the Zandvoort race track. The race will be on Sunday May 3, but training and qualifying sessions will start on April 29. Zandvoort is very close to Amsterdam, so a lot of spectators and officials will stay in Amsterdam.

Edited by friedaliene

10 minutes ago, friedaliene said:

Just looking at the window May 9 - 12, there are 3 T/A's arriving at Amsterdam cruiseport -  5,000 passengers arriving and / or boarding and requiring hotel rooms.  

Tuesday May 12th is the day of the first semi-final of the Eurovision songcontest. This event alone is expected to draw 50,000 spectators and several thousand journalists reporting the event. The GP Formula 1 is expecting 200.000 visitors, plus thousands of reporters and officials. So these 5000 cruise passengers are just a drop in the ocean compared to the numbers of these 2 huge events.

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

I realize, that 5,000 cruise passengers is small in grand scheme of things.  My dispute - isn't with tourism, nor can it be supply / demand.  It just becomes disconcerting, when a facility can command €400 per night for a room.  I grumble about room rates in Fort Lauderdale = $300 plus US a night.  It's very odd that I can book T/A passage for 14 nights, with this I get accommodation; entertainment; 3 square meals (plus if desired) for equal to 2 nights for a room in Amsterdam, may be with / without breakfast.  Yes, this is the reality of the day. If I want to travel it's what I must expect.  But, I will choose to book through a hotel over Air B'n'B.  At least, a hotelier must collect and pay to the municipality a Tourism tax - Air B'n'B's seem to have found a way around the tourism tax, as well the rules for cancellation - hold the tourist monies hostage if you want to cancel after 3 days of booking.  The host can hold and not refund the monies paid - but can re-book this same room - thereby double dipping.  Joanne (aka - friedaliene)

• 2 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Tuesday May 12th is the day of the first semi-final of the Eurovision songcontest. This event alone is expected to draw 50,000 spectators and several thousand journalists reporting the event. The GP Formula 1 is expecting 200.000 visitors, plus thousands of reporters and officials. So these 5000 cruise passengers are just a drop in the ocean compared to the numbers of these 2 huge events.

1 hour ago, friedaliene said:

Air B'n'B's seem to have found a way around the tourism tax

Not in Amsterdam. There are strict rules for Airbnb in Amsterdam. Having to collect  the 7% tourist tax is one of those rules. A limit on the occupants in an accomodation (max 4) and a limit on the maximum days a year an accomodation can be rented out are other rules.

As I stated earlier, I'm not fan of Air B'n'B - their booking policy with hosts and potential for cancelling is almost non-existent, unless you cancel booking within the 3 day window from initial booking.  I had an issue with a London, UK - booking 2019, I tried to cancel 4 days out from booking and was advised that my refund would only be half and possibly the balance if she was able to re-book (this was in prime tourist season & was 6 weeks out from my booking date.  At the same time - when Oasis T/A cruise was cancelled due to crane falling on rear decks while in dry dock - a passenger on that cruise had booked 10 days in Air B'n'B in Paris post-cruise.  Initially, she cancelled the booking and Host advised that no refund would be forth coming - and she re-booked so was going to double dip on the accommodation. After much research - and e-mailing to Corporate Air B'n'B - I was able to secure and full refund, and the Oasis traveller - got full refund after I gave her the Corporate contact names and e-mail addresses.  Municipalities with high tourism - have set in place stringent guidelines - how many days annually they can let etc.  Large tourism cities ie Paris; Amsterdam; London; Barcelona - are NOT - recovering the Hotelier tax that comes with a registered "Hotel" facility. When you book through a hotel - you have the option of taking NON-refundable rate or Refundable rate.  Even guidelines under B & B, you will have option of cancellation but - you may well have to cancel 7 / 14 days prior to your booked arrival.  Just letting you know, buyer beware - that somethings and polcies with Air B'n'B - are obscured from view.

In 2019, when I was reviewing policies for large Tourism cities - there was a disparity on municipalities guidelines and implementing them.  The "Host" of the establishment - I had booked had 5 other address locations.  And, in my investigations - and my review of British newspapers - small neighbourhood communities are not happy with the transient tourist population.  Greater - London has max number days a "HOST" can hold out her property for guests - but municipal bodies are having trouble tracking these days.  In Toronto - and surrounding municipalities - residents are unhappy with the transient tourist traffic, that the Air B'n'B brings with it.  In, London, UK - property values have escalated so high, than a normal Brit has no potential for home-ownership.  The British articles I read, quoted that in some instances, Air B'n'B - owners / operators are generating 6 figure incomes.  In, Toronto - it's been reported that rental tenants - are becoming Air B'n'B hosts - and are renting their rental unit, to individuals - that are in city to party and disrupt, the tenant community with rowdy drinking parties.  I understand this has also been the case in European cities, a rental apartment has been let under Air B'n'B - to, visiting soccer fans and that mayhem has ensued. In my research even the guidelines Amsterdam has set in place, these to in instances have been corrupted.  

Joanne (aka - friedaliene 

• 23 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

Not in Amsterdam. There are strict rules for Airbnb in Amsterdam. Having to collect  the 7% tourist tax is one of those rules. A limit on the occupants in an accomodation (max 4) and a limit on the maximum days a year an accomodation can be rented out are other rules.

• 4 weeks later...