Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 45

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, November 4 and Sunday, November 10.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

The first Tuesday in November is a public holiday here in Melbourne — in honour of a horse race (the Melbourne Cup).

The lines put on special cruises from Sydney and Brisbane for people to attend.

This year we have 2 ships at the normal terminal at Station Pier, and a third at one of the working wharves, normally for the delivery of cars and trucks. Looking  eastish, so quite a bit of morning glare.

CE0F8437-A650-4A70-9F50-A7CBA00DA64D.thumb.jpeg.27b455c1b35bed823c997658dec322f5.jpeg

E76C2E15-DBDB-4422-A827-0DF16FA2CC84.thumb.jpeg.5e827eea1b4de1a022c79cd377cac6f7.jpeg

Edited by Docker123
  • Thanks 1

This is one of the local wetlands where I photograph. Far end of my suburb.

Lots of very unhappy people as a result of this oil “spill”. It came through the main creek that feeds the ponds, and connected to the other creek emptying into the bay. I took my photos on Tuesday morning and spoke to the EPA and water company officers who were there doing the initial inspection. So sad.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/black-oil-spill-in-melbourne-s-west-seeps-into-marine-sanctuary-20191108-p538l5.html

9F813AFA-1FAF-4992-AF4D-A0E776DA6D37.thumb.jpeg.134a874b4d2da758eb4b365fa266afb6.jpeg

E8BD98E4-6E25-40B8-BAC4-18E5C67FF52C.thumb.jpeg.c660bc53f7a5f9ed2fc0e4879cb2f923.jpeg;

50530C15-2A95-454B-8C58-145C44DE8C25.thumb.jpeg.c3371ee1c57f370a264243a2d9df5e00.jpeg

Edited by Docker123

This week I'm breaking tradition and featuring a picture from the archives. As I was choosing the photo for week 45, we got a call telling us that the man pictured here walking with his brother (left) had passed away as a result of his long battle with Alzheimer's. I was 19 and he was 36 when I married his daughter. For the next 45 years he was more of a father and a friend to me than my father-in-law. He was the hardest working man I ever met and was respected and loved by everyone who knew him. Literally. Everyone. His disease took him from us slowly but this end of a truly good man was still a shock. Rest in peace Dick, and thank you for my family.

In Memoriam

p3699874172-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pierces said:

This week I'm breaking tradition and featuring a picture from the archives. As I was choosing the photo for week 45, we got a call telling us that the man pictured here walking with his brother (left) had passed away as a result of his long battle with Alzheimer's. I was 19 and he was 36 when I married his daughter. For the next 45 years he was more of a father and a friend to me than my father-in-law. He was the hardest working man I ever met and was respected and loved by everyone who knew him. Literally. Everyone. His disease took him from us slowly but this end of a truly good man was still a shock. Rest in peace Dick, and thank you for my family.

In Memoriam

p3699874172-5.jpg

Dave

Sorry for your loss Dave.

May Dick rest in peace.

Some Sunday wildlife shots from this past weekend:

The lovely male painted bunting:

original.jpg

Great blue heron sitting pretty:

original.jpg

Angry banded watersnake threatening a strike?  Actually, he had just eaten something fat, and was opening his mouth to help move the big lump down his body:

original.jpg

An ibis coming in to land, performing what I like to call the 'Crazy Ivan' maneuver - flying in gently and straight, they suddenly make a series of highly erratic and sudden turns and twists just before touchdown. (See the movie Hunt for Red October for the 'Crazy Ivan' reference):

original.jpg

An osprey headed this way with those intense yellow eyes:

original.jpg

A cool full moon rising through the sunset clouds:

original.jpg

• Like 2