Cannes Port - Any recommendations

fatpug

I will be on the NCL epic soon and porting in Cannes.  The only excursion available now is a 8 hour tour to Monaco & Eze.  I am looking for something to do in Cannes that does not take that long.   

Are there any stores or sites within walking distance of the port?

Are there any tour operators that you have used that may offer a short tour?

Thanks

This past May during our port stop in Cannes we used shoreexcursioneer.com

It was an amazing tour going to Cannes, St Paul de Vence, Antibes

We tendered in Cannes during the film festival...very busy...but easy to just walk through the city

if you don't want a tour.

We travel DIY primarily.  For Cannes we planned to take the train to Monte Carlo, then Nice, but due to a tender mix up, we lost too much time, so we only got to Nice ( the flower market in Old Town).  Then we came back and just wandered around Cannes.

We thought Cannes was a lovely city and we enjoyed walking along the streets and looking at the shops, especially the bakeries!  We walked back to the tender via the waterfront and harbor and saw where the Film Festival takes place.  Unfortunately the promenade was mostly closed off to pedestrians ... looked like they were extending the harbor.  (this was Sept on the Epic)

As I recall it was about a 20 minute walk to the Film Festival site or to the train station.  Cannes is not a big ugly industrial port like some, so the shops are very close to the pier.  The shops, hotels, etc are  easily within 10 minutes.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:20 PM, fatpug said:

I will be on the NCL epic soon and porting in Cannes.  The only excursion available now is a 8 hour tour to Monaco & Eze.  I am looking for something to do in Cannes that does not take that long.   

Are there any stores or sites within walking distance of the port?

Are there any tour operators that you have used that may offer a short tour?

Thanks

Cannes is a nice port to just get off the ship (you will tender to shore) and explore on foot if you desire to do that.  There are plenty of shops and cafes to entertain you.  There is also a nice higher-elevation hill that you can see from the waterfront which can be walked up for great views of the waterfront and your ship out in the water.  With the other heavy sightseeing ports on a Med cruise, Cannes is a nice day to just relax and soak it all in.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, mapleleaves said:

We travel DIY primarily.  For Cannes we planned to take the train to Monte Carlo, then Nice, but due to a tender mix up, we lost too much time, so we only got to Nice ( the flower market in Old Town).  Then we came back and just wandered around Cannes.

We thought Cannes was a lovely city and we enjoyed walking along the streets and looking at the shops, especially the bakeries!  We walked back to the tender via the waterfront and harbor and saw where the Film Festival takes place.  Unfortunately the promenade was mostly closed off to pedestrians ... looked like they were extending the harbor.  (this was Sept on the Epic)

As I recall it was about a 20 minute walk to the Film Festival site or to the train station.  Cannes is not a big ugly industrial port like some, so the shops are very close to the pier.  The shops, hotels, etc are  easily within 10 minutes.

Mapleleaves-was it easy to navigate the train to Nice. I am considering that for April 2020.

Kathy

Yes, it was easy once you figured a few things out !! 

We went to the ticket machine to buy our tickets. Very straightforward normally but Nice Ville didn't come up on the screen.  Turns out there are a few different train companies operating out of Cannes and they each have their own machines.  We were using the machine of a company that didn't go to Nice. duh.  I believe SNSF train or something similar was the correct train.

The other thing was ..... the train, the display on the track, and the announcement for the train don't necessarily say NICE ; it's the final destination of the train.  The display will list every stop it makes so watch for NICE to appear. Good idea to know your train # and it's final destination.  There was always a helpful local to ask if we wanted to verify we were getting on the right train. 

There were several large boards in the station with printed schedules; that's where we found the final destination of our train as well as the returning train.  Of course, we didn't notice the boards until we'd stood in line forever at the INFO booth.

All the announcements on the train were done in French and English so it was easy to know your stop. 

We ended up sitting with a lovely young woman who was attending university in Paris and was coming home to Nice to visit her parents.  She got off at Nice Ville too and told us to ride the Tram down to where the flower market is held.  I can't remember the stop now. The Market was a block from the beach so we walked to the beach and the Promenade and then walked up to the I LOVE NICE sign.  

The train from Cannes only takes about 40 minutes, and for about half the trip you're riding along the coast with beautiful views of the sea.  Nice ride.

I used www.thetrainline.com for all the ports when I was doing my research.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The train company is "SNCF" which is the main train company in France.  They operate the regional "TER" line that spans the coast between Cannes and Monte Carlo (both Antibes and Nice are along that same route).  After purchasing your ticket (no reservations necessary) make sure to validate it by inserting it in a ticket validation machine located near or on the platform.  Failure to validate can subject you to a fine.  At the Cannes train station you can either buy tickets out of a vending machine or purchase them at the ticket window (the ticket agents are used to dealing with tourists).

Here is the link to the regional TER (regional trains) site which I can only pull up in French

https://www.ter.sncf.com/sud-provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/gares/services?_ga=2.226299162.1402212806.1574455217-925541955.1567688085&_ga=2.226299162.1402212806.1574455217-925541955.1567688085

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, mapleleaves said:

This is the way we travel.  

I have usually set off on the cruise planning to visit Monaco.  I collect postcards and really want one posted from there.  We get to Livorno and are “oh let’s rest tomorrow” and Cannes is a lovely day out.  Paul Bakery gives you a chance to practice your French.  I once bought some lovely old postcards from the Old Town market.  The veg market gives you a chance to experience sticker shock for the cost of veg.  There are beach clubs or public beaches.  The Film Festival building is worth a good look around to find your favourite actors.  I have posted before, we spent our 30th Wedding anniversary on Ile St Marguerite and it was a lovely day.  DH referred to the cemetery we discovered just the other day.  Considering that our ‘honeymoon’ was a meal in Facinas a town in Andalusia, we were splurging.