Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jocap

Bonfire Night

Anyone going to a bonfire this week? Most seem to go to an organised event now, but when I was little, just after the war, everyone seemed to have a small fire in their gardens, along with a box of Standard fireworks at 7/6, or if you were rich, 10s. The fire crew were on alert all night, and there were plenty of call-outs...  😮

We don't usually bother nowadays, but I do miss the food- potatoes half cooked in the fire; black sausages, treacle toffee and parkin.

16 hours ago, jocap said:

Anyone going to a bonfire this week? Most seem to go to an organised event now, but when I was little, just after the war, everyone seemed to have a small fire in their gardens, along with a box of Standard fireworks at 7/6, or if you were rich, 10s. The fire crew were on alert all night, and there were plenty of call-outs...  😮

We don't usually bother nowadays, but I do miss the food- potatoes half cooked in the fire; black sausages, treacle toffee and parkin.

Brings back great memories. We used to built the bonfire in one of the local farmer's fields, 🙂 as we lived in a small village. It wasn't a small fire, as we scrounged around for days looking for anything that would burn. Even when I left UK back in the 80's they were trying to stop private events and have a city bonfire at the St Andrews beach. Not sure if they continued.

Much preferred our local event.

We had bonfire night when we were kids but being in Australia we did it in winter (fire restrictions in summer). We would celebrate the Queen's birthday in June as a long weekend (I know her birthday is in April). We also had fireworks and such but those days have long gone, now only commercial entities are allowed to purchase fireworks and do their displays for the public.

Yes, Mic, it's Guy Fawkes night, and we used to make a Guy and beg for coppers to buy fireworks. In Yorkshire, the previous night was Mischief Night, and that Guy would be dragged about and left in the middle of the pavement for strangers who thought it was someone in an accident. It was a much bigger night than Halloween, which was just a hollowed turnip with a candle in it, and a ghost story- a bit frowned upon by the village chapel folk.

When we did bonfire night it was a whole community / street party and many more would come. Everyone would contribute.