London Hotel Help

rdt10

I'm looking at the Royal Horseguards Hotel, Conrad London St. James Hotel or the Rubens at the Palace Hotel for 3 nights in London before our cruise the end of August next year. We have been to London once several years ago and saw the Tower of London and Windsor Castle, but not much else. We plan to tour Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey and possibly go to Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) as we haven't done them before.

Any suggestions about these hotels or others in the area would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at TripAdvisor and they all look good and the prices are similar. I've found first hand feedback from cruise critic members to be very helpful.

Thanks. Rick

We stayed for 7 nights at the Conrad St. James several years ago and loved it... Definitely upgrade to the lounge access... we did that and spent a lot of time in there... For me, the Diet Coke availability was worth the cost of the lounge access... We actually ate our dinner in there several nights too... And the location of the hotel is great - we walked to Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace, and there is a Tube station right across the street from the hotel entrance.  We also walked to the Churchill War rooms, which I also recommend if you are a history or WWII buff..  We are booked on a May 2021 British Isles cruise and are still trying to decide whether to spend the night before the cruise in London, Southampton or somewhere else... but if we end up staying in London, we will most likely stay at the Conrad St. James again... Enjoy!

17 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

Someone recently did a trip report ? bimmer?

on the Celebrity forum and they stayed at the horse guards hotel. 

I have been following his report. His review of the Horseguards Hotel is what made me look into it. We are doing the same Norway cruise next year and looking for a room in London pre-cruise.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rdt10 said:

Thanks for all of the comments on the Conrad St James.  I've booked a king executive room with lounge access. Is the lounge breakfast a full breakfast or continental? 

Rick

It is moderate sized buffet. 4 or 5 hot items, a number of cold items, including cheese and meats, as well as breads and pastries. Coffee, tea, juices, etc.

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It is moderate sized buffet. 4 or 5 hot items, a number of cold items, including cheese and meats, as well as breads and pastries. Coffee, tea, juices, etc.

That sounds great. Thanks for all of your help.

Rick

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

When we were there several years ago, you could also ask for something not on the buffet and they would get it for you from the restaurant... I don’t know if they still do that, but my husband got waffles several times that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 November 2019 at 11:41 PM, rdt10 said:

Thanks for all of the comments on the Conrad St James.  I've booked a king executive room with lounge access. Is the lounge breakfast a full breakfast or continental? 

Rick

Try to make time for strolling through St James Park - very close and absolutely delightful. It's a favourite pastime of our family as there is so much to see and is beautiful especially in the summer. An oasis of calm in a busy city......

13 hours ago, Morgans said:

Try to make time for strolling through St James Park - very close and absolutely delightful. It's a favourite pastime of our family as there is so much to see and is beautiful especially in the summer. An oasis of calm in a busy city......

Thank you. The Park looks great. We like to wander and see great areas like this.

Rick

On 11/8/2019 at 5:41 PM, rdt10 said:

Rick

I see that you have already booked and that my post is a bit late, but thought I would share anyway. We stayed at The Royal Horseguards for one night pre cruise. We loved the hotel, so much history and the location was perfect. I had done a review of our cruise but have learned that the photo host company has closed and the pics posted are gone. Here pics from our room, the view and a couple of the lobby area.

P1000339.thumb.JPG.39fbf46c86678f7e3466443dc6816535.JPG

P1000340.thumb.JPG.c9e71fe8ab30348b4d1328b3f7821e66.JPG

P1000312.thumb.JPG.a11cbf563abe8ffa60d2f1b8b7f16af6.JPG

P1000315.thumb.JPG.f97b294d6b490a2e4586ed051be80b31.JPG

P1000314.thumb.JPG.f099fbc619203aefc326ff871a8a9c51.JPG

P1000319.thumb.JPG.4540a3cd579a3e2cc391ba01045b196b.JPG

Thanks Kevin's Girl. I originally booked a room at the Royal Horseguards and switched to the Conrad for the lounge access. I'll keep watching both and may let the price decide. I don't think I could go wrong with either.

Rick

• Like 1

We stayed for 7 nights at the Rubens at Buckingham palace.   Beautiful hotel and great location.  Our room had a view of royal mews.   Great restaurants and bar here too.   Close to the train and underground station. Easy 2 block walk with luggage.  We highly recommend

My Brother and his wife stayed here for long weekend in september and they loved it too!

17 hours ago, rdt10 said:

Thanks Kevin's Girl. I originally booked a room at the Royal Horseguards and switched to the Conrad for the lounge access. I'll keep watching both and may let the price decide. I don't think I could go wrong with either.

Rick

We also stayed a couple of nights at the Westminster Park Plaza. We had what was called an Iconic View" room that was amazing.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, shippmates said:

We are staying at the Sanctuary House Hotel for several days in between cruises.  If any one has stayed here, please give me your thoughts.  Looking for an authentic English pub or any other good dining suggestions.   

Well, the Sanctuary House *is* a popular pub downstairs, part of the Fullers ‘Ale and Pie’ chain, which will serve you decent ale and pub food. It is only about 20 years old, though, like many similar pubs in central London.  It has a large lounge and can get very busy in the evening, but it may have an area reserved for hotel guests dining. 

I haven't stayed there, but it gets very well reviewed as a hotel, including I think once or twice on this board. I think it’s a brilliant location, but do not compare it to other hotels mentioned on this thread - it’s a small hotel with room above a pub. 

For other pubs nearby, I’d suggest trying the Two Chairmen and the Westminster Arms, both of which have significantly more history! There aren’t a significant number of restaurants close by, but ‘good dining suggestions’ is so subjective as to be almost meaningless anyway. 

• Like 1