Best way to get from Quebec City to Montreal for a Cruise/

OurDogCisco

I'm not having luck with the search function so wondering if there is already a topic on this or if anyone has any suggestions.  We are taking a Canada/New England cruise that sails from Montreal but we will be spending a few days in Quebec City before the cruise.  What would be our best transportation to the port from Quebec City?  Should we rent a car?

Thanks

I suggest the train. There are 2 stations in Quebec, Gare du Palais and Ste-Foy. The former is easily accessible from the central part as well as old part of Quebec City. Ste-Foy, in cas your hotel is rather (quite further) west. 

Your train will arrive in downtown Montreal, a short taxi ride from your ship.  Gare Centrale is just under the Queen Elizabeth hotel. Tons of taxis.

A bus ride is cheap, but longer. 

Renting a car would be my last choice.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:51 AM, Zephyr173 said:

I suggest the train. There are 2 stations in Quebec, Gare du Palais and Ste-Foy. The former is easily accessible from the central part as well as old part of Quebec City. Ste-Foy, in cas your hotel is rather (quite further) west. 

Your train will arrive in downtown Montreal, a short taxi ride from your ship.  Gare Centrale is just under the Queen Elizabeth hotel. Tons of taxis.

A bus ride is cheap, but longer. 

Renting a car would be my last choice.

Thank you.  Sorry to take so long to respond.  I’ve never ridden a train with luggage.  How do they store your luggage?  Do you need to buy train tickets in advance?   Is there a website that is trustworthy?   Thanks...

On 11/5/2019 at 4:04 AM, Nitemare said:

It's a little over 3 hours on the Montreal/Quebec Express.

Thank you for your response.   How do i buy tickets and do I need to buy on advance?  How do they store your luggage?  I haven’t ridden a train with luggage.  

The train company is calle Via Rail, and the web site is ViaRail.ca

The corridor between Québec and Windsor is the busiest is Canada, and yet travel is not so crowded; but that means it is safer to buy your tickets in advance. There are all the modern options for your boarding pass: on your phone, print at home, print at the station. 

There are luggage racks at the end of each car.  Ample space. I have never had an issue, and I usually have my « cruise » luggage even when I go to Quebec on business.  You can easily fit large suitcases in those racks.  While the racks are not usually full, if you’re one of the last passengers to board, you might have to wrestle other people’s stuff to fit yours in.

Business class offers access to a lounge in some stations, as well as a warm meal. The food is actually good.  Drinks are also offered in business. In economy, everything is for a fee.  Affordable, but not memorable. You can bring your own food on board, but your own alcohol is illegal (if you plan ahead, remember you can’t see through a paper cup or a travel mug...)

I’m not entirely sure there is a lounge at the Quebec station.  Bear in mind your seats are reserved, and there are no security checks other than the boarding passes. You can arrive at the Quebec station with only minutes to spare.  From the entrance to your seat, you can expect less than 10 minutes.  Just remember the luggage issue. 

Hope this helps. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:50 AM, Zephyr173 said:

The train company is calle Via Rail, and the web site is ViaRail.ca

The corridor between Québec and Windsor is the busiest is Canada, and yet travel is not so crowded; but that means it is safer to buy your tickets in advance. There are all the modern options for your boarding pass: on your phone, print at home, print at the station. 

There are luggage racks at the end of each car.  Ample space. I have never had an issue, and I usually have my « cruise » luggage even when I go to Quebec on business.  You can easily fit large suitcases in those racks.  While the racks are not usually full, if you’re one of the last passengers to board, you might have to wrestle other people’s stuff to fit yours in.

Business class offers access to a lounge in some stations, as well as a warm meal. The food is actually good.  Drinks are also offered in business. In economy, everything is for a fee.  Affordable, but not memorable. You can bring your own food on board, but your own alcohol is illegal (if you plan ahead, remember you can’t see through a paper cup or a travel mug...)

I’m not entirely sure there is a lounge at the Quebec station.  Bear in mind your seats are reserved, and there are no security checks other than the boarding passes. You can arrive at the Quebec station with only minutes to spare.  From the entrance to your seat, you can expect less than 10 minutes.  Just remember the luggage issue. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you!  Helps a lot.  We ended up renting a car because we have to pick someone up from the airport.    I found it cheaper to rent a car through Enterprise.   I'll report back on the experience since it seems most prefer the train.  We will be using the train in May throughout Europe so if I change my mind I can cancel the rental car for our July cruise and do the train.

Edited by OurDogCisco