Cruise Critic Community
DCCruiser57

Silver Shadow Drydock

Is she making the westbound crossing of the Atlantic without guests so that work can continue while the ship is en route?

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I will be aboard her on December 9!

We look forward to your report!

16 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I will be aboard her on December 9!

Brave soul.  When we were told about the plans last February, we were excited by many of the proposed changes.  Can hardly wait to hear what you think once you've sailed her!

We left her in Athens, last Saturday just as hoards of workmen were queuing up to board.

Overall we were disappointed in what was on offer and based on what we saw we decided against booking another cruise on that ship. There are a couple of others we fancy but we wouldn't go back to the Shadow.

4 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We left her in Athens, last Saturday just as hoards of workmen were queuing up to board.

Overall we were disappointed in what was on offer and based on what we saw we decided against booking another cruise on that ship. There are a couple of others we fancy but we wouldn't go back to the Shadow.

Can I ask what you saw that urned you off about booking the Shadow again?  The ship or was it the upcoming itineraries?   

When we joined the ship it was our intention to book another cruise on the Shadow as we had seen a couple of itineraries we really fancied so ...

Our reasons for disappointment and not booking ... apart from no cruise consultant on board ...

Without going into too much depth we found the whole ‘catering’ management a bit of a shambles. 

La T ... the buffet at both breakfast and lunch was like a bear garden when it started to get busy .... the staff say that the buffet area will remain the same size and that there will be no enlargement. All the refurb work that is scheduled is cosmetic .... so at the end of the day it will still be as cramped and busy.

Service was dire at times. It was not unusual to wait 15mins for a glass of wine.

Staff could not cope.

An horrendous amount of flies in the restaurant and buffet area. The cheese was affected quite badly. Staff say is because the doors have been opened too much??? This was outgunned by Mrs B finding a live caterpillar on her lettuce .... could have been worse I suppose ... it could have been half a caterpillar 😁

Apologies were made but even so? Good job it was in the Med as an inspection in the USA would have caused uproar!

MDR & La T at dinner: Once it started to get busy it became unglued .. staff could not cope. Upgrade the previous 15 mins to 25 mins on one MDR occasion! La T coped better at dinner.
Don’t get me wrong ... the food was generally fine but the service was not so much spotty as suffering from severe acne and at times you were made to feel like a nuisance.

And yes I did put the comments on the on board review.
There were a couple of other issues relating to excursions that added to the general disappointment but that is nothing to do with the ship ... just the staff, so the problems could have happened anywhere.

Yikes!  Thx for posting what transpired on your voyage MBP&O2/O.  I would have been ticked too and completely lost it if a caterpillar was found in my salad, alive or dead!.  Glad we were fortunate to have had an incredible voyage on the Shadow this past winter in Asia.