March Weather

abfine3

We are planning a cruise from Athens to Barcelona. We would prefer to go in May but could save a lot of money going in March. The info I've found indicates temps in the 40 to 60 range in March. Is that accurate? If anyone has gone at that time of year I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

We did Athens to Rome 15 years ago and it was warmer , perfect weather for walking around , even did pool on ship one day. Much rather do March than May , did similar cruise a couple of years ago in September and it was way to hot. 

As with any weather questions, past experience does not dictate what you will experience. However, have been in the Meddy extensively most months of the year and only storms were in Jan/Feb. For temperature, I find it comfortable year round, although it can get hot in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

As with any weather questions, past experience does not dictate what you will experience. However, have been in the Meddy extensively most months of the year and only storms were in Jan/Feb. For temperature, I find it comfortable year round, although it can get hot in the summer.

Perfectly explained. One person saying "it was great" or "it was cold" is anecdotal, and one point.  Better to Google search for the weather history in a couple of your ports...try for example "Rome March weather" to see the range you can prepare for.

March is not a bad time of year in the Western Med. Whilst it will not be overly hot,  it should be reasonably warm. The main advantage is that there will be far fewer tourists about than in the summer months! 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

March is not a bad time of year in the Western Med. Whilst it will not be overly hot,  it should be reasonably warm. The main advantage is that there will be far fewer tourists about than in the summer months! 

Agree.  We did a similar itinerary as OP in July one year - never again!  It was stinking hot and the ports were overrun with tourists.  I'll take Spring or Autumn over Summer in the Med anytime.

I've been sunburnt in Spain in March, when it was 30C, but be aware that there can be rain and cloudy days, so always have a jacket handy.

We were in Barcelona, watching the new Symphony of the Seas leave for her first cruise, in 2017, and a mistral wind caught her and stayed with her for 3 or 4 days- definitely jacket weather.  

We've spent Easter holidays in the Med many times, and would agree that on the whole, it's comfortable, mild but not always beach-warm.