New

Happyhens

My husband and I just started looking for a cruise to Alaska. For us getting the best possible price is important since we’ve budgeted tightly for this adventure. 
We live in Florida so it makes sense to fly to Seattle. Are there any secrets on securing lower pricing and is booking with a cruise line direct equal to booking through a travel site and/or agency? All your feedback is welcomed😊

1 hour ago, Happyhens said:

My husband and I just started looking for a cruise to Alaska. For us getting the best possible price is important since we’ve budgeted tightly for this adventure. 
We live in Florida so it makes sense to fly to Seattle. Are there any secrets on securing lower pricing and is booking with a cruise line direct equal to booking through a travel site and/or agency? All your feedback is welcomed😊

For me, personally, I prefer to sail out of Vancouver (less time in the open ocean).  

Generally, you can get lower airfare costs by purchasing directly, not letting the cruise line provide airfare.

Booking through a TA will, often, give you some perks (Onboard credit, free dinner at the upcharge dining venues, or other things).  The price you actually pay either through a TA or with the cruise line will be the same.  

If you really want the best price, wait until June or July when 'fill the ship' prices are published.  Sadly this may mean higher airfare.

Otherwise, late August into September is good.  I prefer August as the days are still long.  September can be iffy with weather and the daylight begins to shorten.

We also prefer sailing out of Vancouver, one way, returning from Anchorage.  And our cruise line of choice is Princess [tho not Royal Class ships] (HAL in 2nd place).

If you are experienced with searching on your own, then do so, otherwise I would encourage you to work with a travel agent (TA), since price is foremost and you also need airfare. A good TA can help you by knowing which cruise lines offer the best perks. For example, earlier this year NCL had some cruises with airfare included or at a reduced rate. We have used cruise line airfare with Holland America and had no issues with the service, and we have also searched for and booked our flights first, then booked the cruise afterwards (it was a transatlantic, so we were searching for the best return flight.)

OP: welcome to Cruise Critic!

In terms of booking through a Travel Agent, know that the TA will then control your booking.  If you want to change your cabin, or if you find a price drop, etc., you will have to go through the TA, the cruise line will not speak to you.  (Some folks are not comfortable giving up that sort of control.)

In terms of Alaska, while an Alaska cruise is beautiful, even more incredible is spending some time on land driving around before or after your cruise.  If you have the time and resources to do that, I highly recommend it.  (In that case, you'd be looking for a one-way cruise, starting or ending in Alaska.)

For more information on Alaska cruises, the Alaska port of call forum here on Cruise Critic is a good place to start:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/ 

And a tip for your future thread titles: it's best to have the title be as specific as possible to the subject of your question or comment, as you'll then draw readers who have relevant information.  

Good luck!

Howdy Happyhens! emo22.gif

Thank you for your first post and welcome to Cruise Critic! 👍

I did some research for you. 👀  Here are some Cruise Critic articles that I sincerely hope will be helpful: 

Top 8 Things You Can Do on the Cruise Critic Message Boards to Enhance Your Cruise

How to Find the Best Cruise Bargains in 2019 (Note the section re Alaska)

14 Tips for Finding Cheap Cruise Deals

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

Cruise Line Air Packages: Pros and Cons

And saving the best one especially just for you emo3.gif :

How Not to Go Nuts Planning for Your Cruise

Cruise Critic is a great resource and we are so glad to have you here! emo34.gif  Please feel free to browse the Categories list. Read a few threads in various forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Personaly, my Alaska cruise was my favorite. Hope it will be for you and your DH too! (FYI: DH is Cruise Critic speak for Dear Husband.)

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to a new member and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

I just wanted to remind you, since your budget is limited, the costs associated with what you will be doing off the ship can very often amount to much more than the cruise itself.  Excursions in Alaska just because of what you will be doing. It's not that you can't limit these costs, but if you want to fit in as much of the Alaskan experience as possible, it will get expensive. 

I would suggest getting a good idea on itinerary and what you might want to do at each port of call first. On this site, there is a lot of information available on the "port of call"  Alaska threads, as well as Canada (Alaska/Pacific costal). Also be sure to look at the "North American homeports", west coast departures. There you will find a lot of information on Seattle, or Vancouver, taking about transportation, accommodations etc. 

Once you have decided what you want to do off the ship, then you can decide on the ship itself. You will have to decide on the itinerary, then see which ships will actually go where you want to go, when you want to go. If you have a few choices (between cruise lines) you can ask on the cruise line threads on this site questions that might relevant to you in deciding. Of course actual cruise cost will be more dependent your cabin choices. The difference between an inside cabin and a high end suite can be staggering. To a lesser degree if you sail at the beginning or end of the season, the prices will be lower. If you are "very" flexible with your time you may find some real bargains y waiting till the last minute to book, but then your cabin choices will be limited and your airfare costs would likely wipe out any savings.

So start doing your research and as you have questions, come back and ask. You don't say if your are an experienced cruiser, but I would suggest you ask all your questions "before" you commit to any cash expense. It is seen here that most often people are upset about things they didn't understand, but could have if they had just asked. 

have a great cruise

I know that some will disagree, but since you mentioned budget, I will recommend booking an Inside (or Oceanview) cabin, not a balcony.  In Alaska, the prices differences are huge.  When we sailed there, we had a balcony, and we only used it once, for an hour or so.  We spent every day, all day, out on the upper decks.  The scenery in all directions was so worth watching, as well as wildlife in unpredictable directions.  The view from a balcony is very limited.  

It pays to study the ports and excursions.  In some ports, you don't need an excursion at all, or you can use a local bus service for just a few dollars.

• Like 1

OP: as you've likely found out, a big cost of a cruise vacation is airfare.
You mention flying into Seattle from you home in Florida.
Consider flights to Vancouver BC, too, where many more cruises begin and end. Vancouver subway connects the airport directly with the cruise terminal.
Also consider flying into one of these cities and sailing from the other. There are several land transport options between Seattle and Vancouver.

22 hours ago, Happyhens said:

When my wife and I did our Alaska cruise, we were on a fairly modest budget.  Here were the areas where we saved money:

1. May and September cruises are cheaper.  We took one of the first cruises in May.
  2. Airfare is usually cheaper if you start and end in the same city, but cruise fare may be cheaper if you start and end in different cities.  For us, the cheapest option was to fly in to Seattle, take the train to Vancouver, cruise out of Vancouver, cruise back to Seattle, then fly home ... even counting the AirBnB due to the extra overnight.
  3. We stayed in an Oceanview cabin, but interior would have been even cheaper.
  4. Perhaps the biggest savings was through the shore excursions.  I researched through the CruiseCritic boards and through Tripadvisor, instead of going through the cruise line.  It's a bit time-intensive, but results in the best value and the best excursions.
  5. Most cruise lines will allow you to each bring one bottle of wine aboard.  Remember to pack your own (inexpensive) corkscrew (and one that lacks any kind of knife on it).  I've heard of people having the corkscrews confiscated, so we'll pack a couple different ones into different pieces of luggage.  So far, we haven't lost a corkscrew.
  6. Other than that, you can save money by avoiding drinking on board and avoiding specialty food options.
  • Like 1

Use a TA who is an Alaska Expert with Princess. (You don’t have to book Princess, but they will have had additional training). Glacier Bay should be a must. Balcony not a must. Princess  and Holland America have the bulk of Glacier Bay licenses. Round Trip from Seattle head north on the Pacific Ocean side of Vancouver Island and the sea can be rough. One way and round trip Vancouver head up between the mainland of BC and the island, calling for calmer water and nice scenery.  May should have the least amount of rain days.  You will need a passport to travel from Vancouver. Check Swoop airlines.

It's good that you are doing this research now, before you have made any deposits.  Others have given some good points for you to consider and I'd like to add another: consider a hotel room cost so you can fly in the day before sailing. 

Many veteran members here will advise you to never, ever, plan to fly in on embarkation day because things can and do happen.  Weather delays, mechanical problems, or incoming aircraft can be late for the flight that you wanted to take.  You're flying from Florida to Seattle or Vancouver which is diagonally across the continental US.  If you are on a tight budget that means that you will be on connecting flights rather than a direct non-stop.  

You'll also see the contrary advice, as in some saything that they "don't have the luxury" to fly in a day early or, "...been on 23 cruises, always flew in the same day, never had a problem..."  From what you've told us it would be very risky for you to fly in on the day of sailing.  Everything would have to go just right starting with your first flight taking off as scheduled.

Alaska cruises are also affected by something called the "PVSA" or "Passenger Vessel Services Act".  Foreign flagged ships cannot, by US law, transport passengers directly between one US port and another without first stopping at a "distant foreign port".  That's why most Alaska cruises start out or include a call at Vancouver, Canada.   From time to time we get posts here from those who missed an embarkation at Vancouver - usually due to flight delays - and were then denied boarding for the rest of the sailing. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, Happyhens said:

Budget - Early & late season (May & Sept/Oct) are generally the cheapest. Based on personal experience, I always suggest May over Sept/Oct. May is generally has reasonable weather & low rainfall. May also has longer periods of daylight and some remnants of snow on the mountains.

Sept/Oct has decreasing daylight and a higher risk of storms. I worked Alaska cruises for 2 consecutive seasons and we experienced a significant Sept storm each year.

With respect to cabin, we normally book a balcony, but in Alaska, always opt of an inside cabin due to the longer daylight hours.

Departure Port - Seattle is 100 miles further from Alaska and due to PVSA must only offer R/T cruises, so in addition to potential rough seas, you only see the commercial SE Alaska. Vancouver has R/T & 1-way options to/from Whittier/Seward, which includes Prince William Sound.

If considering a Seattle departure, I suggest comparing in-port times, as the Seattle ships must travel further and must also visit Victoria to comply with PVSA. The previous reply pertaining to PVSA is not accurate. On R/T cruises, the ship is required to visit a foreign port, which includes Canadian ports. Most Seattle cruises make a short stop in Victoria. If the cruise is not R/T, then you must visit a "Distant Foreign Port", of which none are available, within reason.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With respect to cabin, we normally book a balcony, but in Alaska, always opt of an inside cabin due to the longer daylight hours.

We booked an inside cabin for a June cruise and, boy, were we glad. Just a sliver of light under the door.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:51 PM, clo said:

Screw top is even easier and darn good wines also.

In principle, I agree that screw top is easier, and that many of those wines are very good wines.  However, I generally purchase my wine in the city of departure, rather than packing it in my luggage for the flight.  (Especially after the time a full bottle of wine was broken inside my wife's luggage by the baggage handlers.)  In order to keep my options open when shopping for wine in the port city, I pack some corkscrews.

Edited by FlyingFlip
  • Like 1

One advantage to a good travel agent is, they can sort through the options and give you advice based on the overall price with everything.  If you do it on your own, you will be juggling excursion prices, perks included or not included, etc, etc.  And even airfare.  A higher cruise fare may cost less because the airfare through the cruise line is cheaper.

They will also provide you with some perks, including on board credit that you can use to pay for things.

If you have not cruised before, realize that the cruise fare you see advertised, is NOT the minimum price you will pay.  There will be taxes and port fees.  There will be gratuities for the staff.  And, as mentioned, excursions.  For some cruises, you might do without, but for Alaska, you really want to see and do things.

Beyond that, alcoholic drinks are extra (but may be included in some perks packages), as are sodas.  There will be water, coffee, juice (from concentrate), tea (iced and hot), and flavored waters for free.   They will likely be extra cost restaurants on board, but you can avoid these, as there is plenty of food included in your cruise fare.

For airfare, prices tend to be cheaper mid week.  So a Wed to Wed cruise might have significantly lower airfare than a Sat to Sat cruise.

Of course, there is also the issue of finding a GOOD travel agent.   I would talk to several, and see what your gut reaction to them is, and also what package and pricing they can come up with.  Just because you talk to one and they work up a package for you, does not mean you can't talk to others.  Shop around.

I agree with many of the recommendations except the use of a TA. For budget travelers, TAs usually don't present much of a value and like others have said, control the booking. 

I can't tell how "budget" oriented you are, but here are some random thoughts. I have sailed in almost all cabin types, from inside to penthouse suites and now book insides almost all the time. I'm not a "relaxer," so that makes a difference. Like a booking agent told me "Go with an inside...this isn't a prison ship."

Find a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. You will see glaciers calving.  Alaska allows only two ships in a day at GB and HAL and Princess tend to have many of the permits based on the archaic rewarding of permits for seniority.

Alaskan excursions tend to make the cruise experience more expensive. Find private companies like Harv and Marv for whale watching (there are other good ones.) and Chilkoot for excursions in Skagway.  Go tot he Alaska board for this info.

I teach travel classes (I'm not an agent!) and advise people to find out something about WHO you are getting advice from. Taking advice from a person who has a great deal of money to spend or someone who wants to be catered to might not be relevant to the budget conscious cruiser.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I agree with many of the recommendations except the use of a TA. For budget travelers, TAs usually don't present much of a value and like others have said, control the booking. 

So finding the cheapest rate does not help budget travelers?

And providing free perks or OBC (CASH) does not help budget travelers?

Or monitoring for price drops and applying them does not help budget travelers?

Or monitoring for free upgrades due to price drops after final payment does not help budget travelers?

And what does "controlling their own booking" do for budget travelers?

I do agree that you need to know the basis behind the advice you are being given.  

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

So finding the cheapest rate does not help budget travelers?

And providing free perks or OBC (CASH) does not help budget travelers?

Or monitoring for price drops and applying them does not help budget travelers?

Or monitoring for free upgrades due to price drops after final payment does not help budget travelers?

And what does "controlling their own booking" do for budget travelers?

I do agree that you need to know the basis behind the advice you are being given.  

Of course all the above applies, but the reality is that it is difficult to find this type of TA for the budget cruiser. With a bit of knowledge, mostly gained from the savvy cruisers on this board, I can do all the above on my own. For example, I am going on a seven day MSC cruise to the Caribbean in the winter on the Seaside and paid $445.55 pp. What motivation for doing all the above would a TA have for me? OBC for budget cruisers is very small and sometimes is offered directly from the cruise line anyway. We all need to access what we think is a value.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Of course all the above applies, but the reality is that it is difficult to find this type of TA for the budget cruiser. With a bit of knowledge, mostly gained from the savvy cruisers on this board, I can do all the above on my own. For example, I am going on a seven day MSC cruise to the Caribbean in the winter on the Seaside and paid $445.55 pp. What motivation for doing all the above would a TA have for me? OBC for budget cruisers is very small and sometimes is offered directly from the cruise line anyway. We all need to access what we think is a value.

OBC from the TA is in ADDITION to the OBC from the cruise line.

I just booked an 8 night through my TA.  $379 pp.  I got $50 OBC from cruise line (non-refundable) and will get some amount (probably around $100) from my TA.  

Just saying to not use a TA, is throwing money away.

And why should a budget cruiser have any harder a time than for a savvy cruiser?

Oh, are you managed to do that as an EXPERIENCED cruiser.  Not a first timer.

Now, in picking a TA, there are something to check on, like additional fees.  But my TA charges NOTHING extra, for any service. So the OBC is free.