Carnival Cruise Lost Our Makeup Bag?

MaddieD93

I'm on a carnival cruise with my kids to celebrate a recent promotion and one of our garment bags has completely disappeared. It had all of our makeup, skincare, and cosmetics  (deodorant, hair stuff, perfumes etc.) and some clothes for formal night. Today is our second day and it still hasn't come. I have two self conscious teenage daughters who are used to having their makeup and a boy my 15 year old has a crush on is also on the cruise. Getting them to leave the cabin has been like pulling teeth (not to mention I don't exactly feel perfect going on public looking like I just woke up.) This is starting to be a serious drag on the experience and guest services hasn't been able to do anything about it. Any ideas?

40 minutes ago, MaddieD93 said:

I'm on a carnival cruise with my kids to celebrate a recent promotion and one of our garment bags has completely disappeared. It had all of our makeup, skincare, and cosmetics  (deodorant, hair stuff, perfumes etc.) and some clothes for formal night. Today is our second day and it still hasn't come. I have two self conscious teenage daughters who are used to having their makeup and a boy my 15 year old has a crush on is also on the cruise. Getting them to leave the cabin has been like pulling teeth (not to mention I don't exactly feel perfect going on public looking like I just woke up.) This is starting to be a serious drag on the experience and guest services hasn't been able to do anything about it. Any ideas?

Others I'm sure will give you good advice on settling your claim.  But can you get a version of the needed HABA's (health and beauty aids) from some shop(s) on the ship?  Or at a port?  If you have to pay for these items you'll of course keep receipts and certainly they'll reimburse you.  Won't they?  Re "formal nights," from what I understand Carnival can be very casual.  But if you don't want to go that route then perhaps a different dining venue.

25 minutes ago, alidor said:

I would think they would give you some complimentary products to use or give you some money to purchase some items you would need.

I thought the same thing but apparently there is a shortage of cosmetic supplies on the ship. They don't even provide makeup at the spa. 😵

23 minutes ago, clo said:

Others I'm sure will give you good advice on settling your claim.  But can you get a version of the needed HABA's (health and beauty aids) from some shop(s) on the ship?  Or at a port?  If you have to pay for these items you'll of course keep receipts and certainly they'll reimburse you.  Won't they?  Re "formal nights," from what I understand Carnival can be very casual.  But if you don't want to go that route then perhaps a different dining venue.

We're docking tomorrow at about 1:00. I'm having a hard time finding anywhere to get makeup on the ship. I guess we'll just have to rough it out natural for another day.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Ports?

We're docking in Barbados tomorrow but I'm not sure what kind of quality the makeup will be there. I'll probably end up getting some makeup and hair stuff if we can find it just so we don't have to be totally bare faced.

13 minutes ago, MaddieD93 said:

We're docking in Barbados tomorrow but I'm not sure what kind of quality the makeup will be there. I'll probably end up getting some makeup and hair stuff if we can find it just so we don't have to be totally bare faced.

Absolutely.  Don't worry about quality 🙂  I'm not a real "girly-girl" but I'm 72 and rarely go outside 'au natural' 🙂 

6 minutes ago, clo said:

Absolutely.  Don't worry about quality 🙂  I'm not a real "girly-girl" but I'm 72 and rarely go outside 'au natural' 🙂 

Same! I'm 41 but need to put at least something on before leaving the house or I end up feeling naked all day. Like I look.in the mirror and realize I have no eyelashes and get freaked out. 😖

• Haha 1

Do you mean that one of your bags never made it onto the ship?  Have you asked to check through the unclaimed luggage yourself?  I can't imagine having my make-up lost for the duration; like you, I'd be scouring the shops onboard for something.  Failing that, as you said, Barbados it is, for whatever you can find to tide you over.  Keep your receipts, as I'm sure you'll be filing a claim with your insurer on your return.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaddieD93 said:

We're docking tomorrow at about 1:00. I'm having a hard time finding anywhere to get makeup on the ship. I guess we'll just have to rough it out natural for another day.

There should be a makeup store, but it is generally higher end/pricy make-up.  I don't think you will find Maybelline, etc.  You should be able to find lip balm/gloss in the basic gift shop (probably also a ridiculous mark-up) and sunglasses can cover the no-lashes look.

Hoping your bag turns up soon.

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

There should be a makeup store, but it is generally higher end/pricy make-up.  I don't think you will find Maybelline, etc.  You should be able to find lip balm/gloss in the basic g

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

There should be a makeup store, but it is generally higher end/pricy make-up.  I don't think you will find Maybelline, etc.  You should be able to find lip balm/gloss in the basic gift shop (probably also a ridiculous mark-up) and sunglasses can cover the no-lashes look.

Hoping your bag turns up soon.

Thank you! Our bag still hasn't turned up unfortunately. Sadly there isn't anywhere on the ship that sells makeup. When we stopped in Barbados I made sure to get some mascara and lip balm so we didn't have to go totally barefaced for the rest of the cruise. We've definitely been rocking our sunglasses since our makeup disappeared.

13 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Do you mean that one of your bags never made it onto the ship?  Have you asked to check through the unclaimed luggage yourself?  I can't imagine having my make-up lost for the duration; like you, I'd be scouring the shops onboard for something.  Failing that, as you said, Barbados it is, for whatever you can find to tide you over.  Keep your receipts, as I'm sure you'll be filing a claim with your insurer on your return.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

They don't know where our bag is. It probably never even made it on the ship 😵 The first day I definitely scoured around looking for a shop that sells makeup but we couldn't find anything. My daughter didn't even want to take a shower because her makeup would come off (I made her anyway.) Thankfully we got makeup now, although it isn't much. I will try to get reimbursed.

I'm so sorry your bag still hasn't shown up.  My last cruise it was very confusing at luggage drop off due to some delays with the ship and I felt very nervous with how the staff said to leave the bags.  They both arrived, but I didn't like the "just leave it with all the others" approach when before we would see them loaded onto a cart.

I'm glad you could get what you needed at Barbados and apologize for my misinformation.  I'm used to there being higher end makeup sold along with the perfumes in the "pricy" gift shops.  I thought I've seen lip balm/lip gloss at the basic stores, but all of those were just browsing and not actually looking to purchase.

I'm glad you convinced DD to shower 😄 No make-up is a pain, but breakouts from not washing - or worse, eye infection - is no fun either.  Hopefully you all can look back on it as a lesson that you are beautiful with or without make-up 🙂 

8 hours ago, MaddieD93 said:

They don't know where our bag is. It probably never even made it on the ship 😵 The first day I definitely scoured around looking for a shop that sells makeup but we couldn't find anything. My daughter didn't even want to take a shower because her makeup would come off (I made her anyway.) Thankfully we got makeup now, although it isn't much. I will try to get reimbursed.

How awful for both of you.  I wonder if it won't be with the unclaimed luggage when you get off the ship? 

One thing I do is put moisturizer and foundation into a couple of contact lens containers and put them in my 3-1-1 bag in my carry-on.  That way I always have the bare minimum with me - I can use lipstick for blush and lips.  I also toss in a small eyeliner pencil for good measure.  You'd be surprised at how much those little containers can hold!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I'm so sorry your bag still hasn't shown up.  My last cruise it was very confusing at luggage drop off due to some delays with the ship and I felt very nervous with how the staff said to leave the bags.  They both arrived, but I didn't like the "just leave it with all the others" approach when before we would see them loaded onto a cart.

I'm glad you could get what you needed at Barbados and apologize for my misinformation.  I'm used to there being higher end makeup sold along with the perfumes in the "pricy" gift shops.  I thought I've seen lip balm/lip gloss at the basic stores, but all of those were just browsing and not actually looking to purchase.

I'm glad you convinced DD to shower 😄 No make-up is a pain, but breakouts from not washing - or worse, eye infection - is no fun either.  Hopefully you all can look back on it as a lesson that you are beautiful with or without make-up 🙂 

Thank you! I still have no idea where our bags are or what they did with them. I figured there would be somewhere to buy makeup too but I guess not 😵 No makeup sure is a pain, especially when you get used to doing it every day. Getting ready in the morning and just leaving with a bare face felt so weird! I think we  got at least a bit more used to it though. I got my daughters to finally leave our room yesterday without makeup and they looked beautiful. I miss seeing their little freckles!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

This is why I CARRY ON my makeup!  Gotta have it, so it STAYS with me!  Even "full-sized" things (in cosmetics) are usually less than 1 oz....easy enough to carry!  I also use hubby's zip-loc for flying!

I wish I carried our makeup. 

14 hours ago, ger_77 said:

How awful for both of you.  I wonder if it won't be with the unclaimed luggage when you get off the ship? 

One thing I do is put moisturizer and foundation into a couple of contact lens containers and put them in my 3-1-1 bag in my carry-on.  That way I always have the bare minimum with me - I can use lipstick for blush and lips.  I also toss in a small eyeliner pencil for good measure.  You'd be surprised at how much those little containers can hold!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Thank you. I hope we can get our bag back because it's going to be hard to get ready for work and school without the stuff in there. Right now we just have some sunscreen, mascara and lip balm on. I couldn't find any eyebrow pencil so my brows are almost nonexistent 😖 Our vacation photos are going to be interesting...

Could you use the mascara as double duty for eyebrows?  My hair is too light for that to work (I use brown/black mascara and just got a dark purple - which would be interesting  as a brow choice 😉 ), but I have seen people use mascara as eyeliner to minimize product.  

I actually just got my first eyebrow makeup yesterday (auburn, closer to natural color) and the wand looked similar to mascara.  I'm obviously not experienced so feel free to have a good chuckle if my suggestion is ridiculous 😄 

Maybe your girls will see themselves in a new light in the pictures and get more confidence that they don't need it 🙂 I do understand feeling better and more complete with your face put on though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Even "full-sized" things (in cosmetics) are usually less than 1 oz....easy enough to carry!

Like what?  My moisturizer and foundation have to be transferred into something smaller.

15 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I also use hubby's zip-loc for flying!

What is a "hubby's zip-loc"?

1 hour ago, clo said:

What is a "hubby's zip-loc"?

Some people apparently have spouses who do not fill their TSA 3-1-1 bags and use some of their space. My spouse is not one of those, so if I have too many liquids, I check a bag. He doesn't share ;-)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hoyaheel said:

Some people apparently have spouses who do not fill their TSA 3-1-1 bags and use some of their space. My spouse is not one of those, so if I have too many liquids, I check a bag. He doesn't share 😉

Thanks.  I sincerely didn't know.  I/we have multiple zipping bags in checked and carry on but just one quart sized for liquids.  

15 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Could you use the mascara as double duty for eyebrows?  My hair is too light for that to work (I use brown/black mascara and just got a dark purple - which would be interesting  as a brow choice 😉 ), but I have seen people use mascara as eyeliner to minimize product.  

I actually just got my first eyebrow makeup yesterday (auburn, closer to natural color) and the wand looked similar to mascara.  I'm obviously not experienced so feel free to have a good chuckle if my suggestion is ridiculous 😄 

Maybe your girls will see themselves in a new light in the pictures and get more confidence that they don't need it 🙂 I do understand feeling better and more complete with your face put on though.

My brows are a bit too light for mascara too. I'm a blonde but my daughters were blessed with full, dark eyebrows. I hope my girls can see themselves in a new light without makeup on. It would be nice to see them embrace their natural beauty more often, although I admittedly feel a bit undone myself with a completely clean face. 😣

• Like 1

I used the brow make up yesterday, and even using a very light hand with a close to natural color it still seemed weird seeing my sister's brows (darker hair) on my face 😄 I got used to it though because this morning when I saw myself clean faced it did seem like something was missing having "barely there" brows again.

Hoping you are all still enjoying the cruise despite the setback 🙂