Carnival Cruise Lost Our Makeup Bag?

MaddieD93

22 hours ago, MaddieD93 said:

It would be nice to see them embrace their natural beauty more often, although I admittedly feel a bit undone myself with a completely clean face.

It's not an either/or thing.  I'm 72 and like make up (that mostly doesn't look like I have make up on) but I don't define myself by my appearance.  Just had my hair colored pink 🙂

Cath

75418840_2493956987347445_3272679347709804544_n.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I used the brow make up yesterday, and even using a very light hand with a close to natural color it still seemed weird seeing my sister's brows (darker hair) on my face 😄 I got used to it though because this morning when I saw myself clean faced it did seem like something was missing having "barely there" brows again.

Hoping you are all still enjoying the cruise despite the setback 🙂 

I am! It's definitely getting easier to leave the house without eyebrows and my daughter's seem to be getting more comfortable with their acne. We're having a great time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

It's not an either/or thing.  I'm 72 and like make up (that mostly doesn't look like I have make up on) but I don't define myself by my appearance.  Just had my hair colored pink 🙂

Cath

Looks great! I admire your confidence.

23 minutes ago, MaddieD93 said:

I am! It's definitely getting easier to leave the house without eyebrows and my daughter's seem to be getting more comfortable with their acne. We're having a great time!

I'm lucky that I've had full bangs for decades.  No eyebrow worries nor forehead wrinkles 🙂

Sorry for the loss of cosmetics, I had my cosmetic bag in my purse which I very seldom do, it was stolen a long with designer sunglasses.  Not only are cosmetics expensive to replace, as well as glasses, but remembering brands and colors was a bear.

My first thought for your girls was to convince them how lovely they looked au natural. As I am sure they do. Not attached to makeup is freeing. 

As for myself a month away from age 75, I too feel naked without blush and eyebrows color.  Most gals my age feel comfortable. Thus I guess I’ll stay addicted.

A

On 11/7/2019 at 7:39 AM, ger_77 said:

How awful for both of you.  I wonder if it won't be with the unclaimed luggage when you get off the ship? 

One thing I do is put moisturizer and foundation into a couple of contact lens containers and put them in my 3-1-1 bag in my carry-on.  That way I always have the bare minimum with me - I can use lipstick for blush and lips.  I also toss in a small eyeliner pencil for good measure.  You'd be surprised at how much those little containers can hold!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Yes,. I always carry few basics with me in my carry on - moisturizer, lipstick, etc. I have learned the hard way!

3 hours ago, simplelife said:

Yes,. I always carry few basics with me in my carry on - moisturizer, lipstick, etc. I have learned the hard way!

Knock wood.  We've never lost anything.  Once, maybe twice, over about 30 years we had a piece delayed by a few hours (airline not cruise ship) and it got delivered to us.  And my husband used to travel up to about 85% of the time on business, a lot of it intl. And unlike OP I've never been anywhere where I could buy something acceptable.

7 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Sorry for the loss of cosmetics, I had my cosmetic bag in my purse which I very seldom do, it was stolen a long with designer sunglasses.  Not only are cosmetics expensive to replace, as well as glasses, but remembering brands and colors was a bear.

My first thought for your girls was to convince them how lovely they looked au natural. As I am sure they do. Not attached to makeup is freeing. 

As for myself a month away from age 75, I too feel naked without blush and eyebrows color.  Most gals my age feel comfortable. Thus I guess I’ll stay addicted.

A

Thank you. I really hope we're not going to have to replace all of our cosmetics because there's no way we would be able to get everything in time for work and school. My girls definitely look beautiful au natural but I don't think they would feel comfortable wearing only their natural beauty to school. We're just going to have to go light on the makeup for a while and go without hair product until we can recover all of the lost items. It's going to be hard 😣

Well, I hope the bag is recovered.  Makeup replacement can be a pain and, depending on what brands you are wedded to, expensive.  Hopefully, for at least the girls, they buy at the supermarket or Walmart or Target!!  For you - look at it as an opportunity to maybe to to Sephora or a similar place and get a makeover and try some new looks...

This is one of the reasons I'm happy I've always been a makeup minimalist.  It had been moisturizer and basic brown eyeliner for decades.  My illness last winter had a few side effects - one being the massive thinning of my eyebrows.  They had always been good to go, but now they are very light and sparse.  So, I've added a brow pencil to my daily "do".  If I had my makeup lost, it would be OK to me.  I can always substitute sunscreen for the moisturizer in a pinch.  I went this way for my roadtrip the past 10 days.  Just my moisturizer (which has SPF 50) and nothing else.  I didn't feel naked and no one shuddered in horror at my face 😉

Edited by slidergirl

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Well, I hope the bag is recovered.  Makeup replacement can be a pain and, depending on what brands you are wedded to, expensive.  Hopefully, for at least the girls, they buy at the supermarket or Walmart or Target!!  For you - look at it as an opportunity to maybe to to Sephora or a similar place and get a makeover and try some new looks...

This is one of the reasons I'm happy I've always been a makeup minimalist.  It had been moisturizer and basic brown eyeliner for decades.  My illness last winter had a few side effects - one being the massive thinning of my eyebrows.  They had always been good to go, but now they are very light and sparse.  So, I've added a brow pencil to my daily "do".  If I had my makeup lost, it would be OK to me.  I can always substitute sunscreen for the moisturizer in a pinch.  I went this way for my roadtrip the past 10 days.  Just my moisturizer (which has SPF 50) and nothing else.  I didn't feel naked and no one shuddered in horror at my face 😉

Yeah it's going to take a while for all of our makeup to be replaced. We're going to go to the store and get enough products to hold us over for a while. Maybe change up our looks a bit 😂  We don't usually wear a ton of makeup but it does make a difference. Thankfully nobody shuttered in horror but I did feel a bit naked whenever I walked past a mirror or had my picture taken and realized my face was just woke up bare. Oh well, what can you do. Hopefully your eyebrows fill back in. I know what it's like to have bald eyebrows while everyone else's are perfectly done 😷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

BANGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, curly hair and bangs don't like each other.  I remember trying to have them as a kid - used to have to put my face down on the ironing board and try to iron my bangs straight!!  Otherwise, they'd go all weird  on me.  I even considered trying Elmer's Glue on the ends to keep them straight on my forehead...  

The eyebrows are kind of stuck at "barely there."  We're not sure what's going to happen.  One of the things that went wrong over the past year was a severe Vitamin A deficiency - I only a quarter of what was the minimum.  I'm on megadoses of Vitamin A.  I was also severely stressed because of all the crap happening to me and scaring me.  Those two things are known contributors to hair and eyebrow loss.  At least my hair stylist is seeing more little hairs growing back on my head.  Until the brows get better, she's doing some color on what's there when she colors my hair - it helps for about a week...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Unfortunately, curly hair and bangs don't like each other.  I remember trying to have them as a kid - used to have to put my face down on the ironing board and try to iron my bangs straight!!  Otherwise, they'd go all weird  on me.  I even considered trying Elmer's Glue on the ends to keep them straight on my forehead...  

The eyebrows are kind of stuck at "barely there."  We're not sure what's going to happen.  One of the things that went wrong over the past year was a severe Vitamin A deficiency - I only a quarter of what was the minimum.  I'm on megadoses of Vitamin A.  I was also severely stressed because of all the crap happening to me and scaring me.  Those two things are known contributors to hair and eyebrow loss.  At least my hair stylist is seeing more little hairs growing back on my head.  Until the brows get better, she's doing some color on what's there when she colors my hair - it helps for about a week...

You go, girl!

You've seen my bangs?

Edited by clo

good lookin' bangs and I LOVE that color!   I have to wait to see what the grooming standards are at the next job I get (I need to get another job to get through the Winter and then morph into part time work and semi-retirement), I may go back to getting some streaks of "Candy Apple Red" in my hair...

• Like 1

Just now, slidergirl said:

good lookin' bangs and I LOVE that color!   I have to wait to see what the grooming standards are at the next job I get (I need to get another job to get through the Winter and then morph into part time work and semi-retirement), I may go back to getting some streaks of "Candy Apple Red" in my hair...

Thanks, GF.  Since I'm 72 and retired I finally don't have to consider "grooming standards" which  I did for decades.  I say that "I'm tickled (hot) pink."  Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  Best, Cath

• Like 1

Many moons ago (like 20 years) my DH forgot to pack my makeup for a weekend with his law firm. I made do with lip stick for blush and eye shadow. It's crazy what we do to adjust to what ever standards are given at the time. Now I show up for excursions with day-old make up on. I guess its what you get used to, right? I also thought there was make up available for purchase on the ships. I hope you had a great cruise regardless on the inconvenience.

55 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

my DH forgot to pack my makeup

I hope y'all have moved past packing for each other. 🙂 Also many moons ago we were doing a Canadian Rockies train trip.  I opened the suitcase and there lay a sweater that *I* hadn't packed.  He used the word "assumed." THAT never happened again 🙂

57 minutes ago, clo said:

I hope y'all have moved past packing for each other. 🙂 Also many moons ago we were doing a Canadian Rockies train trip.  I opened the suitcase and there lay a sweater that *I* hadn't packed.  He used the word "assumed." THAT never happened again 🙂

You bet I pack for myself now. It wasn't the end of the world but I do go over lists now so we don't forget really important stuff like passports😲

22 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

You bet I pack for myself now. It wasn't the end of the world but I do go over lists now so we don't forget really important stuff like passports😲

That's where our dining table/staging area comes in handy.  And everything like makeup, shampoo, toothbrushes, etc. get put in zipping bagS (plural).  And many years ago I bought Bob a leather document case. A little bigger, but not much, of a boarding pass.  Our passports live there so a lot harder to leave behind.

6 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Many moons ago (like 20 years) my DH forgot to pack my makeup for a weekend with his law firm. I made do with lip stick for blush and eye shadow. It's crazy what we do to adjust to what ever standards are given at the time. Now I show up for excursions with day-old make up on. I guess its what you get used to, right? I also thought there was make up available for purchase on the ships. I hope you had a great cruise regardless on the inconvenience.

I did! I'm back at home now so I can put my face on again (although I just took it off for the night lol.) I'm definitely more used to going bare faced than I was at the start of the trip, that's for sure.

• Like 3