Cruisemapper, anyone?

lincslady

I wonder if others look at Cruisemapper now and again to see what ship is where?  I mention this as I have just looked up Sapphire, which should have been in Southampton at 7 and is still making her way there- wondering why.

Cruisemapper is very easy to use,  but I don't know if this is the simplest and most accurate site to use.

I haven't looked at Cruisemapper but I do use AIS Marine traffic to watch 'my fleet'.

There were very high winds in the Bay of Biscay Sunday/Monday maybe the ship altered course to avoid them?

There could have been a medical emergency which delayed them leaving their last port of call.

Edited by Glenndale

I find Cruisemapper easier to use than AIS, and I think it is probably as efficient.

Sapphire left Funchal on time, but I think the weather has been rough on the way back.  She is still working her way up past the Isle of Wight, at nearly 11.

I don't know if it is of interest to anyone, but Sapphire, which should be sailing towards Rome today, is docked in Palma - could be weather conditions or possibly an engine problem or similar.  She was very late leaving Southampton on 6th, but made Gibraltar, her first port.

Might be of interest  to anyone on her next trip,  to the Canaries.

Well, she is still in Palma at 7.45 p.m.  A nice port to be stuck in, but who knows why?  Let's hope that Princess Michael of Kent has lots of stories lined up for extra talks on board!   The ship certainly would not be able to make  Rome tomorrow.

Not surprising that there are no Captain's blogs recently.

Yes, read it a while ago - looks as though it was the weather.  We would not have been very happy not boarding until 5; or indeed not disembarking before probably 2.  And she is going to have to miss a port on the way back, presumably. A bit of a nightmare for staff reorganising, but they have to do it now and again, usually as well as one could expect.

This young Captain seems more happy to say it like it is than some others, who simply do not do a blog when things go a bit wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at Cruisemapper after a while off, and Discovery which should be in Ferrol seems to be sailing by, presumably straight for So'ton.

I do hope someone on board or who has been on board recently sends a report in the not too distant.  

On 12/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, lincslady said:

I do hope someone on board or who has been on board recently sends a report in the not too distant.  

Apparently bad weather prevented them docking in La Coruna and then they had to turn back for a helicopter evacuation at night.

So quite an eventful end to their cruise, not good for whoever had to be heli-lifted off.

Information from s-i-l who was on board.