Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
G.M.T.

Celebrity Xpedition runs aground in Galapagos

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

What I find most unsettling (but this is par for the course as they did the same thing with the license issue) is that Celebrity / RCCL is simply not honest.  From the article:  "Royal Caribbean said. ‘As we assess the condition of Xpedition and implement contingency plans, we will keep our guests informed regarding any cancellations or revised itineraries.’

 

We have not heard a word.  T/A can't help, they just say "It's still on."  Galapagos desk hasn't been able to tell us anything.  If we are NOT going to the Galapagos we need to know sooner rather than later!  Our time off is locked in and we need time for a "Plan B."  (not to mention canceling arrangements made outside of the Celebrity package!)

 

We are supposed to leave in eleven days (and of course, there is one cruise yet before ours that has not yet been canceled).  UGH!

 

 

 

You are correct, it's the same total lack of communication that we saw during the licensing.  It must be so frustrating for cruisers close to their sail date as well as the TAs who are not given anything more than the clients are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sippican said:

 

You are correct, it's the same total lack of communication that we saw during the licensing.  It must be so frustrating for cruisers close to their sail date as well as the TAs who are not given anything more than the clients are.

Thanks!

 

Our traveling companions were relentless and got through to someone at Celebrity.  They were informed that next three sailings are canceled.  (11-16, 11-23, and 11-30).  We are rebooked in 2021 and are currently working on "Plan B" for this year, not in the Galapagos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

Thanks!

 

Our traveling companions were relentless and got through to someone at Celebrity.  They were informed that next three sailings are canceled.  (11-16, 11-23, and 11-30).  We are rebooked in 2021 and are currently working on "Plan B" for this year, not in the Galapagos!

 

So sorry to hear this, but glad you got some answers!  

We are rebooked for October of 2021. Hopefully the time will fly by. 

Enjoy your "Plan B" whatever that may be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK , it’s official.. I just got the call our cruise on 11/30 is cancelled..  Flora is full.. so no options for us.    Was out when I got the call...  so  I’ll call back to find out what the compensation is.😢😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were booked on the 30th as well. They offered us a a spot on the Xplorer but we weren't interested.

 

They're offering a full refund on the cruise and a credit for a future cruise or cruises for an equal amount.

 

We are not getting all of our airfare back but with the future credit, we really don't care.

 

Very generous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were offered our money back and a very generous credit for a future cruise or cruises.  Then we immediately booked and Celebrity said the future cruise credit could only be used once.  We are on a ship right now.  Celebrity took the cruise price out of our refund, not the fcc,  and will not give us the perks that were advertised for a cash price.   The Galapagos desk has not returned my call and the folks on board have no power to solve this problem 

 

That is separate from being treated poorly on the replacement cruise because no one knew we were coming and other names were attached to our cabin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Called Celebrity back... Flora is full til late 2020 and they said Expedition will be more expensive now since they only have 48 passengers.. so they offered us Flora in 2021 for $22,000 when we only paid $11,000 for Expedition including air for 2.. it was awesome deal.. can’t do 2020 since daughter is getting married... so we took full refund and  Equal amount FCC. that we paid for the cruise.... so will look for Galapagos another time.. maybe a sale with perks .. soooo disappointing but I understand out of there control ...

 

so... just booked a flight to our daughters for Thanksgiving 💕💝

 

Good luck to all... this has been a roller coaster with all the Celebrity issues on this cruise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was certainly no mention from the person we spoke to that the FCC was a one time use deal.

 

If so, not only is that wrong but I guess it will be a suite on one of the most expensive cruises out there.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

What I find most unsettling (but this is par for the course as they did the same thing with the license issue) is that Celebrity / RCCL is simply not honest.  From the article:  "Royal Caribbean said. ‘As we assess the condition of Xpedition and implement contingency plans, we will keep our guests informed regarding any cancellations or revised itineraries.’

 

We have not heard a word.  T/A can't help, they just say "It's still on."  Galapagos desk hasn't been able to tell us anything.  If we are NOT going to the Galapagos we need to know sooner rather than later!  Our time off is locked in and we need time for a "Plan B."  (not to mention canceling arrangements made outside of the Celebrity package!)

 

We are supposed to leave in eleven days (and of course, there is one cruise yet before ours that has not yet been canceled).  UGH!

 

 

 

Unfortunately they're just working from the modern corporate playbook. 

 

Always say you are listening/will keep updated, then just proceed with whatever you feel like doing that suits making the most money and not mention anything negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Called Celebrity back... Flora is full til late 2020 and they said Expedition will be more expensive now since they only have 48 passengers.. so they offered us Flora in 2021 for $22,000 when we only paid $11,000 for Expedition including air for 2.. it was awesome deal.. can’t do 2020 since daughter is getting married... so we took full refund and  Equal amount FCC. that we paid for the cruise.... so will look for Galapagos another time.. maybe a sale with perks .. soooo disappointing but I understand out of there control ...

 

so... just booked a flight to our daughters for Thanksgiving 💕💝

 

Good luck to all... this has been a roller coaster with all the Celebrity issues on this cruise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vectorboy said:

There was certainly no mention from the person we spoke to that the FCC was a one time use deal.

 

If so, not only is that wrong but I guess it will be a suite on one of the most expensive cruises out there.....

We were not told one time use either... just that we had to book within one year .. not travel, but book.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hillslife said:

We were not told one time use either... just that we had to book within one year .. not travel, but book.... 

 

I believe it is normally single cruise use, and that's also normally not an issue. 

 

Given the pricing and generally regarded exceptions for Galapagos cruises, you'd hope they'd be able to structure it differently. Not sure Celebrity will see it that way though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got a confirmation from X that the voucher is indeed for "one time use".

 

The voucher would only work on one of two cruises even on a back to back.

 

Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Future Cruise Credit:

I am very confused. If you received a 100% refund for the cost of the Xpedition cruise, were you expecting to have the same amount applied to an FCC until it was used up?  Historically,  FCCs have always been for one time use. It is an offer of good will in recognition of your inconveniences. The refund was for the cruise you didn't take, the FCC a bonus.

 

If you choose to use the FCC on Xpedition, I do think they should honor that,  no matter what future prices look like. It's their own error that the passenger count is so low!  

Edited by sippican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sippican said:

Regarding Future Cruise Credit:

I am very confused. If you received a 100% refund for the cost of the Xpedition cruise, were you expecting to have the same amount applied to an FCC until it was used up?  Historically,  FCCs have always been for one time use. It is an offer of good will in recognition of your inconveniences. The refund was for the cruise you didn't take, the FCC a bonus.

 

If you choose to use the FCC on Xpedition, I do think they should honor that,  no matter what future prices look like. It's their own error that the passenger count is so low!  

They told me they could book me on Flora in June 2021 but it would take all the money that I already paid almost $12,000 plus the $12,000 future cruise credit. And I would get $600 refund. So going from a $12,000 cruise to a $22,000 cruise didn’t seem like a deal to me. Even though half of it was free. I thought I might find better pricing and better perks later on my ownThey told me they could book me on Flora in June 2021 but it would take all the money that I already paid almost $12,000 plus the $12,000 future cruise credit. And I would get $600 refund. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that ship and the poor booked pax this year have really had a rotten time!  (Excepting the lucky ones between the issues) I can’t believe the FCC is only valid for single use. When you are booked on one of the most expensive Cruises offered, that’s not fair to expect it to be used on something that will likely cost a lot less unless you book a full suite like one person mentioned. I’d be furious if I shelled out $11,000 for a once in a lifetime Galapagos cruise experience and ended up having to use the $11,000 for a Caribbean cruise, for instance, that I could do anytime for way less! Some will be able to use it for a special longer cruise somewhere exotic but not everyone. I hope all those affected can find something worthwhile for them! Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Wow, that ship and the poor booked pax this year have really had a rotten time!  (Excepting the lucky ones between the issues) I can’t believe the FCC is only valid for single use. When you are booked on one of the most expensive Cruises offered, that’s not fair to expect it to be used on something that will likely cost a lot less unless you book a full suite like one person mentioned. I’d be furious if I shelled out $11,000 for a once in a lifetime Galapagos cruise experience and ended up having to use the $11,000 for a Caribbean cruise, for instance, that I could do anytime for way less! Some will be able to use it for a special longer cruise somewhere exotic but not everyone. I hope all those affected can find something worthwhile for them! Good luck!

 

On the other hand, it’s free money. Remember that the original fare was fully refunded, so the affected passengers are getting an EXTRA $11,000 (or more in the case of suites).  However, two people here have said that the FCC was for future “cruise or cruises,” so clearly somebody at Celebrity was contemplating multiple uses. I would pursue that up to the president’s office - she is unlikely to read the email, but presumably her staff would. If I were conversant in Twitter, I would take it there, too. 

 

And the other issue is taking SoCalTraveler’s replacement cruise out of the refund. That is ridiculous. Now they are “stuck” with having to book cruises that they may not have intended to take in order not to lose the FCC.

 

And remember that, if all of this was discussed over the phone, Celebrity keep a record of all phone calls. So remember the date and time of the initial offer discussion and ask for somebody to review the transcript.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the FCC voucher can be used for a previously booked X cruise, or only new bookings?

 

Back this summer, with all the licensing issues, X had a deal for 2nd guest 50% off w/$1000 airfare (now it's $750 airfare) using Celebrity Air.    So I put a deposit down on the Aug 27 Quito package, since there was no way of knowing how long the licensing issue would be resolved.   This was when Xp was still due to hold 64 pax, so the price was really great!   This Aug sailing is my backup to my Dec 7, 2019 sailing.  

 

So now, I'm not feeling really good about the prospects of Xp being ready for the Dec 7 sailing.  We are next in line to be canceled!!  So would I be able to use the FCC for this Aug 2020 sailing that I held since this past summer??

 

FYI,  I just noticed that this Aug 27, 2020 Quito/Southern Loop date still has a suite available for a unbelievable $6400 pp, which takes into account the 50% 2nd guest, and $500 independent airfare.   Original suite price was $8450.   This availability also tells me that this sailing is not over the 48 pax limit.    Initially, when Xp went down to 48, this sailing date was pulled, presumably because it was over the 48 limit.   I'm sure there are upcoming sailings in 2020 that are booked to 64. 

 

So those who were canceled, or those holding an upcoming December sailing, may want to look at this suite, and place a hold on it!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Does anyone know if the FCC voucher can be used for a previously booked X cruise, or only new bookings?

 

 

New bookings only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Silver Galapagos is being taken out of service next June and to be replaced by the Silver Origin (similar to the Flora).  I wonder if Royal Caribbean plans on moving the Silver Galapagos to Celebrity to take over the lower cost Xpedition itineraries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hillslife said:

They told me they could book me on Flora in June 2021 but it would take all the money that I already paid almost $12,000 plus the $12,000 future cruise credit. And I would get $600 refund. So going from a $12,000 cruise to a $22,000 cruise didn’t seem like a deal to me. Even though half of it was free. I thought I might find better pricing and better perks later on my ownThey told me they could book me on Flora in June 2021 but it would take all the money that I already paid almost $12,000 plus the $12,000 future cruise credit. And I would get $600 refund. 
 

 

 

Hmmmm ...

This sounds like a very good option to me. You'd  still get to cruise the Galapagos, but on Flora (which costs about double of Xpedition). AND you come out $600 ahead.  Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The Silver Galapagos is being taken out of service next June and to be replaced by the Silver Origin (similar to the Flora).  I wonder if Royal Caribbean plans on moving the Silver Galapagos to Celebrity to take over the lower cost Xpedition itineraries.  

 

It is questionable if the government would allow the transfer of the 100 Silversea licenses to Royal, but a good point.

Then X would still be left with the 48 Xpedition licenses and the 16 Xploration (which I presume they could sell).

But, that would leave Silversea without a presence in the Galapagos, where they have been very popular with cruisers looking for a more upscale experience.

 

Personally, works for me since we are booked for 2021 on Xpedition and I'd be happy with a new ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sippican said:

 

Hmmmm ...

This sounds like a very good option to me. You'd  still get to cruise the Galapagos, but on Flora (which costs about double of Xpedition). AND you come out $600 ahead.  Am I missing something?

I was hurried on the phone ( house full of people for wedding dress shopping), 16 for early Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, so couldn’t think and make a snap decision.. but after more consideration it could have. Been an option. Even a good option.. but trying to get a date around our daughters wedding and activities, as well as other booked trips, couldn’t make it work.  Plus it didn’t include airfare, which the original cruise did, so just said send me the credit and I would try to figure it out later... 

 

so hopefully over the next year I can watch prices and sale perks and make thing work .. very generous offer for sure.. but limited availability as our real life vs travel life goes on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, The_Big_M said:

 

New bookings only.

I’ve been able to apply FCCs to existing bookings. It never hurts to try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by X that with this FCC, it could only be used if booking directly with Celebrity and not through a TA.

 

Does that sound right?

 

Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...