Celebrity Xpedition runs aground in Galapagos

G.M.T.

6 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

Are you calling them or just giving them more time to sort things out?

I called on November 7, spoke to a rep, and was on the phone with the rep and on hold for 58 minutes.  The resolution was that I would be called back.  The call back has not happened.

We have sent e-mails.  I spoke to the Guest Relations manager on the replacement cruise we took, who contacted the Galapagos Desk while we were on the replacement cruise.  The response was that they were working on it.  My wife has sent two recent e-mails reporting exactly what was credited to our credit card, and what we thought the balance due was.

Our TA has called.  She has been told the Galapagos Desk is working on it.

We have an e-mail from Celebrity reporting that we will receive a full refund and an FCC.  In a separate e-mail the amount of the FCC is set forth.  In the meantime, we booked and took another cruise in which we used part of the FCC, and we have an e-mail from Celebrity agreeing that we could do so.  We just don't have the actual certificates.

As to the full refund, as I reported, we have received about 8 credits to our credit card totaling about $2800 less than what we paid.  I would think "full refund" means everything we paid.  Some of our refund was to be used to pay taxes and tips on the replacement cruise (which we have taken), but those total only about $400, and we have not seen a final bill on that.

I presume the Galapagos desk is busy with cancellations and refunds for a number of people.  As I said, I'm just reporting, not complaining.

Maybe I was naive, when the supervisor "Gabby" (?your Gabriela) said we would be refunded "all that you paid", that that would be what we would receive.   Looking back, I should have had her repeat back the total charge on my final invoice, and confirmed that all would be returned, assuming phone conversations are recorded.

As I look at the final invoice, perhaps it is possible that the cruise fare, could be divided up into the cruise component and the land/Quito component - so you could get two strange numbers, but it should add up to the total cruise fare package (assuming you took the Quito 10 or 11-day pkg).   And maybe, there's even the internal air to/from Baltra.

You should get port expenses and taxes back, as we didn't cruise anywhere.

Last but not least, if you paid for refundable international air through Celebrity Air, that should all come back.  I would absolutely expect X to cover the $200 cancellation fee that was associated with those air tickets, since they canceled on us!

I would not expect, though, if one paid for X's Vacation Protection Plan, ie, their travel insurance, that would be reimbursed, because that's, well, insurance!  The outside travel insurance that I paid for (at half X's price) is lost for us.

I'm still waiting for both the credit card refund and a FCC... we were on the Dec 7 sailing...

We have asked, both in phone calls and e-mails, for agreement on what we paid, which for us is documented by an invoice.  We booked air through Celebrity, as Celebrity was offering a good deal on air fare. We have yet to get Celebrity to agree on the amount.

Separately, we understand that Celebrity will cover change or cancellation fees on independent arrangements up to $400 p/p.

For our cancelled Silhouette which was canceled in May the FCCs were still being processed in July.  There were some cases, mine included where the FCC was calculated minus the NCCF (non commissionable cruise fare).  When I challenged that the fare they based my FCC on was nowhere on my Celebrity invoice they adjusted it to be based on the line item "Cruise Fare" which is what was stated.

3 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

I'll be on the Edge this Sunday and will bring all my docs and speak to someone on the ship. See where I get.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I followed that route with Guest Relations on our recent cruise.  All that they can do is send e-mails.  They cannot access the database nor see the communications the Galapagos desk has had with us.  But, please try and report back.  I wish you success.

As it stands right now, I've actually been made more than "whole" as I was generously compensated for my private air arrangements but they're still CAD$324 short on the cruise refund. Coincidentally, $324 is the amount of the taxes and port fees.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:07 PM, George C said:

Problem is getting there , went to a show that travel agent had and celebrity rep was there . They said it was about 10k , that is airfare and hotel total package was ten days with a 7 day cruise, had to fly to Quito then take another plane to ship . 

Been there done this.  An awesome experiece and well worth the $$$$.

Looks like the Xp is headed to Curacao.

Cruise tracker has "CW CUR" as destination.   There is a shipyard - Damen, in Curacao.

Took 3 1/2 weeks to be towed.  Wondering how long repairs will take?

Clock is ticking for January sailings!   Fingers crossed for those with upcoming cruises in the New Year!!

7 hours ago, savethepandas said:

Looks like the Xp is headed to Curacao.

Cruise tracker has "CW CUR" as destination.   There is a shipyard - Damen, in Curacao.

Took 3 1/2 weeks to be towed.  Wondering how long repairs will take?

Clock is ticking for January sailings!   Fingers crossed for those with upcoming cruises in the New Year!!

Wow, I just checked cruise tracker, and too saw that Xp is in Curacao!  Hoping for the best. 

We are booked in April, not sure what to expect.  :classic_sad:

Xp appears now in dry dock in Curacao.

Celebrity is still posting sailings for as early as January 23, 2020.

One would think that if repairs took much longer than a number of weeks, then those January sailings would have been pulled, keeping in mind that Xp still needs to travel back (though much faster), standby at the Panama Canal, pick up supplies/crew, final inspections, etc.

But we know Celebrity's play book...

Again, fingers crossed for the best! 🤞

• Like 1

We altered our plans and spent two nights at the Marriott in Ecuador and then moved on to spend two weeks  in Costa Rica instead of the five nights we had already booked for after the cruise. Costa Rica was fantastic.

We were lucky in a way as the cruise and everything we planned and booked was a bespoke package through Trailfinders in the UK. This meant that as soon as the cruise was cancelled a full refund for everything we had paid for was instantly available.

We decided to use what we had already paid to cover the extended stay in Costa Rica and as this was cheaper than what we had already paid for our original itinerary we received a substantial refund for the difference. Again, this was all handled super efficiently by Trailfinders.

This refund is paying for trip to Hawaii in February 😀.

This week we received the cruise credit certificate by email from Celebrity.

I think this is great customer service from Celebrity and is very much appreciated.

The cruise credit (not sure if this applies to all credits issued) is very specific in that it is purely redeemable against the price of the sailing itself. It does not cover the pre & post Marriott stays or the transfers & Baltra return flights.

Our cruise credit was around £11k - this is not enough to rebook the original package on the Xpedition without having to add another few thousand into the equation.

We have now booked The Xploration northern loop sailing for October 2020 - our cruise credit covers this sailing comfortably. The Marriott, Baltra flights etc.we had to pay extra for along with our own flight arrangements to get to Quito. Saying that, we are more than happy to do this as it will get us to cruise The Galapagos at a massively reduced cost.

Overall, after the initial disappointment of he cancelled cruise things have worked out well for us.

• Like 5

On 12/14/2019 at 4:59 AM, IAN TREVES said:

We altered our plans and spent two nights at the Marriott in Ecuador and then moved on to spend two weeks  in Costa Rica instead of the five nights we had already booked for after the cruise. Costa Rica was fantastic.

We were lucky in a way as the cruise and everything we planned and booked was a bespoke package through Trailfinders in the UK. This meant that as soon as the cruise was cancelled a full refund for everything we had paid for was instantly available.

We decided to use what we had already paid to cover the extended stay in Costa Rica and as this was cheaper than what we had already paid for our original itinerary we received a substantial refund for the difference. Again, this was all handled super efficiently by Trailfinders.

This refund is paying for trip to Hawaii in February 😀.

This week we received the cruise credit certificate by email from Celebrity.

I think this is great customer service from Celebrity and is very much appreciated.

The cruise credit (not sure if this applies to all credits issued) is very specific in that it is purely redeemable against the price of the sailing itself. It does not cover the pre & post Marriott stays or the transfers & Baltra return flights.

Our cruise credit was around £11k - this is not enough to rebook the original package on the Xpedition without having to add another few thousand into the equation.

We have now booked The Xploration northern loop sailing for October 2020 - our cruise credit covers this sailing comfortably. The Marriott, Baltra flights etc.we had to pay extra for along with our own flight arrangements to get to Quito. Saying that, we are more than happy to do this as it will get us to cruise The Galapagos at a massively reduced cost.

Overall, after the initial disappointment of he cancelled cruise things have worked out well for us.

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Would the full refund you applied to your Hawaii trip have covered the cruisetour you had booked, or had the prices gone up? In any event, a gift of £11k is a princely gift, indeed. Happy sailing!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, critterchick said:

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Would the full refund you applied to your Hawaii trip have covered the cruisetour you had booked, or had the prices gone up? In any event, a gift of £11k is a princely gift, indeed. Happy sailing!

We had an update from our TA this week and it’s better than we initially thought, all we have to contribute is £200 for the whole thing. The only other expense we have is the  flights to Quito - these were separate and were never booked through Celebrity so this is expected. 

The reviews I have read for the Xploration cruise all say it’s a fantastic experience and we are so pleased we can get to the Galapagos next year using this most generous credit instead of having to save up for a few years to do it. 

In answer to your question - the full refund was used for an extended stay in Costa Rica, if it wasn’t used for that I don’t think it would have covered rebooking the same again on the Xpedition as it looks like the prices have increased.

We're supposed to be sailing on 1/18/2020 and still have no idea if we're going to sail or not.  I called Celebrity today and they said the cruise on 1/4/2020 has been canceled but they expect the 1/11/2020 sailing to go.  I don't know how much stock to put into that though.

What upsets me the most is that I haven't been able to get excited about this trip because I have no idea if it will happen or not.  Normally by this point I'd be super excited to buy supplies and making a packing list...  Sigh.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:06 AM, DaveB42 said:

MedallionNet is much better at the moment, here’s yesterday’s pic of Xpedition.

5900E4DF-EDA1-4DB9-9874-D27E97643206.jpeg

That tells a story, doesn't it?  I'm looking forward to my September Galapagos/MP trip; fingers crossed that it happens!

15 hours ago, Hawkmooon said:

We're supposed to be sailing on 1/18/2020 and still have no idea if we're going to sail or not.  I called Celebrity today and they said the cruise on 1/4/2020 has been canceled but they expect the 1/11/2020 sailing to go.  I don't know how much stock to put into that though.

What upsets me the most is that I haven't been able to get excited about this trip because I have no idea if it will happen or not.  Normally by this point I'd be super excited to buy supplies and making a packing list...  Sigh.

I think I would feel the same way.  This should be the time when you are getting excited about going, instead of wondering IF you are going.  Good luck, I hope everything works out for your January sailing.

• 2 weeks later...