Credits offered unacceptable

cobre5

3 hours ago, cobre5 said:

No we had to pay for 2 extra nights in Tokyo which cost almost a £1000 

Depending upon your insurance policy some or all of this could be covered under the trip delay benefit. Many US policies limit trip delay to $500. Since you are listing the expense as  pounds not sure how your UK  policy might cover it.

This was the information sent to passengers prior to the cruise. IMHO it´s fair given the circumstances which were beyond Celebrity´s influence.

"Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Millennium® for your 12-Night Japan, Korea, and China Cruise departing from Yokohama, Japan. Before you board, we have some important information to share with you.

As you may be aware, typhoon Hagibis is forecasted to affect southern Japan this weekend. Because the safety of our guests and staff is our number one priority, we are delaying embarkation for your sailing by two days until Monday, October 14th.

For your convenience, here’s the new itinerary for the 12-Night Japan, Korea, and China Cruise.

Date Port Arrive Depart
Monday, October 14 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 11:00pm
Tuesday, October 15 Shimizu, Japan 8:00am 4:00pm
Wednesday, October 16 Kochi, Japan 10:00am 5:30pm
Thursday, October 17 Hiroshima, Japan 9:00am 8:00pm
Friday, October 18 Beppu, Japan 8:00am 6:00pm
Saturday, October 19 Kagoshima, Japan Noon
Sunday, October 20 Kagoshima, Japan 5:00pm
Monday, October 21 Fukuoka, Japan 10:30am 8:30pm
Tuesday, October 22 Busan, South Korea 7:00am 6:00pm
Wednesday, October 23 Cheju City, South Korea 7:00am 4:00pm
Thursday, October 24 Seoul, South Korea 9:00am 7:00pm
Friday, October 25 At Sea
Saturday, October 26 Shanghai, China 6:00am

If you made your travel arrangements through Celebrity, your flights and hotel stay will be adjusted automatically for you. If you’ve arranged your travel needs independently, you’ll need to contact your travel providers to make the necessary changes to your travel plans. Please be aware that there are two international sports events taking place in Tokyo at this time—the Rugby World Cup and the Grand Prix.

We’ve arranged a late departure, 11:00 p.m., from Yokohama on Monday, October 14th, which will allow time for guests with late flights to join the ship. We will then set sail for Shimizu, Japan, for an 8:00 a.m. arrival. Shimizu is approximately one hour by train from Yokohama. Guests who were not able to join the ship in Yokohama will be able to join the ship in Shimizu.

Due to the weather circumstances that have shortened your sailing, we’ll provide a fully refundable onboard credit in the value of two day’s cruise fare. We’re also happy to provide you a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of 50% of the revised sailing to use toward a future Celebrity Cruises vacation.

If you choose not to sail on this revised itinerary, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of 100% of the original cruise fare. You can use this credit toward any future Celebrity Cruises vacation.

All Future Cruise Credits will be emailed to the email address we have listed on your account.

We continue to monitor the weather conditions relating to the typhoon, and should we need to make any further changes to this itinerary, we’ll let you know as soon as we can.

We’re truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. The safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Millennium, where we’ll do everything possible to provide you an unforgettable vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last year on Millennium we were also hit by a Typhoon.   On turn around day they evacuated the B2B's from the ship and put us up in a nice hotel.    On the second cruise we missed Hiroshima for a 3rd time and all ports were shifted by one day. 

I thought they were very fair with compensation.   For the B2B they gave us a refundable OBC in the amount of one day at the rate we paid for our room.   For the second cruise they gave us a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of 1 days for the price we paid for our room.  Of course compensation varied by the price of your cabin.

I didn't hear any complaints.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

This was the information sent to passengers prior to the cruise. IMHO it´s fair given the circumstances which were beyond Celebrity´s influence.

"Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Millennium® for your 12-Night Japan, Korea, and China Cruise departing from Yokohama, Japan. Before you board, we have some important information to share with you.

As you may be aware, typhoon Hagibis is forecasted to affect southern Japan this weekend. Because the safety of our guests and staff is our number one priority, we are delaying embarkation for your sailing by two days until Monday, October 14th.

For your convenience, here’s the new itinerary for the 12-Night Japan, Korea, and China Cruise.

Date Port Arrive Depart
Monday, October 14 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 11:00pm
Tuesday, October 15 Shimizu, Japan 8:00am 4:00pm
Wednesday, October 16 Kochi, Japan 10:00am 5:30pm
Thursday, October 17 Hiroshima, Japan 9:00am 8:00pm
Friday, October 18 Beppu, Japan 8:00am 6:00pm
Saturday, October 19 Kagoshima, Japan Noon
Sunday, October 20 Kagoshima, Japan 5:00pm
Monday, October 21 Fukuoka, Japan 10:30am 8:30pm
Tuesday, October 22 Busan, South Korea 7:00am 6:00pm
Wednesday, October 23 Cheju City, South Korea 7:00am 4:00pm
Thursday, October 24 Seoul, South Korea 9:00am 7:00pm
Friday, October 25 At Sea
Saturday, October 26 Shanghai, China 6:00am

If you made your travel arrangements through Celebrity, your flights and hotel stay will be adjusted automatically for you. If you’ve arranged your travel needs independently, you’ll need to contact your travel providers to make the necessary changes to your travel plans. Please be aware that there are two international sports events taking place in Tokyo at this time—the Rugby World Cup and the Grand Prix.

We’ve arranged a late departure, 11:00 p.m., from Yokohama on Monday, October 14th, which will allow time for guests with late flights to join the ship. We will then set sail for Shimizu, Japan, for an 8:00 a.m. arrival. Shimizu is approximately one hour by train from Yokohama. Guests who were not able to join the ship in Yokohama will be able to join the ship in Shimizu.

Due to the weather circumstances that have shortened your sailing, we’ll provide a fully refundable onboard credit in the value of two day’s cruise fare. We’re also happy to provide you a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of 50% of the revised sailing to use toward a future Celebrity Cruises vacation.

If you choose not to sail on this revised itinerary, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit in the amount of 100% of the original cruise fare. You can use this credit toward any future Celebrity Cruises vacation.

All Future Cruise Credits will be emailed to the email address we have listed on your account.

We continue to monitor the weather conditions relating to the typhoon, and should we need to make any further changes to this itinerary, we’ll let you know as soon as we can.

We’re truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. The safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Millennium, where we’ll do everything possible to provide you an unforgettable vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

The rest of the story is now revealed.... that which was omitted now fully explained...

There were options provided in lieu of... and still 12 nights, right? Just modified.

Thank you very much for this...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

"Dear Guest,

As you may be aware, typhoon Hagibis is forecasted to affect southern Japan this weekend. Because the safety of our guests and staff is our number one priority, we are delaying embarkation for your sailing by two days until Monday, October 14th

If you made your travel arrangements through Celebrity, your flights and hotel stay will be adjusted automatically for you. 

After seeing this, it seems more than fair to me, I don’t get the OP’s issue, maybe I’m missing something. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Did you book directly with Celebrity or with a TA.  If booked directly with Celebrity you should have a copy of their guest invoice which should have a line item called Cruise Fare.  Then there may be discounts for promo's or non-refundable deposits then a line for taxes fees port expenses. 

When booking with a TA there is another item called NCCF or Non Commisionable Cruise Fare on which the TA doesn't get paid commission.  Some TA sites list this separately as "Port Fee" and it's generally in the range of $250 - $350 pp.

In my experience with a FCC for a canceled cruise they said the FCC would be based on "Cruise Fare" and like you what I received was based on a lower number.  I was able to figure out it was based on Cruise Fare - NCCF which they were calling base cruise fare.  I argued with them that the amount they were quoting me appeared nowhere on my invoice and that there was nothing on my invoice called "Base Cruise Fare".  I just politely kept asking where I could see this on my invoice??

After a bit of round and round they put me on hold and came back and said they had adjust the FCC to what I expected based on "Cruise Fare" line item on my invoice.  Others on my roll call reported no issues at all but a couple of others had the same issue as I did.

Hope this helps.   I don't think you can expect a refund unless you can claim it from your travel insurance.

I booked with a TA but in my mind its the principle of the matter and Celebrity never specified anything except 2 days cruisw

credit 

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

After seeing this, it seems more than fair to me, I don’t get the OP’s issue, maybe I’m missing something. 

They stated 2 days cruise credit did not specify it was based on a secret basic cruise fare 

Maybe the OP's TA neglected to provide the 'full' information to them in order to make a sound decision as to carry on or cancel?

It would be odd, unless they left for the sailing and could not be found to communicate this valuable information and make decisions accordingly???

Generally, it is not like X to try and not accommodate as much as feasible in these types of situations when they do not have to..

bon voyage

13 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

When someone throws out “worst cruise ever”.... my doubting side come out.  

this is a fact it was our worst cruise ever in the smallest cabins and bathrooms experienced on a cruise ship and we were in Aqua Class

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I agree and in your shoes I would want/expect the full 2 days cruise fare pro-rated as a refund. I know people here like to point to the cruise contract, but you were sold a cruise for 14 days and received a cruise for 12 days. Not what you purchased. Hopefully if you stay on them you will get a better resolution.

I dont intend to drop this

I see nothing in the letter from Celebrity about 60% of what you paid.  The letter specifically states "fully refundable onboard credit in the value of two day's cruise fare."  In case you are not aware of what refundable onboard credit is, it will be credited back to the credit card you used to book the trip if you do not use it on board.

I believe this offer to be eminently fair.  Celebrity cannot control the weather.

I had an experience like this with Celebrity in September.  Not weather related.  We were scheduled to stop in Nassau.  It was after a devastating hurricane had just hit Freeport (also in the Bahamas).  Celebrity made the decision to cancel Nassau and sail to Freeport instead to deliver food and water to the desperate folks there.  99.9% of the passengers agreed with this decision and joined with crew volunteers to make sandwiches and pack and deliver the relief supplies to the boats that were able to make it out to the ship.  We were all given one night's cruise fare (based on what we had paid for our cabins) as refundable OBC.  Mine was promptly credited to my credit card when we disembarked the next day.  I found this offer to be more than fair.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Also, it does specifically state 'cruise fare' will be credited, which is fairly specific, even if not always identified in documentation received. Just as long as X can help identify what that fare is, then we can still say it is not fair.... or shall we?

I can agree X's offer is fair IMO, considering it is an Act of God situation involved...

Maybe the quibble is with timing of the information??

bon voyage

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

They stated 2 days cruise credit did not specify it was based on a secret basic cruise fare 

You were refunded two days and also received a future cruise credit of 50%..winner winner, chicken dinner. 

I can't comment on M Class Cabins having only sailed on S Class Celebrity Ships...

I do know there are videos all over the internet showing what each cabin is like, so you know what to expect. 

I hope you get some peace of mind from this, as the offered compensation seems fair.  IF you disembarked the ship without taking it up with Celebrity, I would say your chances of getting it  changed are slim.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You were refunded two days and also received a future cruise credit of 50%..winner winner, chicken dinner

p - the OP is from the UK and I do not think this part will translate over well...

bon voayge

28 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

The cruise fare is not secret. If you book direct it is clearly defined.  If you book through a travel agent the clarity depends upon the travel agent.  It is basically the money the Celebrity receives for the cruise, that does not include taxes, port fees or insurance.  It also does not include money retained by your travel agent as their commission.

Any reduction for the taxes and port fees usually shows up in you online account as a credit when a port is missed.

30 minutes ago, cobre5 said:

I dont intend to drop this

It is your time and effort, I put it in the category of jousting at wind mills.

Even under UK travel regulations it was a weather caused event for which the cruise line credited 2 days of cruise fare (the money the cruise line keeps for those days). They did cover hotels and air issues for those that booked through them.  For those that did not it is not the cruise lines concern.  Personal choice there.

In addition they provided a 50% future cruise credit.

If you had insurance you can probably claim some for the two days out of pocket, but the cruise line is not responsible for travel not booked through them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

p - the OP is from the UK and I do not think this part will translate over well...

bon voayge

Not sure why not. Celebrity does cruise from the UK and places close by in Europe so plenty of options for using the credit, even without flying from the UK. Can probably even find some cruises that would mostly be paid by the 50% cruise credit.  

23 minutes ago, npcl said:

Not sure why not. Celebrity does cruise from the UK and places close by in Europe so plenty of options for using the credit, even without flying from the UK. Can probably even find some cruises that would mostly be paid by the 50% cruise credit.  

@Bo1953 was referring to the phrase "winner winner, chicken dinner", which he highlighted in red, not to the use of future cruise credits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, npcl said:

Bo was talking about the saying "Winner winner, chicken dinner" not being understood/ translated in England.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Op and all for these posts, which I find very instructive.

I have to admit that I can be counted amongst the group of passengers who do not take the time to read all the fine print multi pages details of a cruise line/airline contract, which are written in legal terminology and extremely... boring. In addition, they only become pertinent in unusual circumstances, such as an unplanned extreme weather event. So, I alway hope, never to have to read them.

In my experience, in general, airlines respond in a similar way as cruise lines: If a change of itinerary is required due to a technical, mechanical or other element under the carrier’s control, passenger compensation is normally more substantive. When it is weather related.... passengers are more dependant on the carrier’s good will.

Op, I understand your disappointment. I would likely feel disappointed too.

Thank you to PTC DAWG for providing us the detailed offer made by Celebrity.

I sure hope, I will not experience this scenario; but, if I do, I will be better prepared thanks to this thread.