Credits offered unacceptable

cobre5

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

After seeing this, it seems more than fair to me, I don’t get the OP’s issue, maybe I’m missing something. 

You are not the only one, but based off the letter that was posted, it looks like the OP got exactly what was promised.  Maybe they should sit down with their travel agent and have them explain it to him.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Sorry you missed 2 days of your special cruise.   Unfortunately, weather is  not  something in the cruise line's  control., so they could have stiffed you completely with no offer.

Unfortunately, hcat is correct - they are under no obligation to compensate you at all for weather-related delays. We missed a port (Antigua) on a recent cruise due to high seas/dangerous weather conditions and there was no compensation offered, just a refund of related port fees. Given that, their offer seems relatively generous. It is really unfortunate that you were out of pocket so much for the two nights lodging, though - hopefully your travel insurance will compensate you somewhat for that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solution said:

Please calm down yourself first, and others will respect you. Your input shows that you are very upset.

To clarify, the total price of a cruise consists of three components: basic cruise fare, non commissionable cruise fare (likely overhead), and government taxes. Only the first component relates directly to the cruise vacation, and to a certain extend, the taxes (includes port charges). Because the port charges are usually small by the person, cruise line don't usually refund it.

I had one weather related delay years ago. The ship could not dock until one day later. We missed one day onboard, we got back US$50 on board credit. We did not make a big issue out of it and we enjoyed the sailing.

Also, UK may have a different compensation than North America.

The noncommissionable cruise fare is simply the amount on which  the line decides that it does not wish to pay commission. It is most certainly part of the cruise fare - the guest invoice never shows that amount and, when we have gotten a refund or FCC based on what we paid, the NCCF amount is always part of the calculation.

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

Unfortunately, hcat is correct - they are under no obligation to compensate you at all for weather-related delays. We missed a port (Antigua) on a recent cruise due to high seas/dangerous weather conditions and there was no compensation offered, just a refund of related port fees. Given that, their offer seems relatively generous. It is really unfortunate that you were out of pocket so much for the two nights lodging, though - hopefully your travel insurance will compensate you somewhat for that.

There’s a difference between missing a port and shortening the cruise by 2 days. X are not providing lodging, food, beverages and entertainment on a shortened cruise the way they are when a port is missed. If they are not providing the service, IMO they should refund that portion of the fare, which it appears they are doing.

As for the £1000 in expenses, that’s a classic case of trip delay that OP’s insurance should cover, in whole or in part. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect Celebrity to offer a refund AND to cover expenses for something that’s out of their control. 

I do think that OP should call Celebrity and have them walk him through the calculation. And take notes and report back here, please.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, npcl said:

Not sure why not. Celebrity does cruise from the UK and places close by in Europe so plenty of options for using the credit, even without flying from the UK. Can probably even find some cruises that would mostly be paid by the 50% cruise credit.  

n - it is the tagline I was in reference to, not the ability of the OP to use the offered credit.... sorry it was not clearer..

bon voyage

37 minutes ago, critterchick said:

I do think that OP should call Celebrity and have them walk him through the calculation. And take notes and report back here, please.

Since OP booked via a TA, it's their responsibility to explain to the passenger and negotiate with Celebrity if that's what's requested.  Celebrity will not discuss financial arrangements directly with the passenger when booked via a TA.

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

After seeing this, it seems more than fair to me, I don’t get the OP’s issue, maybe I’m missing something. 

I’m guessing they also want refunded the cost difference for staying 2 nights in the £1000 hotel. 

Edited by dcbiker97

33 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Since OP booked via a TA, it's their responsibility to explain to the passenger and negotiate with Celebrity if that's what's requested.  Celebrity will not discuss financial arrangements directly with the passenger when booked via a TA.

Oops, missed that.

5 hours ago, cobre5 said:

this is a fact it was our worst cruise ever in the smallest cabins and bathrooms experienced on a cruise ship and we were in Aqua Class

Curious what other lines you have cruised.  I’ve also sailed on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. The cabins and bathrooms on similar balcony cabins were very close in size to Celebrity, and sometimes smaller. Perhaps you misunderstood what Aqua Class is all about. It has more amenities but is definitely not a suite.  If that is what you expected you were bound to be disappointed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcbiker97 said:

I’m guessing they also want refunded the cost difference for staying 2 nights in the £1000 hotel. 

That is a matter for their insurance, not Celebrity.

If you want hotel/travel costs covered you need to book those with Celebrity in the first place.

Shouldn't really be an issue though, any normal UK travel insurance policy should cover that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Curious what other lines you have cruised.  I’ve also sailed on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. The cabins and bathrooms on similar balcony cabins were very close in size to Celebrity, and sometimes smaller. Perhaps you misunderstood what Aqua Class is all about. It has more amenities but is definitely not a suite.  If that is what you expected you were bound to be disappointed.

We have sailed with many cruise likes including RCL and Princess and the cabins and particularly bathroom on Millenium are very small

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

All I want refunded is 2 days at the price I paid not 2 days at basic cruise fare. With regards to the hotel whilst I feel Celebrity should make some contribution I am not chasing this. 

12 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Goodness no. You should use your local law firm, Do We Cheat-um and How.

Not a very  helpful post.....some people are neg about attys,,.until they need one!.

Sounds  like OP does not have ins that covers the hotel...or maybe it excludes bad weather as a cause of trip delay???

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Not a very  helpful post.....some people are neg about attys,,.until they need one!.

Yepper, that is correct. And 'some people' realize an attempt at humor as well. I happen to have a couple of attorney friends and you should here some of their lawyer jokes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cobre5 said:

All I want refunded is 2 days at the price I paid not 2 days at basic cruise fare. With regards to the hotel whilst I feel Celebrity should make some contribution I am not chasing this. 

The total price you paid includes commissions to the TA. The basic fare is what the cruise line gets to keep of the total amount you paid (excluding taxes and fees). You should not expect to get back any portion of the commissions that the cruise line paid to your TA. You should also get refunded the port charges for the ports you missed but then charged for any new port which was substituted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cobre5 said:

I agree, I would expect to receive a refund of the full price paid for those two days. The situation is completely different to missing a port (which some people have mentioned) when you would still be accommodated and fed and watered.

We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year and the ship started taking on water and so we limped to Vigo where the ship was repaired. We missed a lot of ports on the cruise because of it, and people were unhappy. However, we received 1/3 of the full cruise cost back, and also £150pp future cruise credit. As we had continued to be housed, fed and watered throughout, I thought this very generous.
I’m therefore surprised Celebrity aren’t being a little more generous, by at least refunding your actual cost.

The times we were delayed boarding because of hurricanes,  or weather the cruise lines did not pay for any expenses.  We were refunded the daily rate of the cruise fare we paid plus a little SBC.  Those cruises were with Princess and Carnival.   It was an experience as we were stranded without any hotel reservations and most places were without power.   The hotel we were staying at before the cruise let us stay the night at the same rate but we didn’t have any services, just a room and bed.  No running water or power.  In the morning they set up a make shift kitchen using charcoal, and propane grills to serve breakfast that was Eggs, bacon, bagel and coffee.  Cash only.   Everything was cash basis because of no power.   2 days later we were able to board the ship.  No complaints as we were very happy to have a room with electricity and running water.  

Recently traveling across the US a hotel we had booked 6 months in advance emailed us 3 days before our reservation that they would be shut down for a few months because of the flood that affected there location.

We had to drive another 100 miles for a hotel with a vacancy  and had to pay double in price.   No compensation.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Celebrity should definitely refund you the cost of your drink package for the two days missed.   The loss of the two days passage is not something they would legally have to do but it sounds like they are making an effort to give back a portion of the cruise fare.

We definitely rely on cruise insurance for these types of situations especially during hurricane or typhoon seasons.    If this was due to the fault of Celebrity it would be an entirely different matter.

• Thanks 2

Reminds me of when our Carnival cruise was cancelled a couple of months before the trip because the ship caught fire. They refunded all money and gave us 50% off our next cruise. We used that to take our kids on a summer cruise.

Reminds me of when our Carnival cruise was cancelled a couple of months before the trip because the ship caught fire. They refunded all money and gave us 50% off our next cruise. We used that to take our kids on a summer cruise.
Not the same

Weather is something that cannot be controlled

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Not the same

Weather is something that cannot be controlled

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is why "Reminds me" was used.

On to more important topics, tough loss for the Pack last Sunday against LAC. Hopefully we can turn things around against Carolina.

GO PACK GO!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rhblake said:

The total price you paid includes commissions to the TA. The basic fare is what the cruise line gets to keep of the total amount you paid (excluding taxes and fees). You should not expect to get back any portion of the commissions that the cruise line paid to your TA. You should also get refunded the port charges for the ports you missed but then charged for any new port which was substituted.

Actually, yes, he should expect to get that back, how Celebrity distribute the amount he paid is irreleavant to what his refund should be, but the anomaly comes from the fact that the OP is talking to the wrong people at the moment. He should be getting his refund from the TA as that is who he paid in the first place and the TA will have to add that part of the commission they were paid to the refund ofthe base fare from Celebrity.

The alternative though is to takethe offer direct from Celebrity which includes a total value above that which he would get back from the TA if he sees value in the future cruise credit. If not then don't accept that offer and pursue this with the TA upon his return...

... but keep in mind limitations regarding changes due to weather...

NB: Actually it would be good to see the email that should have been sent to the OP in the UK as it should be different to the one sent to non-EU guests as the requirements are different.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Thanks 1