Doggie bag/to go from MDR

I’ve been on a few cruises including Royal. I know that ordering multiple appetizers and main dishes is no big deal and that the waiters won’t even bat an eye. What about ordering dessert in a to go box/doggie bag?? I’m currently experiencing stomach issues where I have to eat every hour and a half to two hours or else I will get very sick (🤢🤮). Since I eat so frequently, I actually very very little at a time. I’m traveling with a large group so I want to eat in the MDR with them every night but pretty much my meal will just be an appetizer. I would love to be able to take the cheese sampler that is on the dessert menu back to my room to eat later. But don’t know how weird of a request that would be or if it would be worth the hassle.

I have had food delivered from MDR and SP restaurants on ships many times.  They would not allow me to carry it to my cabin at times and other times they did.   Talk to MD and explain medical situation and he/she most likely will work with you.  Just ask.  Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

I'll just add that when DW was sick on a previous cruise and didn't come to dinner, our waiter offered to box up a dinner for me to take. So definitely a possibility, although what they do specifically may depend on the ship.

In the end I went to the Windjammer and brought her some soup, which felt weird carrying a tray on the elevator, but I've seen it done before and since.

We've never had a problem. We've taken deserts back to the cabin dozens of times, and full meals several times as well. Sometimes if one party member is feeling seasick the waiter themselves will suggest it, other times we've asked, but it's never been an issue. They bring the plate covered with the plastic topper for you to take back to the cabin.

They will pack something "to go" for you if you ask.  Talk to the head waiter before and there should be no problem.  On one cruise, I was not feeling well enough to go to the MDR.  The waitstaff insisted on my wife bringing something back for me.  Some sort of clear broth.

On another cruise, someone in our party really wanted fettuccine alfredo.  Not on the menu, but they were able to make it the next day for dinner.  Be respectful and ask, and the staff usually will accommodate you. 

9 minutes ago, mikebz said:

9 minutes ago, mikebz said:

On another cruise, someone in our party really wanted fettuccine alfredo.  Not on the menu, but they were able to make it the next day for dinner.  Be respectful and ask, and the staff usually will accommodate you. 

REAL Fettuccine Alfredo is actually one of the easiest and simplest uncomplicated dishes they could ever be asked to make.\

Aside from the pasta there is only cheese, butter and some of the pasta water.. So simple yet so much better than what is normally served when it is ordered...

Anything perishable should not be brought back to your cabin.

They are not true refrigerators with the proper safe temperature.

They are coolers and keep contents at temperatures in the upper 40’s/ 50’s.

Food can spoil at those temps and cause problems.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, TBone2K said:

In the end I went to the Windjammer and brought her some soup, which felt weird carrying a tray on the elevator, but I've seen it done before and since.

I’ve done this at breakfast for DW.  I will bring something like a shopping bag to carry back. Might order the continental room service first to get a plate cover or just put another plate over the food plate.