New Grounds Coffee Package Question

cruzysuzy

15 hours ago, cruzysuzy said:

I've wondered if getting two coffees at one time might be a problem.  As with all things Princess it probably will depend on the ship's staff.

I had no problems ordering  2 brewed coffees at the same time in June on Caribbean Princess. I did have the old punch card, and then had to buy another new one on board. The medallion is great for this!

2 hours ago, LSUGranny said:

So if I want to get coffee for myself and my husband too, what??  He is on a walker, can't get around easily, and we like to get coffee early.  Is my only option the buffet?  We really like the coffee at the IC.

No issue if each of you has a coffee pkg ... or, if only one of you has the pkg, one coffee should be included/complementary and the other "charged", to avoid sharing. 

Edited by pms4104

6 hours ago, LSUGranny said:

So if I want to get coffee for myself and my husband too, what??  He is on a walker, can't get around easily, and we like to get coffee early.  Is my only option the buffet?  We really like the coffee at the IC.

Are you wanting the fresh-brewed that is available with the coffee "card" or wanting specialty coffees?  You cannot get two fresh brewed at the same time with one "card", but you can get one fresh brewed and one specialty at the same time or two specialties at the same time. The specialties will count towards your purchased limit if 15 specialty drinks.

6 hours ago, waltd said:

If it's that early and you are both in the room you can always call room service.   Or I suppose you could take his cruise card or medallion  with you for the free coffee at the IC if you are both in the Piazza.   I can't imagine   carrying two cups of coffee back to the room. 

Room service coffee will not be fresh brewed.

I also find the usage of the coffee card confusing !!. Maybe all will appear clearer once on board.So according to this post if I purchase one coffee card which  covers 15 specialty coffees  both myself and husband can use it get specialties together until the 15 coffees are used ?.  One card covers 15 which would be enough for our 8day cruise .If we both bought a card that would be 30 coffees to get through which would be far to many .

Ok, newbie to Princess here, totally confused about this.  My husband drinks "regular" American coffee, black, no frills.  Do we need a coffee card to get him coffee??? Is there a charge for coffee on Princess??  I like specialty drinks, cappuccinos, lattes, frappuccino's, iced coffee.  I usually get it at whatever coffee shop is on board, some lines have Starbucks, some have other brands, Oceania has Baristas which has free speciality coffee, please help me understand coffee on Princess ships.  We are going on the Regal Princess in June.  Do we need a coffee card for hubby to get regular plain black coffee? Is there a charge? I assume there's a charge for specialty coffee, do I need a coffee card or do I purchase it as I consume it? Is there a dedicated place for coffee? Can't hubby get coffee in the cafe or restaurant or buffet in a to-go-cup in the morning? Someone please explain! thanks!

3 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Ok, newbie to Princess here, totally confused about this.  My husband drinks "regular" American coffee, black, no frills.  Do we need a coffee card to get him coffee??? Is there a charge for coffee on Princess??  I like specialty drinks, cappuccinos, lattes, frappuccino's, iced coffee.  I usually get it at whatever coffee shop is on board, some lines have Starbucks, some have other brands, Oceania has Baristas which has free speciality coffee, please help me understand coffee on Princess ships.  We are going on the Regal Princess in June.  Do we need a coffee card for hubby to get regular plain black coffee? Is there a charge? I assume there's a charge for specialty coffee, do I need a coffee card or do I purchase it as I consume it? Is there a dedicated place for coffee? Can't hubby get coffee in the cafe or restaurant or buffet in a to-go-cup in the morning? Someone please explain! thanks!

The Coffee Grinds package isn't even offered on the December 13th 2019 Ruby Princess cruise. Check your Personalizer. If it's not there than your questions are moot. Does anyone know if a coffee package can be purchased on the ship if it's not offered prior to sailing?

6 minutes ago, modernmind said:

The Coffee Grinds package isn't even offered on the December 13th 2019 Ruby Princess cruise. Check your Personalizer. If it's not there than your questions are moot. Does anyone know if a coffee package can be purchased on the ship if it's not offered prior to sailing?

I checked, it is offered.  Still confused.  It includes 15 hot or cold specialty drinks and unlimited complimentary brewed coffee.  So again, do we need this card to get unlimited brewed coffee? I assume not, if it is just regular brewed coffee, there is no charge, so card is only needed if we are planning on purchasing 15 specialty coffees? For a 12 day cruise, not sure this makes sense? Unless planning on having more than one specialty coffee on three days? If I want a specialty coffee 10 of 12 days, or plan on having less than 15 speciality coffees for the 12 days, then does this still make sense? How much is a specialty coffee if I'm planning on getting them a la carte?

Edited by cruisegal415

15 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Have your husband buy the coffee package. That way he will get unlimited brewed coffee for the duration of the cruise and he can opt to spend the specialty coffees on you as the “punches” can be shared.

My wife and I took her parents on a cruise a few years back. I don’t drink coffee at all, but I bought the package for the unlimited tea and hot chocolate and my wife and her parents had 5 specialty coffees each from the punches.

47 minutes ago, polmcs said:

Have your husband buy the coffee package. That way he will get unlimited brewed coffee for the duration of the cruise and he can opt to spend the specialty coffees on you as the “punches” can be shared.

My wife and I took her parents on a cruise a few years back. I don’t drink coffee at all, but I bought the package for the unlimited tea and hot chocolate and my wife and her parents had 5 specialty coffees each from the punches.

Sorry still confused.  Do they normally charge for "regular" brewed coffee? Can he not get unlimited brewed coffee without paying for a coffee package? Wouldn't I have to have 15 speciality coffees for us to break even on this?

On 11/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, LSUGranny said:

AS TO IC: I think the confusion is whether you can get 2 complementary brewed coffee without using up 1 of the specialty credits (15 per pkg). If getting 2 brewed cups you will get 1 free and 1 charged against your 15. If getting 1 brewed and 1 specialty you will get 1 free and be charged for a 1. If you are a solo (as I am) and they know you are then you can get a grande latte + glass and it counts as 1. (I frequent the same barista)

It's not complicated 

Break even point:

15 brewed (2-3)

10 cocoa (3.50)

9 specialty (3.50 - 4+)

When I pay 2-6k for a cruise I'm not concerned about the price of coffee. (Pay $2.15+ every day at home so it's about the same) YMMV

Edited by Ombud

38 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Sorry still confused.  Do they normally charge for "regular" brewed coffee? Can he not get unlimited brewed coffee without paying for a coffee package? Wouldn't I have to have 15 speciality coffees for us to break even on this?

On most Princess ships, yes you have to pay for regular brewed coffee, but. I see that you are on the Regal and that does offer regular brewed coffee for free in the buffet and MDR. As I mentioned in my initial reply, I do not drink coffee, so I don’t know if you have to pay for regular brewed coffee elsewhere on the ship.

2 hours ago, brunoseas said:

I also find the usage of the coffee card confusing !!. Maybe all will appear clearer once on board.So according to this post if I purchase one coffee card which  covers 15 specialty coffees  both myself and husband can use it get specialties together until the 15 coffees are used ?.  One card covers 15 which would be enough for our 8day cruise .If we both bought a card that would be 30 coffees to get through which would be far to many .

Yes, one card can be used for speciality coffees for both of you. We used one card at a time during a 35 night cruise, just buying a new one when the previous one was used up. It was much easier to keep track of that way.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, modernmind said:

The Coffee Grinds package isn't even offered on the December 13th 2019 Ruby Princess cruise.

Does anyone know if a coffee package can be purchased on the ship if it's not offered prior to sailing?

It will definitely be available onboard, just ask your waiter. 

BTW if it isn't you'll probably hear my DH screaming in fury on the 5th - we're doing the Ruby cruise before yours. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

I have only seen the Premier Beverage Package at $63.99 per person, per day, on the personalizer for cruises downunder but can get coffee & soda pkgs inboard. 

note to self: stick yeti water bottle in suitcase. Don't mind paying for coffee / don't want to pay $2.95 per litter of H2O

11 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Ok, newbie to Princess here, totally confused about this.  My husband drinks "regular" American coffee, black, no frills.  Do we need a coffee card to get him coffee??? Is there a charge for coffee on Princess?? There is no charge for regular coffee in dining rooms and restaurants, at the buffet or from room service. On some ships the regular coffee is made from a coffee syrup which some people like and some hate. On other ships (mainly the Royal class) the regular coffee is fresh brewed and not from a coffee syrup.   I like specialty drinks, cappuccinos, lattes, frappuccino's, iced coffee.  I usually get it at whatever coffee shop is on board, some lines have Starbucks, some have other brands, Oceania has Baristas which has free speciality coffee, please help me understand coffee on Princess ships.  The specialty coffees do have a charge. With the coffee package, you get 15 specialty coffees which can be for you or for anybody else, but the user must use your cruise card/Medallion to get one. The coffee package also includes unlimited fresh brewed at no charge, but only for a person who has the coffee package. We are going on the Regal Princess in June.  Do we need a coffee card for hubby to get regular plain black coffee? Not if he finds the coffee in the dining rooms, restaurants, buffet and from room service acceptable. Is there a charge? I assume there's a charge for specialty coffee, do I need a coffee card or do I purchase it as I consume it? You can pay as you go or purchase the coffee package, your choice. Is there a dedicated place for coffee? Depending on the ship, there is always at least one dedicated place. On the Royal class, it would be at the International Cafe and also in the buffet area. Can't hubby get coffee in the cafe (no) or restaurant (no, but can drink a cup there) or buffet (yes)  in a to-go-cup in the morning?  Last sentence applies to regular coffee. If using a coffee card, cafe (yes) also. Someone please explain! thanks!

I hope the above in red helps.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, LSUGranny said:

There are servers in the atrium who will get you your coffees just the same way you get drinks if sitting in a bar. If you want two brewed complimentary coffees you will need two coffee cards ( or you can just pay the price of the brewed coffee at the IC ). If you want two specialty coffees or one specialty coffee and one brewed complimentary coffee you only need one card.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

I hope the above in red helps.

Totally.  I get it now.  Thanks so much! So if the card is tied to one person, it would make sense to have my husband, who drinks regular coffee regularly, have the card, and if I want a special coffee, he can get it for me using his card, where he gets a regular coffee and a specialty coffee at the same time? Would that cover if I wanted a cappuccino with dinner? There usually is a separate charge for that in the MDRs, but if we have the coffee package, does that cover that in the MDR as well as in the IC?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Totally.  I get it now.  Thanks so much! So if the card is tied to one person, it would make sense to have my husband, who drinks regular coffee regularly, have the card, and if I want a special coffee, he can get it for me using his card, where he gets a regular coffee and a specialty coffee at the same time? Would that cover if I wanted a cappuccino with dinner? There usually is a separate charge for that in the MDRs, but if we have the coffee package, does that cover that in the MDR as well as in the IC?

CG: Yes you have the 'trick' of the card down pat. I'm planning to get all five of us (two cabins) a card apiece, even though my sister doesn't drink the special coffees at all. She can "spend" her specialties on some of us who might want more than one a day on the 14-day cruise. My mom for that matter, is usually happy with the buffet's coffee, but this will give her another place to pick one up and the IC is closer to our cabins.

As far as the cappuccino after dinner, I hadn't thought of that! Hope someone can answer, I'll be watching this thread.

I’m debating whether to get the coffee card, so this thread has been helpful. I’m not a constant coffee drinker but like a good cup in the morning and a latte every once in awhile. Can someone tell me the cost of a brewed cup of coffee and a latte at the IC? We’ll be on the Golden for a 29 day cruise in April. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, rogueriver said:

I’m debating whether to get the coffee card, so this thread has been helpful. I’m not a constant coffee drinker but like a good cup in the morning and a latte every once in awhile. Can someone tell me the cost of a brewed cup of coffee and a latte at the IC? We’ll be on the Golden for a 29 day cruise in April. Thanks!

This is from my Caribbean Princess March 2019 cruise, it's just 1/2 the menu: 

Screenshot_20191112-200530_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39d8de6ff120262cf91e936d4e75aa75.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Yes, the coffee package will cover the specialty coffees you order in the dining room--cappuccinos, lattes, espressos, etc. I'm not a coffee drinker, but DH likes his after-dinner cappuccino. I got the coffee package on my account. He drank the cappuccinos. I used the package to get the hot tea at the IC that's complimentary with the coffee package. They'd even give me tea bags to take to the dining room so I could have better tea with breakfast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1