“Let’s have some Rum”

RandS

“Let’s Have Some Rum” is an excursion offered by Royal Caribbean. If anyone has done this your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

OVERVIEW

Raise a glass to San Juan’s longtime rum-making traditions as you watch a local bartender mix up Caribbean cocktails before sipping on your own and sampling aged Puerto Rican rum in an Old San Juan bar. Learn about the island’s history and legacy of making some of the world’s best rums while walking amid the walled-in Old San Juan ramparts. Then step inside a local watering hole and take a seat at the bar. Relish the chance to learn from the in-house mixologist on how to concoct three popular tropical cocktails using fresh ingredients and Puerto Rican rum. You’ll then get to choose a cocktail to sip on … will it be the Cuba Libre (rum & Coca-Cola), a frozen coconut-based Pina Colada, or the lime and mint-infused Mojito? Your spirited day also includes a small sampling of the island’s world-famous aged rum. Cheers to fun adventures in Puerto Rico! SJL0

We've never done that, but I would encourage you to get rum.  Personally, I like the sipping rum, particularly Don Q Gran Anejo.  There's a cool little rum bar near the cathedral- Casa Melaza Rum Boutique- they have a great selection of rums from around the Caribbean.  And they also have some special edition Don Q rum, including one that they had made for their bar.  

The other Puerto Rican rum I'll suggest is Ron Barrilito (3 star)- it's a classic.  

But if you would rather have a cocktail, at least use Don Q gold.  

(Bacardi is Cuban, even though it's made in Puerto Rico)

Have fun with whatever you choose to do!

Why pay for an excursion.  Just follow alfaeric's bar rec and walk around the city on a self guided walking tour.  Unless the bar is packed, the barkeep will gladly walk you through the rums and cocktails. You'll only have to pay for your drinks and maybe entrance fees to the forts and museums if you wish to enter. And if you're kinda stumbling after your tasting, easy to grab a taxi.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll look up this new information and come up with a plan. I agree about why pay for an excursion to drink and appreciate the recommendations. Also the tips on rum brands. Thanks!!