Crew working hours/salary

Tom47

8 hours ago, mom says said:

I'm still not understanding the point of your thread, other than that one of your favored cruise lines pays their crew more than the mass market lines do

He doesn't even know that to be true, which is why I'm even more confused at this thread.  

22 hours ago, sbtagent said:

Stareroom stewards: 22 cabins to serve,  $ 3,75 per day per pax, With 2 pax per cabin = $ 165/week + tip, a little more in suites, but fewer cabins to serve.And they pay a fee to the agency who hired them to RCI.

I think you need to check your math.

21 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Azamara evidently pays crew more(price includes tips & drinks).  On  our last cruise I said to our waiter"See you tomorrow."  He said tomorrow was his day off.  Their retention rate is in the 90s compared with 80% quoted in the article.  I heard an Azamara lecturer say something similar:  "Azamara pays better than the mass market lines and gives the crew more time off because they have such a high crew to pax ratio.  Mass market lines work their crew like dogs."

You are basing your conception of crew wages on cruise fare?  Believe me, there is no interrelationship between the two.  How do you know what the crew retention rate is?  Talking to onboard staff?  Are they going to give an honest answer?  And the crew/pax ratio does not necessarily equate to less work per crew member, it just means they can provide more service.

12 hours ago, Aquahound said:

He doesn't even know that to be true, which is why I'm even more confused at this thread.  

Yeah, me too.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, crazyank said:

I think you need to check your math.

Yes, you are correct, that was per week.

I like to add, not all cabin stewards have 22 cabins, som has far less, like 14 - 15. The dining room stewards should also be getting the same amount. So, the pay is not bad. They get a free air ticket to enlist, but have to pay their air ticket to home when they og on vacation like after a 8 month contract. And this one-way ticket could be expensive to Places like the Philippines or Mauritius.

I for one can never understand the rationale behind all this, " the crew work so hard, so we tip them over and above the autotips". 

Yes, the crew do work hard, but they are working of their own volition, on salaries that are considerably higher than they would earn at home. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I for one can never understand the rationale behind all this, " the crew work so hard, so we tip them over and above the autotips". 

Yes, the crew do work hard, but they are working of their own volition, on salaries that are considerably higher than they would earn at home. 

The rationale is that it is a personal choice.  Perhaps it is one that you would not agree with or understand but that does not make it any less valid for those who would.  In other words, there is no right or wrong, just a personal choice.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbtagent said:

Yes, you are correct, that was per week.

I like to add, not all cabin stewards have 22 cabins, som has far less, like 14 - 15. The dining room stewards should also be getting the same amount. So, the pay is not bad. They get a free air ticket to enlist, but have to pay their air ticket to home when they og on vacation like after a 8 month contract. And this one-way ticket could be expensive to Places like the Philippines or Mauritius.

Not quite correct.  If they finish their contract, their return air fare is paid by the company, by law, since the MLC 2006 convention went into effect in 2013.  If they quit or are terminated, then they have to pay their way home.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sbtagent said:

They get a free air ticket to enlist, but have to pay their air ticket to home when they og on vacation like after a 8 month contract. And this one-way ticket could be expensive to Places like the Philippines or Mauritius.

This is incorrect. On completing their contract, MLC 2006 requires all crew to be repatriated to their home airport. Flights are arranged and paid by the company and the crew are delivered from the ship to the airport, normally by the ship's agent.

When crew quit, or are terminated with cause they may be responsible for own repatriation costs.

Apologies for duplication, just noted the Chief already responded.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:53 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Just in case you may not be aware, Azamara, is a subsidiary of RCI, which owns RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, and has a majority share interest in Silversea.  (Other stakeholder interests include TUI and Pulllmantur). 

Actually, RCI (Royal Caribbean International) is a subsidiary of RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.) which is the holding company of Azamara and the other entities mentioned.