docking in St Georges

PTAngel

Our ship will be docking in St. Georges in May for 2 nights then moving to Hamilton for 1 night.  I read about getting a shuttle from the visitor center to Tobacco Bay Beach.  I was a little confused about the price.  Can someone confirm the price of the shuttle & the hours to/from the beach back to town? 

Also, is there still a walking tour of St. Georges?  I read about a couple of years ago & it looked interesting but I ran out of time.  I am trying to build up my stamina so I can do it this time.  I have issues with my back & arthritis in legs.  I do not use a cane but I tire faster that I would like.

I am planning on using a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach since I heard the bus drops you off at the top of the hill & you need to walk down & then back up when you return to town.  I have heard $20 for taxi.  Is that each way or round trip?  I know I need to ask them to come back to get us at a specific time later.  

The rest of the time will just be wandering around town in both ports.  I've been to Bermuda once (for 2 1/2 days) but docked in Dockyard.  I'm really looking forward to these 2 ports.

Edited by PTAngel

45 minutes ago, PTAngel said:

Our ship will be docking in St. Georges in May for 2 nights then moving to Hamilton for 1 night.  I read about getting a shuttle from the visitor center to Tobacco Bay Beach.  I was a little confused about the price.  Can someone confirm the price of the shuttle & the hours to/from the beach back to town? 

Also, is there still a walking tour of St. Georges?  I read about a couple of years ago & it looked interesting but I ran out of time.  I am trying to build up my stamina so I can do it this time.  I have issues with my back & arthritis in legs.  I do not use a cane but I tire faster that I would like.

I am planning on using a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay Beach since I heard the bus drops you off at the top of the hill & you need to walk down & then back up when you return to town.  I have heard $20 for taxi.  Is that each way or round trip?  I know I need to ask them to come back to get us at a specific time later.  

The rest of the time will just be wandering around town in both ports.  I've been to Bermuda once (for 2 1/2 days) but docked in Dockyard.  I'm really looking forward to these 2 ports.

I was docked in St. George's in August for 2 days and there was no shuttle. We walked to Tobacco Bay.as it is about a 15 to 20 minute walk but you can take a taxi if you can't walk. The distance is so short and it won't be expensive. I would estimate $8 to $10 each way plus tip. They still have the walking tours. The other day there we took a taxi to Clearwater Beach/Coopers Reserve which was about $20 each way. 

The bus does drop off at the top of the hill so for you a taxi is advisable. From Hamiltion to Horseshoe Bay a taxi is $20 each way plus tip. We took a taxi there in August and that was the fare. You don't need to arrange a taxi to come back from Horseshoe Bay. There will be plenty of taxis there. 

Edited by Charles4515

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I was docked in St. George's in August for 2 days and there was no shuttle. We walked to Tobacco Bay.as it is about a 15 to 20 minute walk but you can take a taxi if you can't walk. The distance is so short and it won't be expensive. I would estimate $8 to $10 each way plus tip. They still have the walking tours. The other day there we took a taxi to Clearwater Beach/Coopers Reserve which was about $20 each way. 

The bus does drop off at the top of the hill so for you a taxi is advisable. From Hamiltion to Horseshoe Bay a taxi is $20 each way plus tip. We took a taxi there in August and that was the fare. You don't need to arrange a taxi to come back from Horseshoe Bay. There will be plenty of taxis there. 

I have never been to Clearwater Beach and was thinking of checking it out in May when I am docked in St. Georges. Would you recommend it? Also, can you tell me a bit about Coopers Reserve? Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Thanks,  I know I can get a lot of good information on CC.  Where does the ship dock in St Georges & how far to the visitor center?  Also, where does the ship dock in Hamilton?  Is it a short walking distance to both towns?

9 hours ago, PTAngel said:

Thanks,  I know I can get a lot of good information on CC.  Where does the ship dock in St Georges & how far to the visitor center?  Also, where does the ship dock in Hamilton?  Is it a short walking distance to both towns?

Ships dock in St. George's at Pennos Wharf. The World Heritage Center is right there. The town is not very big so everything in the Town of St. George is close walking distance. The visitors center is on York Street. ( moved from the old location) That is a few blocks from the dock near the Post Office.  Ships dock in Hamiltion on Front Street. Right in the center of Hamiltion in the commercial area. 

11 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

I have never been to Clearwater Beach and was thinking of checking it out in May when I am docked in St. Georges. Would you recommend it? Also, can you tell me a bit about Coopers Reserve? Thanks in advance.

Right next to Clearwater Beach is Turtle Bay beach. I recommend Turtle Bay beach because there’s lots of turtles swimming there and it is a nice sandy beach. We had the taxi drop us at Turtle Bay. There is a lifeguard  a Turtle Bay there but not chair rental. Next door to Turtle Bay is Clearwater Beach.  Also has a lifeguard. At Clearwater there were rentals and a beach bar. Gombey’s. Clearwater was man made for a military base.  It is OK but not what I would call a lovely beach.  Gombey’s owner has lost the concession and I have no seen anything yet on future plans. Hopefully something will be announced before next May. The gate to Coopers Reserve is at Turtle Bay and the reserve has trails and another beach at the end. We walked around a bit but it was so hot in August we didn’t walk down to Long Beach. 

11 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

One more question. Is it easy to get a taxi back to St. Georges from Clearwater?

Got a taxi at the taxi stand in the town square in St, George to go there. We had the taxi drop us off at Turtle Bay. After a few hours there we walked the short distance to Clearwater. When we were ready to leave there were no taxis. In hindsight we probably should have asked our driver to come back but we were not sure how long we wanted to stay. At Gombey’s they would have called a taxi but there was another couple there who Gombey’s had already got a ride for. The ride was a gypsy taxi. We shared a ride back.  The gypsy driver charged the same $20 as the metered taxi ride to the beach. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 10:52 AM, Charles4515 said:

• 1 month later...

Does any one know what time & where to meet for the walking tour of historic St George?  Also, the cost?  Do I just check at the visitor center?  Does the walking tour include a reenactment of the dunking?  I can't find the original information.  

Thanks.

8 hours ago, PTAngel said:

Does any one know what time & where to meet for the walking tour of historic St George?  Also, the cost?  Do I just check at the visitor center?  Does the walking tour include a reenactment of the dunking?  I can't find the original information.  

Thanks.

In the past the walking tours left the visitor information center at 10:30. They were charging $12. The walking tour included the ducking reenactment. I don’t know if they are continuing the walking tours this year. I would guess yes. More info should be available closer to the summer season. You also can wait until you get there to inquire at the visitor center. They open at 10:00 am. You can also do a self guided tour. The re-enactment takes place in the town square. You can see that on your own too.  During the week except on Friday, they start at 12:00 noon and finish around 12:30. 

Thanks, Charles4515.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  That tour grabbed my attention when I went a couple of years ago but I didn't have time then.  This cruise I'm determined to do this.  I'm even training so I can be fit physically to handle it.  That is my goal this year & I don't leave until May 11 so I should be fine.

• Like 1

The walking tour I remembered is a UNESCO Walking Tour.  I've done more research & printed the info.

I also found out there is a shuttle bus (maybe called the Beach Bus) for $7.00 for the day .  It goes between St George, Tobacco Bay Beach,  Ft Catherine (I think) & maybe a couple of other sites on the eastern end of Bermuda.  I'll go to the Visitor Center when we get there to get the most current information & tickets.  I'm hoping I can also buy bus tokens there.  

9 hours ago, PTAngel said:

The walking tour I remembered is a UNESCO Walking Tour.  I've done more research & printed the info.

I also found out there is a shuttle bus (maybe called the Beach Bus) for $7.00 for the day .  It goes between St George, Tobacco Bay Beach,  Ft Catherine (I think) & maybe a couple of other sites on the eastern end of Bermuda.  I'll go to the Visitor Center when we get there to get the most current information & tickets.  I'm hoping I can also buy bus tokens there.  

Dated information. That bus existed for one year about four or five years ago and was discontinued. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have an Elbow Beach question.  I will be in Hamilton on RC Empress in July.  I am traveling solo.  I've already mapped out the bus stops for Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay, and I may just hike the path between the two. Very excited.

I also would like to go to Elbow Beach (would have to be the same day) but I can't tell on Google maps where the EB bus stop is.  2 questions:  1) Is the bus stop right at the curve in the road, where Tribe Road intersects?   2) If I were to take a taxi to Elbow Beach, would the driver be able to drop me off and pick me up at the end of Tribe Road, to spare my aging body that long walk at the end of a tiring day?

Thank you to anyone who could answer this! 🙂

10 hours ago, cruisegirl1963 said:

2) If I were to take a taxi to Elbow Beach, would the driver be able to drop me off and pick me up at the end of Tribe Road, to spare my aging body that long walk at the end of a tiring day?

Yes-- we have had taxis drop us off at the bottom many times. They will usually take you through the hotel entrance, past the front drop off and just continue down to the beach bar area. Taxis will also pick up there. 

Hi it's me again.  I think I may've figured out my best itinerary.  I would take the bus to Elbow Beach and then call a taxi to take me back to Hamilton.  I just can't find anywhere on maps or el internet where the heck the bus would drop one off.  There are no bus stops and it doesn't look safe to walk along the roadway in that area. SOS

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1963 said:

Hi it's me again.  I think I may've figured out my best itinerary.  I would take the bus to Elbow Beach and then call a taxi to take me back to Hamilton.  I just can't find anywhere on maps or el internet where the heck the bus would drop one off.  There are no bus stops and it doesn't look safe to walk along the roadway in that area. SOS

There are two bus stops. One for Elbow Beach Resort and the other is the bus stop where you walk down to the public part of the beach without walking through the hotel grounds. I am not sure what your plans are at Elbow Beach. The resort does not rent chairs or allow use of their amneities at the private part of the beach without a day pass. But they do have a bar on the private part of the beach. What I did was use the public part of the beach, no amenities, you can put a towel down, then I used the bar. I told the bus driver to let me off at the stop for the public part of the beach. You as a passenger don't have to know where the stop is, you won't know on the bus when you get there, you have to explain to the driver. Ask politley to be told when you get there. Don't try reading the map while on the bus. That stop was a short walk downhill on a small road. When I was done using the beach I went to their bar. had a drink used the bathroom. it is a few steps from the public beach. When I went back to Hamiltion I walked up through the hotel grounds. I wanted to see what the resort looked like. No one stopped me. Outside the reception area were a few taxies. I decided to take the bus back. The other bus  stop was at the end of that entrance drive. 

Same thing if going to Warwick Long Bay or Horseshoe Bay on the bus. Gibbs Lighthouse. Talk to the bus driver. 

Edited by Charles4515

Great info, Charles!  I'm trying to plan so I don't overdo it in the July weather.  I can see the bus stop by the entrance to the resort on maps.  That may be exactly what I do.  I plan to start out at Warwick/Jobson's Cove (walk down the road then driveway from that bus stop at Camp St.), then leisurely do the hike toward Horseshoe, spend a good amount of time at Horseshoe with lounger, then walk or golf cart it up the hill to the Horseshoe stop, bus it over to Elbow, then bus or taxi it back from Elbow.  I gotta see these beaches!

Thank you!! 🙂