Would appreciate someone on next Explorer cruise telling about drydock results

On 11/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, alexandra cruiser said:

Thanks all.Look forward to the new updates made.

I m on the Jan 8 one.

But did last one 6 mos ago and was really bothered by the theater steps. Fell and saw others having probs.Poor lites,and should have been an incline.Just a poor design and others felt same,,see post below re drydock.

Guess we’ll see you on board!  I saw you on the roll call but didn’t see you on the meet and mingle.  I think we’re at 18 signed up already.

Just under 2 months out.  Woohoo!

Just got on the ship today and I’ve been told the all carpets have been replaced. The outdoor Veranda looks as if the furniture is new and also the chairs inside La Veranda look new too. There is outdoor heating too. The corridor carpets look very smart.

I was on the Explorer in January and its difficult to remember what everything was like then but will check on the theatre steps and let you know. 

Unfortunately (for me) the Coffee Connection still looks dark and gloomy!

the crew are all very pleased to see us and the cabins were ready early as the ship didn’t have passengers before us. 

Its lovely to be back on board!

• Like 1

Sounds good so far...waiting for theater stair results.

Also, see this started in Barcelona,,did you have any probs with the protests or at airport?

Have one from that port soon,and was worried about booking it.

Just missed the probs in Santiago,Chile,,,but did have flight cancelled and needed to stay an extra day.There by missing connections,etc. Got home 2 days late.Thank God we re retired.

Love to see the world,,but so many things to deal with now days.

We also joined the ship today.  Nice outdoor area for Coffee Connection.  Carpeting everywhere  has that "new" smell.  Overhangs installed above loungers for shade on upper sun deck, better than the ones they could only use in port as they were too flimsy to stand up to the wind.  Some bathroom counters/floors were replaced under warranty due to staining. Some spa areas still under maintenance specifically women's cold room as well as infinity pool...both should be operational in 2-3 daya.

As far as the show lounge....has been closed all day as entertainment cast is rehearsing...but one crew member said they installed some blue LED lights to make the steps safer.  Maybe someday they'll be replaced with a gentle incline like they did on Voyager some time back.  Will take a look tonite

Yes the coffee connection outdoor area looks really nice though a bit chilly today. It will be very good when we are somewhere warmer. 

The orchestra played at the sail away and they were good outside. The lighting was very nice, an improvement? There are a lot of circular beds for two on the top deck which I think are new and also white curtains between each pair of sun beds on the back row of the pool deck. It looked very glamorous!

We went to the theatre tonight and Kwaj girl was right about the blue lights. They are along the edge of each step and very bright. You can’t miss them although they seemed to dim a bit during the show. Definitely better. 

I thought the internet had improved when I posted before. We were still docked in Barcelona and I thought it must have been upgraded in the dry dock. As soon as we were at sea the internet was non existent so it’s very disappointing. 

Its still lovely to be here though!

thanks Hambaghle for the good wishes.

Alexandra cruiser - we wondered about the situation in Barcelona too. We arrived on Monday and had no trouble whatsoever. There was nothing to worry about and no evidence of any disturbances. There were  a lot of police at the top of the Ramblas on Monday night but no trouble anywhere. We felt perfectly safe everywhere. 

1 hour ago, shemansl said:

I wonder if they have changed the "stairway to nowhere" where the aft stairway ends at deck 5 with a velvet rope instead of letting you go to deck 4  to access Compass Rose from Aft?  Always seemed strange to me!

Will never happen; that is a FDR special; he doesn't like guests entering from the rear of the dining room.  One time, when galley was open for buffet; I created a video of how you could use that staircase, cut through the galley, and end up in rear of Compass Rose.  A definite shortcut if you needed to use the restroom during dinner.

Marc

2 hours ago, shemansl said:

I wonder if they have changed the "stairway to nowhere" where the aft stairway ends at deck 5 with a velvet rope instead of letting you go to deck 4  to access Compass Rose from Aft?  Always seemed strange to me!

No. Nothing was changed on the stairway. 

7 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

No. Nothing was changed on the stairway. 

They didn't even change the stairway 90 degrees so that the elevator lobby is wider?  I had heard that as a possibility as far back as 2017 when we were on Explorer.

Sandy,

The staircase I was interested in is the one outside the main/front entry of Compass Rose, not the ones near the back elevator. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

It's not important - I'll see everything in just over a week!

Enjoy and I'll see you soon.

Peggy

26 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

The staircase I was interested in is the one outside the main/front entry of Compass Rose, not the ones near the back elevator. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that.

The main staircase has not changed. 

Likewise, the large columns in the theatre were not changed. I have not looked at the balcony to see if that was corrected to allow a normal viewing of the stage.