Fishing Excursion at any Tahiti Stops?

vanessa_

We are going on the Tahiti 7 Day Cruise on Dec 21.  My husband would love to take our 2 older kids (ages 9, 11) out fishing.  I didn't see anything offered by PG.  Has anyone gone on any private (or group) fishing trip at one of the stops they would highly recommend?  We are staying 2 nights at the IC in Papeete as well so could go then too.   Looking for 1/2 day outing, sturdy boat, knowledgeable staff, kid friendly and with some shade as well.  TIA!!  

Many years ago, we took our first trip to French Polynesia. We spent a week on Bora Bora at the Sofitel, and a week in Moorea, at what is now the IC. At the IC, we attempted to sign up for a fishing trip. The boat held 6 passengers, and was full. We put our name on the wait list, but no one cancelled. At happy hour that evening, we met the people who had gone out. The water was very rough, it was very hot, a few were very seasick, and the captain mentioned that he hadn't caught any fish in weeks. After a few hours, the guests suggested giving up and returning to the resort. The captain said that there was still 6 hours to go, and he had a new place he wanted to try. They went there and tried it, and still no bites. At that point, they asked to go back to the resort. The captain refused. They offered him money to take them back immediately, and he refused. They thought about tossing him overboard and taking the boat back themselves, but they didn't think they could get the boat back to the resort.  We told them we were sorry to hear about their ordeal, were relieved that we had not made it onboard. It sounded like a terrible experience, but we did have the boating experience to get the boat back to the resort. Who knows what have happened?

But we haven't heard any great experiences with private fishing charters, and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my kids go out with the charter boats we've seen in French Polynesia.

• Like 1