Advice of What to Bring for Toddler?

bamelin

So with our cruise on the Nieuw Statendam rapidly approaching we decided our SUV sized stroller was a bad idea to bring -- we went out and bought a Mountain Buggy Nano   (kinda like a really nice umbrella stroller) which folds into a carry on size for the airlines.  Hopefully this is small and versatile enough to roll around the ship.

Any other "must have" items to bring to keep a toddler happy on a cruise?

We know cruise line will supply pack n play in the room.   Will bring diapers, swim diapers (for ocean not ship pools!), plastic mat for eating and bibs and toddler utensils/sippy cup etc., tablet, a few toys, sunscreen, children medications ... 

I'm wracking my brain thinking of what else I should bring, if there is any "must have" item that I'd regret not having. 

We brought our daughter and our granddaughter on the Oasis when she was 2 and a blowup bathtub (who knew they existed?) came in handy as the cabin just had a shower.    If you don't have a tub, that might be nice to have.

She also ended up catching something in he kiddie play area (we think) so any medications that you might need you'll want to have as well.  There's probably less chance of that on HAL than there would be on RCI maybe.

Edited by ricka47
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

We brought our daughter and our granddaughter on the Oasis when she was 2 and a blowup bathtub (who knew they existed?) came in handy as the cabin just had a shower.    If you don't have a tub, that might be nice to have.

She also ended up catching something in he kiddie play area (we think) so any medications that you might need you'll want to have as well.  There's probably less chance of that on HAL than there would be on RCI maybe.

How did you put water in the blow up tub?  Just fill it using the shower?

We actually are bringing that for baths but I was thinking like how will I fill the blow up tub without making a mess lol.

Was thinking maybe I should bring some plastic garbage bags for after dinner to put dirty bib and baby utensils to carry back to room to wash.  Maybe a travel size dish soap too.

Our toddler will only be 17 months so will be hanging with us and grandparents throughout the cruise. 

2 minutes ago, bamelin said:

How did you put water in the blow up tub?  Just fill it using the shower?

We actually are bringing that for baths but I was thinking like how will I fill the blow up tub without making a mess lol.

Was thinking maybe I should bring some plastic garbage bags for after dinner to put dirty bib and baby utensils to carry back to room to wash.  Maybe a travel size dish soap too.

Our toddler will only be 17 months so will be hanging with us and grandparents throughout the cruise. 

She just put it in the shower and filled it up there.  It worked out really well!  My wife and I were in one cabin and my daughter, older granddaughter and the toddler were in another one.   She did pretty well at the dinners surprisingly enough.  The trick, as you already know, is to keep 'em occupied with stuff!

• Thanks 1

Though an unpleasant topic, a necessary one, we brought puppy poop bags for dirty nappies and clothes that got "dirty" and had to be stored in diaper bags before they could get to the laundry. We use the puppy poop bags at home too as it makes the diaper pail not so objectionable but on the ship it was a real necessity, especially overnight. Amazon has lots of biodegradable options, even in differing scents.

Toy wise, we brought very little, mostly nightime stuff like a petite white noise machine and her musical nightlight toy. We also did bring beach stuff, you know... pail, shovel, castle making stuff all in it's own sand friendly bag. She spent a lot of time just hanging out on the balcony completely entranced by the sea, munching on fruit loops, or playing with her little do dads.  

Sounds like you have things covered. I think you all will do great. I might have posted this before but I put together a short toddler on HAL review. The link is in my signature. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Though an unpleasant topic, a necessary one, we brought puppy poop bags for dirty nappies and clothes that got "dirty" and had to be stored in diaper bags before they could get to the laundry. We use the puppy poop bags at home too as it makes the diaper pail not so objectionable but on the ship it was a real necessity, especially overnight. Amazon has lots of biodegradable options, even in differing scents.

Toy wise, we brought very little, mostly nightime stuff like a petite white noise machine and her musical nightlight toy. We also did bring beach stuff, you know... pail, shovel, castle making stuff all in it's own sand friendly bag. She spent a lot of time just hanging out on the balcony completely entranced by the sea, munching on fruit loops, or playing with her little do dads.  

Sounds like you have things covered. I think you all will do great. I might have posted this before but I put together a short toddler on HAL review. The link is in my signature. 

I hadn't even thought about the diaper disposable issue hah.  So used to my diaper genie.  Def will get doggie poop bags.  Thanks I would have forgotten about that then been like oh nooooooooo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bamelin said:

I hadn't even thought about the diaper disposable issue hah.  So used to my diaper genie.  Def will get doggie poop bags.  Thanks I would have forgotten about that then been like oh nooooooooo

The ones we use come all rolled up so super easy to pack and carry in a diaper bag. I bought 2 rolls for a week and that worked well. Yeah, cruise cabin with limited space and air circulation +  disagreeable smells = unpleasant. lol.

Also of note, we keep a bottle of "Just One Drop" deodorizer in our cruise ship bathroom too for the same reason but for the big folks. Works very well. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

The ones we use come all rolled up so super easy to pack and carry in a diaper bag. I bought 2 rolls for a week and that worked well. Yeah, cruise cabin with limited space and air circulation +  disagreeable smells = unpleasant. lol.

Also of note, we keep a bottle of "Just One Drop" deodorizer in our cruise ship bathroom too for the same reason but for the big folks. Works very well. 

Great advice.  I enjoyed your review as well with your toddler.  My son is the exact same age as well, will be 17 months.  Looking at the bath, I need to call HAL and see if our stateroom has a tub.  Can't remember if balconies on Nieuw Statendam all have tubs or not. edit: Just checked, they don't.

Oh the dryer rack is another thing I would have forgotten.  Good ideas!

Edited by bamelin
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, bamelin said:

Great advice.  I enjoyed your review as well with your toddler.  My son is the exact same age as well, will be 17 months.  Looking at the bath, I need to call HAL and see if our stateroom has a tub.  Can't remember if balconies on Nieuw Statendam all have tubs or not. edit: Just checked, they don't.

Oh the dryer rack is another thing I would have forgotten.  Good ideas!

Yeah.. no tubs in most of the N. Statendam cabins. Might check into a rubber ducky baby tub that can double duty as a splash pool on your balcony. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066665/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Yeah.. no tubs in most of the N. Statendam cabins. Might check into a rubber ducky baby tub that can double duty as a splash pool on your balcony. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066665/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link … I found the same product on Amazon Canada.  Fabulous!   We knew we would need an inflatable tub but that one is SO cute!

• Like 1

We took our one year old on the N. Statendam's sister ship, the Koningsdam.  I second what has been said about the inflatable bath tub.  Unless the toddler likes showers, the blow up tub is a must.  I'd open the door of the shower against the inside wall of the shower, put the tub in, and fill it up with the hand held shower head.  Those tubs usually have a plug in the bottom which makes it super easy to let out the water.  We had a tub without a the duck head (but I know exactly which one you're talking about) so when we weren't using it, I just tucked it unobtrusively behind one of the chairs on the verandah.  That way it didn't take up space in the cabin and it dried out.  

The puppy poop bags are great. We actually always keep a roll in the diaper bag for when we have to throw out a poopy diaper in a public washroom.

Make sure to bring all medications you might need in toddler form - Advil/Tylenol/Gravol/Benedryl because I'm not sure if the ship would have those. 

You can buy boxes of disposable bibs on Amazon and in baby stores.  We brought along a box.  Sometimes depending on where you are and what you're eating, it can be simpler when travelling just to throw the bib out.  We also brought dish soap and sippy cups.  It's easy to get one filled with milk, and then wash them up afterwards.

You will not regret the stroller type you got.  We have the babyzen yoyo which folds in a similar way.  Definitely very maneuverable around the ship, and folded up super small in the cabin.  If I may make one small suggestion though.  You may want to check out the cityselect stroller that is the same size as the mountainbuggy nano.  It is about the same price/weight etc. but it has a more padded comfortable seating area for the child.

Bringing her favourite blanket and stuffie definitely helped out daughter settle in and go to sleep.

The other thing I would suggest, depending on the length of your cruise is to pack light and avail yourself of the unlimited laundry package.  Less luggage is the way to go when travelling with a toddler, the unlimited laundry was reasonably priced, and we were quite happy with it.

Also, bring a bunch of Ziplocs.  Toddlers can't always wait for everyone to get ready for breakfast or whatever.  They are hungry now, so what we would do is each evening get some buns or pastries from the lido buffet and keep them in our room to keep the hanger at bay until we were able to go to breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of good advice here! Do you baby wear? When our son was a toddler, I’d travel with my Tula carrier and used that almost as much in ports as our umbrella stroller. 

I travel with a tiny bottle of Dawn dish soap— excellent for washing small kid sized utensils, cups, removing stains from clothing before laundry, etc. 

Instead of using disposable bibs, I used to just tie or clip the large dinner napkins around our son’s neck—  it looked ridiculous but saved me from having to worry if I’d remembered to bring the bib. Just my little in a pinch trick! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dulciana8 said:

Lots of good advice here! Do you baby wear? When our son was a toddler, I’d travel with my Tula carrier and used that almost as much in ports as our umbrella stroller. 

I travel with a tiny bottle of Dawn dish soap— excellent for washing small kid sized utensils, cups, removing stains from clothing before laundry, etc. 

Instead of using disposable bibs, I used to just tie or clip the large dinner napkins around our son’s neck—  it looked ridiculous but saved me from having to worry if I’d remembered to bring the bib. Just my little in a pinch trick! 

Oh shoot, forgot to mention the Tula. It's a great carrier!  We took it with too, and used it where it wasn't practical to use the stroller.  We have one of the newer mesh style ones which helps keep them cool.  I'd really recommend the one with the mesh panels.  I think ours is the coast explore.  You can wear it on the front with the child facing inward or outward or like a backpack.

The napkin idea is a great one.  Didn't think of that.  What do you use to clip it?

We also took the rare earth magnet hooks from Lee Valley for the cabin walls.  Enabled us to hang stuff up like umbrellas to dry high up where they couldn't be grabbed.

• Like 1

Not sure but did you add hat and sunglasses?

This may be too much but we traveled with 3 kids and when the younger two were really young i packed complete outfits in gallon size storage bags and labeled them (day outfit, evening outfit...).  In it had a diaper, onesie, shorts and tshirt or diaper, dress and tights.  When we would head out to the beach i would throw in 2 of the day outfit bags or if dh went to get someone ready all he had to do was grab an evening outfit bag.  I threw them in the drawers.  Worked wonderfully 🙂

Have a great time!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mommyz said:

Not sure but did you add hat and sunglasses?

This may be too much but we traveled with 3 kids and when the younger two were really young i packed complete outfits in gallon size storage bags and labeled them (day outfit, evening outfit...).  In it had a diaper, onesie, shorts and tshirt or diaper, dress and tights.  When we would head out to the beach i would throw in 2 of the day outfit bags or if dh went to get someone ready all he had to do was grab an evening outfit bag.  I threw them in the drawers.  Worked wonderfully 🙂

Have a great time!

This is a great idea for any time really but absolutely for travel when you never know which of you will need to make a quick clothing change is some random bathroom. And then you have a zip top bag for the dirties. We were just at Disney and sending dh off to the MK with dd while I was in the hotel sick, yeah... I will remember this tip.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Pinkkong said:

We took our one year old on the N. Statendam's sister ship, the Koningsdam.  I second what has been said about the inflatable bath tub.  Unless the toddler likes showers, the blow up tub is a must.  I'd open the door of the shower against the inside wall of the shower, put the tub in, and fill it up with the hand held shower head.  Those tubs usually have a plug in the bottom which makes it super easy to let out the water.  We had a tub without a the duck head (but I know exactly which one you're talking about) so when we weren't using it, I just tucked it unobtrusively behind one of the chairs on the verandah.  That way it didn't take up space in the cabin and it dried out.  

The puppy poop bags are great. We actually always keep a roll in the diaper bag for when we have to throw out a poopy diaper in a public washroom.

Make sure to bring all medications you might need in toddler form - Advil/Tylenol/Gravol/Benedryl because I'm not sure if the ship would have those. 

You can buy boxes of disposable bibs on Amazon and in baby stores.  We brought along a box.  Sometimes depending on where you are and what you're eating, it can be simpler when travelling just to throw the bib out.  We also brought dish soap and sippy cups.  It's easy to get one filled with milk, and then wash them up afterwards.

You will not regret the stroller type you got.  We have the babyzen yoyo which folds in a similar way.  Definitely very maneuverable around the ship, and folded up super small in the cabin.  If I may make one small suggestion though.  You may want to check out the cityselect stroller that is the same size as the mountainbuggy nano.  It is about the same price/weight etc. but it has a more padded comfortable seating area for the child.

Bringing her favourite blanket and stuffie definitely helped out daughter settle in and go to sleep.

The other thing I would suggest, depending on the length of your cruise is to pack light and avail yourself of the unlimited laundry package.  Less luggage is the way to go when travelling with a toddler, the unlimited laundry was reasonably priced, and we were quite happy with it.

Also, bring a bunch of Ziplocs.  Toddlers can't always wait for everyone to get ready for breakfast or whatever.  They are hungry now, so what we would do is each evening get some buns or pastries from the lido buffet and keep them in our room to keep the hanger at bay until we were able to go to breakfast.

Thank you for your advice!

We actually did want the Baby Jogger City Select Tour 2 was our first choice -- Unfortunately in Canada you can't get the Tour 2 they only have Tour 1.   Was going to cost almost double after paying border duties to get the Tour 2 shipped from the US so we went with the Nano which we found on sale.

I wanted the babyzen Yoyo so bad … was my most toppest choice but it was going to run close to $800 Canadian after tax :classic_ohmy: -- (the Nano was on sale for $200 CAD).  I took a big crash course on quality travel strollers heavily researched them -- there were a bunch to pick from.  The most important factor for us was that it's small enough to go into Carry On while still having some measure of comfort for our son. 

We have a huge Graco stroller built like an SUV.   The Babyzen one I wanted to replace the Graco completely --- but we couldn't justify the cost when we already had the Graco so we went with the Mountain Buggy Nano -- thinking at the price we got it ($200 CAD is like $140 US) it's a happy medium for something really good quality that will still fit most airline storage carry on compartments.

Thinking about the laundry package but we only cruising for a week … well it's complicated we are doing 2 cruises, 1 a cheapie carnival the week before then the Nieuw Statendam.  Staying in hotels in between with laundry so thinking we may just do laundry at the hotel then see how it goes the 2nd week once on Nieuw Statendam.  Debating --- it's only $50 bucks USD so we might just do unlimited laundry.   Is HAL prompt about getting clothes sent out back to clients?   On my last Princess cruise literally "everybody" was Elite Status so laundry took like 4 days to get back.

Ziplock bags to scoop extra food from buffet for snacks and store in mini fridge -- good idea.  I wouldn't have thought of that.

See this is why I made this thread, getting so many great ideas.

Edited by bamelin

17 hours ago, Dulciana8 said:

My wife has an Ergobaby Carrier which we have used pretty extensively.  He's getting a bit heavy for it now at 22 pounds but we are thinking we may use it for the flight regardless.

One of the things we are debating about bringing, we have one of those beach tent protection thingys --- our cruises have multiple beach days.  The beach tent thing is smallish but will still take up space in luggage.

@mommyzI need to get him sunglasses too but I'm worried he'll just tear them off and throw away when I'm not looking lol.

Edited by bamelin

2 hours ago, bamelin said:

One of the things we are debating about bringing, we have one of those beach tent protection thingys --- our cruises have multiple beach days.  The beach tent thing is smallish but will still take up space in luggage.

@mommyzI need to get him sunglasses too but I'm worried he'll just tear them off and throw away when I'm not looking lol.

I usually try to get them from the dollar store.  We rarely come back with them lol.  I think someone mentioned it already but i always grabbed a few of those mini boxes of cereal from breakfast for a snack i didn't have to pack from home.

If you don't have one already, I suggest a toddler harness.

Yes, you will get snide comments about your kid not being a dog, but when your hands are full and the kid makes a break for it in an airport, a busy street or crowded deck, it is good to know that he can't get too far. If someone is too obnoxious about the harness, question them on what their interest is in your child being loose and  easy to snatch.

It will also give the independent minded toddler the feeling that he  is on his own  while you still have a firm grip on him.

• Like 1