Trunk Bay vs Magens and ferry instructions

Sistersinlaw

We are trying to pick between Trunk Bay and Magens Bay for our stop next week.  We are in port from 8am to 5pm.  

I've picked through lots of posts, trying to decide, can anyone confirm what I've pulled together?

My understanding: Trunk Bay - ultimate gorgeous beach, but can be rough. Has snorkeling trail. To get there:

1. Take taxi to Red Hook - cost? duration?

2. Buy return ferry tickets - take ferry - cost? duration?

3. Take Taxi to Trunk Bay - cost? duration?

4. Depart Trunk Bay to ensure you get ferry 2 hours before ship departure.

Ferries run every hour on the hour.

Magens Bay is a taxi ride away from the port, beautiful beach, but not as spectacular as Trunk - very calm. Nothing special for snorkeling.

Cost? Duration of taxi?

Thanks for any recommendations and confirmations of my info so far.

19 hours ago, Sistersinlaw said:

We are trying to pick between Trunk Bay and Magens Bay for our stop next week.  We are in port from 8am to 5pm.  

I've picked through lots of posts, trying to decide, can anyone confirm what I've pulled together?

My understanding: Trunk Bay - ultimate gorgeous beach, but can be rough. Has snorkeling trail. To get there:

1. Take taxi to Red Hook - cost? duration?

2. Buy return ferry tickets - take ferry - cost? duration?

3. Take Taxi to Trunk Bay - cost? duration?

4. Depart Trunk Bay to ensure you get ferry 2 hours before ship departure.

Ferries run every hour on the hour.

Magens Bay is a taxi ride away from the port, beautiful beach, but not as spectacular as Trunk - very calm. Nothing special for snorkeling.

Cost? Duration of taxi?

Thanks for any recommendations and confirmations of my info so far.

Yes there are several threads detailing the costs and time, you can figure ~1.5 + hours more to go to Trunk. Getting a ferry from Cruz 2 hours before your ship sails is probably the minimum, especially if returning to Crown. And for snorkeling you’d want to consider the East End beaches of STT (unless you have a dedicated driver or a car to get to better snorkel spots on STJ). 

Cost to get to Trunk from Havensight (WICO) = ~$48.50/pp round trip ($10/pp, 20 - 25 min taxi to Red Hook, $8.25/pp, 20 min ferry to Cruz, $6/pp taxi to Trunk. Add $2 from Crown. You can opt for an island tour for another ~$25/pp which includes the fare to Trunk...

I’m guessing Magens is $8 - $10/pp and 20 minutes...

Both beaches are beautiful. Trunk usually get the nod between the two, but is it worth the extra time and cost? The taxi and ferry are part of the experience, especially on a nice day, and adding the island tour makes your first visit to STJ even more memorable (~$68/pp total cost with the tour). Enjoy your day whatever you choose!

Edited by blue_water

Another option for anyone considering a day trip to STJ to enjoy a private, personalized tour with time at a beach like Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay, but also a driver to get you to a better snorkeling spot like Waterlemon Cay, is with Star Fish Tours & Taxi. For $400 they provide a driver with private transportation (and drinks!) for 1 - 8 people for 4 hours. Each additional person is $50, and each additional hour is $100. They will customize the tour to your interests.

Nice, inexpensive option when sharing the cost to experience what STJ has to offer with your own personal driver!

https://www.stjohnislandtours.com/#4hourtour

We have gone to St John frequently while stopping in St Thomas on a cruise.  With your time in port being 8 to 5, I would reconsider.  You would need to be off the ship at 8 to get a cab to get to Red Hook for the 9 AM ferry.  If you miss that, the next one is not until 10 AM.  With the ship leaving at 5, you would need to be on the 3 PM ferry back to Red Hook.  Taxi between the port and Red Hook is approx $10 pp, so that is $40 round trip.  The ferry is approx $14 pp round trip and taxi to Trunk Bay is another$10 pp.  so transportation for the day is approx $90 plus there is a small entrance fee to Trunk Bay.  

We vacation on St John annually and it is our favorite island in all of the Caribbean.  2/3 of it is National Park so it’s beauty is unrivaled.  I feel your day is too short to really appreciate the island.  I have been on a cruise that provided transportation directly from the cruise pier to St John as a shore excursion.  It was priced reasonably, cheaper than we could have done it on our own.  Check out what your ship offers as a shore excursion tonSt John.

Cruising is a great way to experience several places quickly, and inexpensively. But these are all quick visits, and with 9 hours in port you have plenty of time to enjoy STJ if you want that. 5 hours on the island gives you time to enjoy a beach as well as Cruz Bay or an island tour...