Baltic, Iceland, Norway and the U.K.on a cruise

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

What is the itinerary for that one?

We'll be going Dutch on the Zuiderdam to Bonaire , Curacao , Aruba , Dominican Republic and Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador ) . It leaves on the 10th and we return on the 20th in time for Christmas . 

Growing up in the 50's and 60's we remember the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall being erected and never thought that we would visit Russia or Germany . My wife's parents met in Germany and her mother's twin brother died there during the war and is buried in Arlington . On our last visit there we were with a group tour with an American guide .

Video

On this trip we had a German driver and met our German guide in Berlin . We will share the best from both trips .

DSC08001%203_zpsntg9vynf.jpg

View on the ship from 2016

IMG_1375%20Stitch-001_zps7iceuukk.jpg

View from the ship 2019

IMG_3370%202_zpsfsnbxgc1.jpg

Instead of the 3 hour bus ride , Frank our driver , got us there in 2-1/2 hours in a comfortable mini van where we met Markus , our guide .

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We'll be going Dutch on the Zuiderdam to Bonaire , Curacao , Aruba , Dominican Republic and Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador ) . It leaves on the 10th and we return on the 20th in time for Christmas . 

Cool, I want to do the ABC islands. it may be September 2021.

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

This season is the best time for us to go with very good prices from Ft. Lauderdale . September is our peak hurricane season .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

8 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

15 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

This season is the best time for us to go very good prices from Ft. Lauderdale . September is our peak hurricane season .

That is why it is only pencilled in, we are looking at possibly moving it back to late October/ early November instead.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

That is why it is only pencilled in, we are looking at possibly moving it back to late October/ early November instead.

September and October are the peak hurricane season . November things start to cool a bit and the ships migrate back to South Florida . With a lot of ships in town the prices go down and upgrades are offered to fill the ships . I just checked on or cruise and interiors are $600 , oceanview 630 balconies are 850 and a Signature Suite is 1440 USD .

4 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

September and October are the peak hurricane season . November things start to cool a bit and the ships migrate back to South Florida . With a lot of ships in town the prices go down and upgrades are offered to fill the ships . I just checked on or cruise and interiors are $600 , oceanview 630 balconies are 850 and a Signature Suite is 1440 USD .

wow, great prices. One issue I have is I want to do a tour in the central east states , the last one runs in September (for 2020) they do not have 2021 dates out as yet. Plans are still very flexible, we may even go to Africa instead.

52 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

wow, great prices. One issue I have is I want to do a tour in the central east states , the last one runs in September (for 2020) they do not have 2021 dates out as yet. Plans are still very flexible, we may even go to Africa instead.

Have you considered a Fall foliage tour ? We used to rent condo in the Smokey Mountains or in New Hampshire to beat the Florida heat .

52 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Have you considered a Fall foliage tour ? We used to rent condo in the Smokey Mountains or in New Hampshire to beat the Florida heat .

We have done that, it was wonderful, we like a tour that is called historic trails and does a lot of civil war stuff along with the blue ridge mountains. We also want to spend more time in Washington (DC) itself

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have done that, it was wonderful, we like a tour that is called historic trails and does a lot of civil war stuff along with the blue ridge mountains.

We used to do things like that a lot since we home schooled our kids until high school . They all like to travel and we would always find Museums and other educational things to do where ever we went . 

IMG_1663_zpsl5tsdvn5.jpg

IMG_1671_zpswp6o60ht.jpg

I didn't know why they built the Berlin Wall as a kid but I do remember the guy jumping the fence to escape

berlin-wall-fall-25th-anniversary_zpsmnr

The East German government claimed that the Wall was an "anti-fascist protective rampart" (German"antifaschistischer Schutzwall") intended to dissuade aggression from the West.[58]   Wikipedia

If the wall was to protect and detain people for their own good , why were so many people willing to die to escape ? Should't people be dying to get in instead of dying to get out ? 

Checkpoint Charlie seemed ominous when we first visited there in 2006

Europe06006.jpg

But now it's more a place to get a burger or party

IMG_1695_zpskidls1iz.jpg

IMG_1685_zps8ukgw1b6.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

A Tombak alloy Jesus .

IMG_1403_zpszvhksgui.jpg

DSC07970%202_zpssa5zpe6c.jpg

We were told by Markus to be on the lookout for Spargel  and the Ampelmännchen

IMG_3516%202_zpsep7bgm1a.jpg

The East Berlin little traffic men

IMG_3505%203_zpsnswxf8aa.jpg

IMG_3535%202_zpsued1kjya.jpg

...can't say the little man doesn't have varied taste in hats. I don't remember these from my early aughts visit to Berlin but so much was still being rebuilt or torn down in the eastern side of the city back then. But then I just realized I'm a scofflaw when it comes to paying heed to these signs....if the road is all clear, I just go. 🙄 shhhhh