Single Cabin on Royal Clipper

scotinlondon

I recently discovered that Royal Clipper has one single cabin. Never realised that before. It does mean I have booked a cruise at the lowest per person rate without any single supplement or having to pay the guaranteed single rate. Plus it was eligible for an early booking discount as well.

And to anyone booked on the 18th July cruise out of Trieste - Hi!

Regards,

Stuart

I have cruised on Royal Clipper as a solo but never knew they had a single room, I was in the Caribbean and they offer no single supplement on those so no problem.  Is it smaller than the regular cabins or just that they designated one cabin for a solo?

As far as I can tell from looking at an old deck plan and comparing it with the latest one, it is a cabin that was not sold in the past. Or maybe it was originally storage space? You will see it marked with an S on the deck plan - cabin number 232. I am guessing it is roughly the same size as the other inside cabins.

As regards single supplements. All cruises sold in the UK have, I think, a 50% supplement for categories 2-6, 100% for other categories. There is also a guaranteed single price which is slightly less than a category 6 with supplement. Are you absolutely sure you did not pay more than the per person rate based on 2 sharing? 

All the best.

I have sailed on Royal Clipper once and Star Flyer 2 times and another booked for February and all had no single supplement and all were in the Caribbean. Maybe this is a US "thing" and not available in the UK.  Certainly makes a difference and one reason I am loyal to Star Clipper.

Wow! I am really amazed! It makes me realise that Star Clippers are absolutely ripping off their UK customers. Unless there is something I am missing. Just read the terms and conditions in their latest brochure and it confirms the pricing structure I outlined. Are you absolutely sure the price you paid didn’t already include a single supplement. It wouldn’t mention a supplement separately, just the final price.

Would  you mind letting me know the price of your upcoming cruise and I can compare it with a brochure price in the UK?

I am on star Flyer from St. Maarten on February 15, 2020 for 7 days treasure Islands, made final payment today and total with deposit was $1,631.80 usd.  On their website here in US they offer no single supplement to Caribbean and some in Mediterranean.  see if you can pull this up https://www.starclippers.com/us-dom/specials.html

I was on Star Clipper last April on one of the sailings with no solo supplement. It's not part of their regular pricing structure - it was a special that only applied to certain dates. Definitely the same price as the per person rate for two in a room at the time that I booked. There were a lot of solo passengers on the cruise.

agree it is not part of their usual pricing structure but I have used it for 2018, 2019, and now 2020.  Since I enjoy the Caribbean that suits me fine, I hope they continue the practice and if they do I will do one or two cruises a year with them, what cruise were you on last April, I was on Royal Clipper the last trip before they moved to Europe. 

Can’t see the specials. Just get a UK page with Sterling prices. It’s nearly 30 years since I first sailed on the Flyer and I have never been offered any specials like that. I will definitely be letting StarClippers know what I think! Will get back to you on this thread

In the meantime do enjoy your Flyer cruise elklemi.

Recently looked into VPNs and created one with Norton 360. The internet thinks my computer is in the States. So........

Looked at the specials page. Utterly unlike anything available in the UK. We don’t have ANY specials!

Now really angry with Star Clippers. Sent them a very polite email simply asking them to comment on this disparity. Will wait and see if I hear back.

4 hours ago, elklemi said:

agree it is not part of their usual pricing structure but I have used it for 2018, 2019, and now 2020.  Since I enjoy the Caribbean that suits me fine, I hope they continue the practice and if they do I will do one or two cruises a year with them, what cruise were you on last April, I was on Royal Clipper the last trip before they moved to Europe. 

I was on Star Clipper round trip out of Phuket - Southern Phuket Island. They have the no-solo-supplement on that and other Phuket itineraries now too. It seems like there are almost always no solo supplement offers on the specials page. 

32 minutes ago, scotinlondon said:

Recently looked into VPNs and created one with Norton 360. The internet thinks my computer is in the States. So........

Looked at the specials page. Utterly unlike anything available in the UK. We don’t have ANY specials!

Now really angry with Star Clippers. Sent them a very polite email simply asking them to comment on this disparity. Will wait and see if I hear back.

Last year at some point my browser would only pull up the UK site even though I'm in the US and I noticed it doesn't have a specials page. 

I thought the point of the Internet was to create a world wide community of free speech and equal opportunity - forgive the pomposity for a moment 😀.

Particularly for us cruisers we are unable to access even the same web pages or buy the same products at the same price - allowing for exchange rates of course.

If I want to book a hotel room, buy a rail ticket, goods from Amazon, I can get them for the same price regardless of where I live. I often buy US politics books from Amazon US and they don’t charge me more depending on where I live. I will still have to pay extra P&P of course. But the price of the hotel room or rail ticket will always be the same. I will pay in local currency converted to GBP.

So why can’t I do this with cruises? And at least be allowed to see US pages - and gasp open mouthed at the treats denied me!!!  😎😎😎

Won’t stop me recreating one of my lifetime memories of the Star Flyer dropping it’s mooring of Saint Marteen and falling into the wind around midnight. The sudden silence apart from flapping sails and water breaking is one of life’s great experiences.