Best car rentals experiences in Hawaii? Pls help

Cruiznuts

Hi group. 

Pls help we w find quick pick up and drop off car rentals for our various ports of call w POA ...

my goal is to avoid long lines eating into our precious port time. 

Does anyone have experience w agencies that are speedy, even if I have sign up for their loyalty programs. 

Many thx!,,, 

We rented from Enterprise at Honolulu airport and returned near pier prior to embarkation. Also rented from Alamo in Kauai.

They had a shuttle that picked up and dropped off at port and all the other rental companies appeared to as well. Both were quick and easy, except the drop off in Honolulu was a little tricky to find - glad we called for directions! POA was very nice - enjoy your cruise!

I don't know that anyone can guarantee or foresee "quick pick up and drop off" as it's entirely dependent on how busy any given location is on the day. The major car rental companies run shuttles to/from the port when there are rentals with them. 

We use Discount Hawaii Car Rentals for both cruises and land vacations in Hawaii.  They are a local car rental consolidator - i.e. They search all the major car rental companies for the best prices in real time.  You can book and don't have to pay until you pick up the car.  You can also cancel at any time and re-book if you see that the price has dropped.  We've used them for years and have never had any problems with them.  If you go to their site, they have different locations for pick up on the different islands - just pick the "cruise passenger" option for the ports you want a rental.  

Edited by ell52
typo
  • Like 2

We just got off the boat yesterday. We used Avis as my father in law is  Avis preferred. On Maui and Kauai there was a separate check in for preferred, however on Kauai the guy in front of us did not have a pre-made res so we had to wait a long time even though we could see our keys right there to pick up. So you just never know.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Since a large number of passengers are likely to all disembark from cruise ships soon after they get into port, it's hard to have a quick turnaround time on car rentals in the ports.    Remember it's Hawaii, so 'Hang Loose', because our experience in many visits to Hawaii is that many businesses operate on "Island Time".    I doubt if any one agency will be noticeably and consistently better than another.    We usually use Costco to reserve our cars - low cost, reliable, 2nd driver free, can cancel and rebook if prices drop after your initial reservation.    

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 10:17 PM, ell52 said:

I don't know that anyone can guarantee or foresee "quick pick up and drop off" as it's entirely dependent on how busy any given location is on the day.

Depending on your status with a rental company you are provided perks such as quick pick up and drop off. I travel a lot for work and am at Avis' top loyalty tier-- my car is usually waiting up front with the keys in it with a manager waiting for me and I get upgraded to the best car on the lot automatically. When I return it I can do so without filling it with gas and am only charged the actual going rate of fuel (instead of the markup rental companies charge). If I need to be dropped off at the terminal/ship an Avis employee drives me in the car we are dropping off (so we don't have to take luggage out)-- no shuttles. I get to skip any and every line there is regardless of how busy the location is.  

This obviously isn't the case for everyone but to answer your question thats how some people are provided these perks. It also doesn't work everywhere-- I get these benefits when I rent at the Avis airport location in Maui for example, but I don't get the same pick up/drop off benefits renting from a smaller location like the one near Kapalua airport because they don't have the staff to do it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruiznuts said:

Also booked some of our cars thru Discount Hawaii Car Rentals - they had the best price and loved their choices for pick up locations.

Remember to check back on the Discount Hawaii site from time to time as the prices often drop closer to the date of travel. You can book, cancel, and re-book as many times as you like. We usually book at a price we can live with, then check back later. We've had substantial price drops - not always, but worth a check. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 2:31 PM, ell52 said:

Remember to check back on the Discount Hawaii site from time to time as the prices often drop closer to the date of travel. You can book, cancel, and re-book as many times as you like. We usually book at a price we can live with, then check back later. We've had substantial price drops - not always, but worth a check. 

Thanks for being so helpful. I will check back!

Cruise critic folksare the best! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Costco has the best prices. There's always a shuttle or a short wait for a shuttle at the dock. The only time I would not use Alamo is in Honolulu as it is a loooooonnnnng wait. Last time an hour. Better to book Budget at the International Market Place.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Always call the local office of whatever your agency of choice is to confirm they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal.   Also confirm where they are.  We have seen people turned away several times from the shuttles because they booked with a different office.  Once a lady had to almost be physically removed from he shuttle - the shuttle was from the airport office and she reserved her car at the Waikik office i 

Don't assume that because they had one last time, they will still offer it the next time (been there, done that) 

Aloha!