First Time on Norwegian (Sun) Question

Rlaubertsr

We are taking a short (4 day) cruise on Norwegian Sun.  This is our first trip on this cruise line, we have been on Carnival and Royal.  I have heard some stories about pre registering for shows and availablility of water and soda.  Can anyone provide some recent experience.  Wife requires a lot of water and I like ice water over adult drinks.  I also like to have a soda a day.   Is ice water available free?  How expensive are sodas?
As for the shows, do you have to register ahead of time?  I am handicap and require a scooter (bad back).  Is the ship handicap accessible in general?  Thanks.

Oh if you are sailing out of Cape Canaveral on Nov 14th, let me know, would love to get together.

39 minutes ago, Rlaubertsr said:

We are taking a short (4 day) cruise on Norwegian Sun.  This is our first trip on this cruise line, we have been on Carnival and Royal.  I have heard some stories about pre registering for shows and availablility of water and soda.  Can anyone provide some recent experience.  Wife requires a lot of water and I like ice water over adult drinks.  I also like to have a soda a day.   Is ice water available free?  How expensive are sodas?
As for the shows, do you have to register ahead of time?  I am handicap and require a scooter (bad back).  Is the ship handicap accessible in general?  Thanks.

Ship is handicap accessible, in general. 

No show reservations required. Reservations are only required for megaships which is not the Sun. (This is the same for RCL Quantum and Oasis class ships). It is first come first serve for shows on the sun. There are designated handicap seating in the theater. 

No one charges for ice water. You can get a glass at any restaurant, bar or buffet self serve. 

Sodas are around $3.60 ($3 + 20% gratuity). 

The Sun is a great ship. We try to take one of the short cruises every year (we were actually booked on the Sun cruise that got cancelled by the hurricane). Enjoy!

I will be on the same cruise.  This will be my second on NCL and first on the Sun.  When I was on the Bliss in January we were able to make the show reservations ahead of time online, which I'm glad since they were booked always.  There has not been that option for this ship though.  I will try to make reservations as soon as I get on the ship if they are allowed.   

As for water/soda, you can get ice water at any bar or restaurant no problem.  They do sell bottled water but it is very expensive per bottle.  You are able to order water ahead of time online that will be in your room when you get there.  It is discounted some when you do it this way.  I did it on the Bliss.  On this cruise we have the Premium Plus beverage package which includes bottled water though.  I believe I saw on another post that soda was in the $4-5 range.  

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Ship is handicap accessible, in general. 

No show reservations required. Reservations are only required for megaships which is not the Sun. (This is the same for RCL Quantum and Oasis class ships). It is first come first serve for shows on the sun. There are designated handicap seating in the theater. 

No one charges for ice water. You can get a glass at any restaurant, bar or buffet self serve. 

Sodas are around $3.60 ($3 + 20% gratuity). 

The Sun is a great ship. We try to take one of the short cruises every year (we were actually booked on the Sun cruise that got cancelled by the hurricane). Enjoy!

Thanks for that info on the shows.  I have only been on the larger ships and had to make reservations.  Now I know why I haven't been able to for this cruise.

The Sun did not have reservations for the shows.  Smaller ship and the theaters were never full.  
The ship is accessible (hopefully you reserved an accessible cabin).  
The charges for bottled water on the ship are ridiculous.  You can take a reusable Yeti-type cup with lid and refill with ice and water (or tea or lemonade for that matter) at the beverage stations in the buffet venues and water is available at the bars too if they’re not too busy.  
Enjoy your cruise!  My 2nd cruise on the Sun is booked for January. 

Well tomorrow is the day!  Thank you all for the information.  We are in 6222.  If you want to get together or play any games.  We will have Fasttrack with us (Adult version of Sorry).  Would love to meet up if you have the time.

Enjoy!  The Sun is great ship, enjoy your trip!

Buy the bottled water package if you want lots of water in your room and you don't like tapwater (I drink it and it's fine).  Actually NCL recently switched to "boxed" water in paper-type bottles, not sure if that made it to the Sun yet. 

You can have room service deliver a pitcher of ice water as well, do it with the continental breakfast and there will not be the $7.95 room service charge.  Not sure if they'd charge just for a pitcher delivery at other times of the day.