Direct flight - Zurich to Venice?

lamb616

we will be spending a week in switzerland before heading to Venice for our cruise.   When I search the travel sites, the only option that comes up is Swiss Air.  I know there may be smaller, regional airlines that operate this route that don't show up on the big travel websites, but I cannot find any.  Does anyone know of any?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, lamb616 said:

we will be spending a week in switzerland before heading to Venice for our cruise.   When I search the travel sites, the only option that comes up is Swiss Air.  I know there may be smaller, regional airlines that operate this route that don't show up on the big travel websites, but I cannot find any.  Does anyone know of any?

You don't mention what time of year you are traveling, which might possibly be a factor; if it is not May-September, the chances of a direct flight on another airline or charter are less likely as this would be the time, if ever, for routes to be added. It's likely you'd find direct flights from Zurich to Milan, Rome, but to get to most other Italian cities would require an additional flight from these main hubs. Not enough demand, or profit for the type of direct flight you seek, especially with such an incredible rail network running through Switzerland (and it's an incredibly scenic journey!!) and Italy. 

Did you check Lufthansa? Alitalia? Don't overlook checking the airline websites directly, especially when seeking a specific type of route, the fare might even be exactly the same or better than what's on booking sites and I wouldn't have believed it if a pilot for a legacy domestic carrier hadn't told me to do this (and it wasn't to look at their carrier's site!) I think we've all become accustomed to automatically hitting the sites that check all the airline fares when it isn't always the best strategy. In some cases, it might be best to pinpoint the search and you may be pleasantly surprised. 

I flew from Paris to Berlin on one of their smaller jets but then I was heading to Berlin. My only thinking is that Lufthansa seems to go everywhere but, it is Switzerland so with Swissair, they likely have most of the gates at each of the airports leaving few available gates for competitors. You never know. If it works, you're all set and if it doesn't, at least you know you covered all the bases. 

Good luck and enjoy your week in Switzerland, it's spectacular. And Venice too, hopefully they recover well - they always do! :)