Cruise Critic Community
DarF

Best Day for a Special Dinner?

Hello all,

First timer here.  🙂

We are going on a Celebrity Cruise and plan to do the Le Petite Chef dinner one night (many courses, animated interaction, a big deal for us).  Which night do you recommend we plan something like this? We have a little one so we will do dinner on the earlier side like 6:30.

Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 departure

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 depart port at 8 pm (not a good night for special dinner)

Day 4 depart port at 4 pm

Day 5 depart port at 2 pm

Day 6 at sea

Day 7 at sea

Day 8 arrive at home port

I'm thinking maybe Day 6 to break up the two days at sea??

Let me know what you experienced types think,

Thanks!

Day 2 and day 6 will likely be the elegant chic nights, which usually means a bit nicer menu in the MDR. If it was me, I'd pick day 4 or 5

Since your post is cruise line specific, it may be moved to the Celebrity forum. If you have other questions about the ship, here's a link to X's forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

Edited by mom says

Just to clarify, Celebrity has moved away from any formal night several years ago - they now refer to it simply as "chic", by which any dress from casual and up is completely acceptable. 

Any night would be fine in La Petit Chef, but if you want to avoid any time constraints with port days I would think nights 2 or 6 as you indicate would be good choices.  Days 4 and 5 would work as well, so plenty of good choices.  You will not miss anything special IMO on any nights in the MDR and La Petite Chef is so unique that it is in a presentation class by itself.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Knowing your ports might make this a bit easier but I would lean toward 3, 4 or 5.

1 hour ago, jdvmd said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Knowing your ports might make this a bit easier but I would lean toward 3, 4 or 5.

OP indicates the port departure times and has already determined that day 3 is no good as they are in port until 8:00 PM.  The other port days 4 & 5 are 4:00 PM and 2:00 PM departures respectively.  The rest are sea days, which is why I thought 2, 4, 5 or 6 would work, which agrees as well with your 4 & 5 suggestions. 🙂

If you leave at 8 p.m. everyone will need to be onboard by 7-ish anyway. OP has never been on a cruise so........

21 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

If you leave at 8 p.m. everyone will need to be onboard by 7-ish anyway. OP has never been on a cruise so........

The OP also noted that they have a young child and will want to dine early, so...

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

The OP also noted that they have a young child and will want to dine early, so...

Earliest time for doing Le Petit Chef is 6:30 p.m.

7 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Earliest time for doing Le Petit Chef is 6:30 p.m.

Which fits with the time the OP indicates they would plan to dine.

33 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

More like 7:30.  But that would be too late that night to fit with their dining plans, so.....

I believe they have special deals for specialty like rccl has for first two nights , so they are crowded, any other night should be fine , also planning to try that restaurant in our cruise in a few months . 

Celebrity does that in the same manner as RCI as you indicate, but once on board you can adjust the schedule as needed, depending on plan purchased, to another night if desired.  We typically eat the majority of our meals on both lines in the specialty restaurants and in our experience, the restaurants only hold a certain number of people seated by reservation - and are staffed to accommodate that - and the crowd levels are therefore limited to that number on any given night.  So although some nights are less crowded than others, it doesn't typically affect the service level. 🙂

But to your point, the first night can be chaotic in any restaurant on board which can have an impact on service.

Not specific to your line but the res I most wanted I couldn't get, other than quite late, on our one at sea day.  I thought it would be nice to just chill all day and then 'doll up' a bit for that meal.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Not specific to your line but the res I most wanted I couldn't get, other than quite late, on our one at sea day.  I thought it would be nice to just chill all day and then 'doll up' a bit for that meal.

That probably is the result of that being the only sea day, with many passengers wanting to take advantage of the specialty restaurants then, as there would be no conflict with timing on a port of call and a nice dinner at sea after a relaxing day on board.  In other words you were far from alone in your plans on how to spend that only day at sea.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That probably is the result of that being the only sea day, with many passengers wanting to take advantage of the specialty restaurants then, as there would be no conflict with timing on a port of call and a nice dinner at sea after a relaxing day on board.  In other words you were far from alone in your plans on how to spend that only day at sea.

Oh, totally.  I just picked the following night.  No biggie.

If you like the lobster dinners in the MDR you may want to omit day 6 which is often the lobster night. Day 7 is in conflict with packing chores. There are usually discounts on Day 1, although that is often the prime rib night in the MDR.