NSW and QLD Fires

I'm just watching the morning TV coverage of the horrific fires in NSW and QLD. I hope any of our posters in these areas are safe and that their properties are as well. Hopefully the fire areas will receive some much needed rain very soon. It seems incredible that we are only in the last month of spring and not in the middle of summer with the number of large fires and the destruction they cause. Good luck to all in these areas.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Fires 30 minutes drive from us,,lots of smoke around,,not pleasant but at least we are safe.

Cheers Carole

I know people who have been evacuated, with their dogs, twice this season from Peregian on the Sunshine Coast.  

It is hard to believe how widespread the current bushfires are in NSW and Queensland, in Spring.  Now I see Perth has bushfires.  In January, we holidayed south of Hobart, in Tasmania, which had very bad bushfires.  I hope this doesn't become the new norm.  We are not used to bushfires in Queensland. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Thoughts are with all at peril.

Stay safe.

As a sign of how big this event is , today at Queenstown, NZ, smoke from the Australian fires filled  the air and was so thick that cars had to drive with headlights on at midday .Dust carried by the strong winds also covered cars and had to be hosed off . It is predicted that the path the smoke is taking will cover all of NZ in the next few days.

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Thoughts are with all at peril.

Stay safe.

As a sign of how big this event is , today at Queenstown, NZ, smoke from the Australian fires filled  the air and was so thick that cars had to drive with headlights on at midday .Dust carried by the strong winds also covered cars and had to be hosed off . It is predicted that the path the smoke is taking will cover all of NZ in the next few days.

Thanks David.  I heard Lord Howe Island had thick smoke from the bushfires, but not NZ.

22 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Fires 30 minutes drive from us,,lots of smoke around,,not pleasant but at least we are safe.

Cheers Carole

Glad to hear Carole. Hope that continues. The smoke isn't good either, particularly for those with asthma and other respiratory conditions.

Leigh

5 minutes ago, Jakdgr said:

Today Perth is 40C with strong winds - so far a fire in Gnangara Estate - hope not started by fire bugs😡 Hope fellow cruisers east coast safe

Whereas the south east of the country has been experiencing cold and wet conditions. What a country we live in!

Leigh

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Glad to hear Carole. Hope that continues. The smoke isn't good either, particularly for those with asthma and other respiratory conditions.

Leigh

Yes noticed some people wearing masks out today the wind is changing direction now and Caloundra is clearing 

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Some of the videos of the fires have been horrific. A couple of fire crews videoed their drive in to the zones they were to operate in and it was scary, fire in all directions. They are very brave people.

My husband had been a volunteer firefighter for 35 years before retiring a couple of years ago. He went to fires all over Victoria and twice into NSW, at Lithgow and in the Sutherland Shire. I know every time he went to a fire, our children and I were concerned for his and his crew’s welfare. It is very scary sitting at home waiting to hear all is well. Of course all the emergency service personnel are fantastic and deserve all the praise they receive. 

Leigh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

My husband had been a volunteer firefighter for 35 years before retiring a couple of years ago. He went to fires all over Victoria and twice into NSW, at Lithgow and in the Sutherland Shire. I know every time he went to a fire, our children and I were concerned for his and his crew’s welfare. It is very scary sitting at home waiting to hear all is well. Of course all the emergency service personnel are fantastic and deserve all the praise they receive. 

Leigh

Admire the work the Vollies do - we are in the hills and rely on them too when we have had fires - neighbour was also one for 30 years - can’t imagine how families feel seeing their families go to help everyone

• Like 2

It is very sad to see and hear about the fires and lose of lives and peoples homes, as well as the suffering of wildlife and other animals.

Yes Australia is a large country and one of extremes of weather and natural disasters. 

Hopefully there will be a lot of assistance for people to recover as best they can.

Albeit the trauma may linger for years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I have always admired Volunteer firefighters, who are a special breed of people to be treasured by our country.  We are fortunate to have such selfless people.  I can understand families being worried for their safety. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

I don’t know how much firefighters get paid but I am sure they earn every last cent of it during this horrific time.

Probably the majority of firefighters attending the current NSW and QLD fires will be not paid a cent as they are volunteers. 

Leigh