Terrifying Taxi Ride

Makebelieve

Last year we took a taxi from Havensight port to Megan's Bay and the taxi ride was terrifying.  I realize that many taxi drivers on the islands drive like madmen, but the hills and curves added to the terror.  Would the ride to Coki or Sapphire Beach be any better road conditions?  Or is there another beach suggestion?

Thanks for any information!

From what I recall, the drive is still terrifying to Coki beach, and all over St. Thomas for that matter, for the same reasons that you describe. 

When we stay on the island we drive all over and never feel unsafe, although there are definitely some steeper and curvier roads. I can understand how riding in an open-sided safari taxi is a more “exhilarating“ experience.

I’d suggest grabbing a “private” taxi and have the driver take the southeast route (Rt 30, 32) to Sapphire Beach. There are a couple smaller hills but nothing to be concerned about. I suggest Sapphire because you’ve enjoyed Magens, and Sapphire is gorgeous in its own right and much less congested than Coki or Secret Harbor. You could also take a safari taxi, but I believe it would take Rt 38 and that is a much hillier route...

https://virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/st-thomas-land-activities/st-thomas-island-road-map/

4 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

The last time I was in a taxi on St Thomas, the guy was driving like a maniac. I looked over to see how fast he was going. He had a piece of cardboard taped over the speedometer. 😆

That's hilarious, I love that!

First time I went to Magens I never thought we were going to get to the bottom of the mountain. I was like WTH!! let me outta this thing.

I thought going up the mountain was bad coming down and going up the backside is worse. 

The open air(safari🙃) taxi's on the way back have to give it hell up the backside of the mountain, I highly recommend holding on for dear life, because you are.😆

Another thing God forbid there be an empty seat on one of those taxis, every time I'm on one it's packed from side to side front to back, I sit on the end, I'm bailin if that buggy starts rollin backwards.

I'm on to that trick, Todd exit stage right!! Later

Edited by TTEllis

From Havensight, Sapphire Beach is about the same riding time as Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) due to the traffic congestion through CA. Sapphire is also a much nicer beach and the south route not a bad ride at all.

Sapphire webcam is back up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EJDrwUY4EzU&app=desktop