Launch of Smeralda

Bobbingbob

Yeah crew are all in hotels undergoing training. Some have been there a long time (pre-delay) and some have finally arrived (post delay). Although they are happy to be in a hotel with more room and better food they are annoyed with the delays. Some of them had a 4month vacation rather than usual 2months. That's a lot of money to lose. Then once they are in Finland they are on base pay only. No incentives and no tips. So am 8month contract could start with 3month of low pay. They are really struggling. But the hours are much more reasonable with plenty of time off.

I believe another 3weeks and they leave the hotel and start staying onboard. I imagine that will tie in with another sea trial.

Rejoice : Smeralda, Fascinosa and Luminosa are in Savona today :-

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:8.496/centery:44.313/zoom:15 

Don't uncork the champagne yet, Smeralda is a Ro/Ro ferry :-

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:210984/mmsi:247343200/imo:9144811/vessel:CRUISE_SMERALDA

Asti Spumanti anyone ? 🙂  In other news, we'll be leaving on a 4 hour drive to Heathrow tonight, to catch the BA 07.35 am flight to Marsailles tomorrow. Joining the Costa Fascinosa for a mini cruise followed by a 17 day cruise leaving Marsailles on the 18th, destination Rio via the Canaries. Hoping for a dry drive to LHR,  Apols for being OT, TTFN.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My ex was in luminosa and my current gf is diadema though she just disembarked. I have friends (crew) in Finland at the moment that give me updates on Smeralda. Everyone knows everyone since you get a new ship every contract and you keep in touch with previous colleagues. So through my gf I know many different crew and I've availed the family and friends free cruise which has crew pass as part of the deal. So I've met many hard working crew and chatted over beer.

Smeralda was officially handed over to costa yesterday 5th November. It is leaving Finland today 6th December on its journey to the Mediterranean. 
It is scheduled to arrive in Barcelona on the 18th December for refuelling and begin 3 days of travel industry reviews in Barcelona on the 18th and arrive in savona on the 20th. It’s first 7 day sailing will leave Savona on the 21st December.

Crew are stating its a very noisy ship. Will be interesting to get passenger reviews soon. It could be the LPG engines are genuinely noisy or it could be crew not used to sleeping in passenger cabins and the general quietness of the ship without passengers on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for up to date info. Brian, thought you must have some insider help! Great to know Smeralda is all set to go.

Bit worrying about the noise issue, though, and really rather surprising. You would imagine new eco tech powered engines would be quieter, wouldn’t you? What do I know?! Will be disappointed however if it does turn out to be a noisier ship.

Hope the first cruisers will be kind enough to post some early reviews as I am sure many of us will be very interested to read them.

Happy Christmas to all or Happy Holidays if you prefer.

Smeralda pricing looks quite good judging by today's promo email :-

https://www.costacruises.co.uk/deals/all-inclusive.html

You see the "all inclusive unlimited drink package" for a limited period for 6 ships inc Smeralda. However, when you select inside cabin, you have a choice between "basic, classic or premium". However "all inclusive drinks" seems to apply to only classic and premium, at an extra cost.

Surely this is the same as the normal basic, classic, package or is there a subtle difference?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, Bobbingbob said:

Thanks all for up to date info. Brian, thought you must have some insider help! Great to know Smeralda is all set to go.

Bit worrying about the noise issue, though, and really rather surprising. You would imagine new eco tech powered engines would be quieter, wouldn’t you? What do I know?! Will be disappointed however if it does turn out to be a noisier ship.

Hope the first cruisers will be kind enough to post some early reviews as I am sure many of us will be very interested to read them.

Happy Christmas to all or Happy Holidays if you prefer.

First cruisers have not left very positive reviews.  Do you have any "insider" knowledge, Brian?  We are sailing in 3 weeks.  Hopefully the kinks are worked out.

Thanks