Personal Care Supplies For World Cruise

SargassoPirate

This may be intuitively obvious for everyone here, but I'm new to world cruises. Up to now, my longest cruise was 49 nights.  In mentally preparing for a world cruise that is still two years off, I was wondering how much toiletries to pack since resupplying along the way may not be feasible.  What I decided to do was use a sharpie and mark every expedible item with a start date when I break out a new one now.  Then, for example, I'll know how long a tube of toothpaste will last. No use over-packing, but at the same time no use running short.

• Like 2

That is a good idea and is one which I also have done.  I am very particular about certain brands of some toiletries and eye drops that I use.  After keeping track for awhile and then projecting what I might need, I then purchased those items.  (The quantity of eye drop bottles and deodorants that I ordered absolutely astonished my drug store manager when I ordered them.)  I then had all of that type of stuff boxed separately from my other luggage and had it shipped to Fort Lauderdale to be embarked on the Amsterdam.  It worked.  I did over-estimate the amount needed, not really surprisingly, and brought the rest home with me.  

• Like 1

This is a good approach.

We did something similar preparing for our first World Cruise as we figured out how many of certain items to bring such as tooth paste, and many other items.  

In addition to all of the normal day-to-day items we also come prepared with a wide range of other items such as over the counter medicine  for a variety of ailments (colds, stomach issues, etc.) and items for cuts/scrapes and other related issues.  Examples include band-aids (a large range of types), and even a heating pad.  

We prefer not to waste valuable time in port hunting down items and prefer bringing the products we are familiar with at home.

We also have a list of a few items which we purchase during our pre-criuse stay that we either can't take on the airplane or prefer not to pack.

Keith

• Like 1

I also travel with a little kit of over the counter meds for headaches, stomach upsets, and minor cuts/scrapes.  It even includes an emergency dental repair kit that I've used on more than one occasion instead of seeking out a dentist in a questionable foreign port.  I check the kit before every trip and restock as necessary.  It always goes in the suitcase first and then I pack around it.  I also carry a plastic container of laundry soap for washing out a few things in the room and/or for the guest laundromat.  I've refined my packing list of standard items over the years, weeding out things I packed but never used.  

The expendibles will be the variable, and by the time the cruise rolls around I should have an idea of how much to pack.

It is also worth looking at the roll call for the preceding years cruise if a similar itinerary to pick up hints in advance. We did a Cunard WC in 2015 and started a spreadsheet with ideas of things to take such as over the counter meds, magnets, pegs, washing lines, ballpoints, over door hangers etc etc.  etc etc . I only wish I could find it again but I can't! 

We did take a mass of stuff "just in case' which fortunately we didn't need but we ended up supplying friends we made along the way with cough sweets, cold remedies etc etc! 

Storage was an interesting issue, so lots of good ideas from past Worldies on the line you choose will be  invaluable, knowing what will fit where. 

Yes, storage will be an issue.  I'm planning on packing a couple of collapsible cloth boxes I think, to fit in odd spots, a hanging toiletry bag with transparent pockets, and probably a hanging shoe holder.

I'm also going to 'time' my items like toothpaste and mouthwash.  Luckily we're leaving from Miami and will be driving in and staying the night before, so will do most of our toiletry shopping locally and not have to fly with it.

May I ask, what pray tell, does the dental repair kit do?  Cement for a crown, for instance?

I don't want to overpack, but I will be carrying every itch creme known to man, plus the usual first-aid items, stomach remedies, laxatives ha ha, etc.  Lots of sunscreen too.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd be interested to know about the dental kit too.

For WC and grand voyages, I've always gone in a day early and stayed in an hotel close to a drugstore, then stocked up on toiletries for which I don't require a particular brand that they might be out of. My friend and I bring a wheeled bag just for these things.  I did the timing the use of my toiletries for the first lengthy cruise, and now have a good idea what my usage rate is.  Except sunscreen--that varies depending on itinerary, and I always seem to over-buy.

For storage, use every space. On most ships, you can store your suitcases under your bed. Use those suitcases to store less-used items and clothing for climates different from the climate in which you're starting.

There never seems to be enough shelf space in the shower for the toiletries for 2 people, so I've taken to bringing a mesh, over-the-side hanging,  compartmentalized, waterproof bag for inside the shower.

I also bring a flat plastic shoe bag that I found at Bed, Bath & Beyond to store shoes under the sofa. This works only if there's a space under the sofa. If your room has a fold-out sofa, that usually does not leave enough space for a bag, so you'll need to check.  I prefer the hanging shoe holder, but if you have a closet with sliding doors, rather than walk-in, this won't work. In theory, it could be hung over the bathroom door, but I've found it generally doesn't fit.

The emergency dental kit contains a small vial of ambesol anestetic, some cement in case you need to reattach a crown, and some material that you can mix up and pack into a tooth as a temporary filling to replace a filling that falls out.

It's not a permanent solution, but will serve as a temporary repair until you can get to a dentist who wears protective gloves and is not using a foot powered drill.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

The emergency dental kit contains a small vial of ambesol anestetic, some cement in case you need to reattach a crown, and some material that you can mix up and pack into a tooth as a temporary filling to replace a filling that falls out.

It's not a permanent solution, but will serve as a temporary repair until you can get to a dentist who wears protective gloves and is not using a foot powered drill.

And where would you get such a kit?  Did you have to construct it yourself, or have your dentist do it?  Sounds like a great idea, I always have a fear of losing a crown.

10 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

And where would you get such a kit?  Did you have to construct it yourself, or have your dentist do it?  Sounds like a great idea, I always have a fear of losing a crown.

Your local drug store may stock one, or you can find them on Amazon.com.  Here is a link to one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Supply-Emergency-Dental-Kit/dp/B001MA316C

I've even used my kit for fellow travelers with a dental emergency.  I've never reattached a crown, but I have repaired a cracked molar when about a quarter of the tooth broke off, and have repaired a couple of fillings that fell out.  It's sure better than an exposed nerve!

Once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Loose crowns can be re-attached using some toothpaste. Works well as a temporary solution until you can visit a dentist.

In terms of storage what we do is we keep one suitcase under the bed with toiletry and other related products that we will not need for awhile.  We do get most items at home except certain liquids and any items prohibit from taking on a fight.  

For those leaving out of Miami there are many places to pick up items particularly in downtown Miami including Publix Grocery Stores, CVS and Walgreens.

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i think I wrote that before: If your cruise goes to Australia, you can easily restock toiletries. Some of them are the same brands as in North America. We also bought Tiger Balm for muscle aches in the small drugstore in Singapore's cruise terminal and supersoft tissues in one of Japan's convenience stores. Japan's convenience stores also have large low cost raincoats. I know our ponchos are too short. Water ran right into our pants and shoes in a tropical downpour. In case of another tropical downpour, I will wear shorts and water shoes.

We drive to Miami which makes it easy to bring enough stuff. Like Keith, we will store extras in a suitcase under the bed, same with the warm clothes for the few areas where we'll need them on our otherwise hot weather world cruise.

It's fun planning ahead, keeps my mind off serious things.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 3:43 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Your local drug store may stock one, or you can find them on Amazon.com.  Here is a link to one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Supply-Emergency-Dental-Kit/dp/B001MA316C

I've even used my kit for fellow travelers with a dental emergency.  I've never reattached a crown, but I have repaired a cracked molar when about a quarter of the tooth broke off, and have repaired a couple of fillings that fell out.  It's sure better than an exposed nerve!

Once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout.

We are planning for our first WC..NEVER even thought about emergency dental kit..Thank you

Did think about emergency sewing kit though, lol...and duct tape and gorilla glue, just in case 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, pocomum said:

We are planning for our first WC..NEVER even thought about emergency dental kit..Thank you

Did think about emergency sewing kit though, lol...and duct tape and gorilla glue, just in case 🙂

If it moves and it's not supposed to - Duct Tape.  If it's supposed to move and doesn't, WD40.  

My little tool kits comes in handy on just about every cruise.  Sewing kit with a couple of buttons, small leatherman tool, small Swiss Army knife with scissors and a cork screw, small vial of Gorilla Glue, duct tape, WD40 pen, eyeglass repair kit, Sharpie pen, and a few other bits and bobs.

• 1 month later...