Boxed lunch to take off ship when touring

MSEm

I read that it is possible to request a boxed lunch to carry off the ship when you are touring.  Where do you place the order?  What is in the boxed lunch?

Thanks for any information.

I have never tried it on Viking.

Depending on where you are it may be illegal to carry food off the ship.  Australia and Chile are two countries with strict regulations that come to mind quickly. Disembarking in Chile, we were very strongly warned and our bags were sniffed before we could even leave the terminal.

• Like 2

We requested a box lunch for our day in Dominica last month. Viking is willing to do this, but depending on the restrictions of that country, they are limited in what they can pack for you. For instance in Dominica - no meat, cheese, fruits, dairy. That left cookies and mixed nuts. No one ever checked our bags  in any of the ports we visited, but I would not want to be checked and have something prohibited on me. 

I asked at guest services, they kindly made the inquiries on restrictions and advised us what they were in advance. 

20 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We requested a box lunch for our day in Dominica last month. Viking is willing to do this, but depending on the restrictions of that country, they are limited in what they can pack for you. For instance in Dominica - no meat, cheese, fruits, dairy. That left cookies and mixed nuts. No one ever checked our bags  in any of the ports we visited, but I would not want to be checked and have something prohibited on me. 

I asked at guest services, they kindly made the inquiries on restrictions and advised us what they were in advance. 

Interesting...   I also had never heard  of this before.   Perhaps it is a fluid situation depending on the country.  We were on Viking in the Caribbean last winter and went to Dominica, but don't recall at all being able to order any box lunches.   Likely policy changes then.

We asked because we had an all day private tour booked, and it was recommended by the owner that we bring something to eat. It was a busy schedule that day. Where we went wasn’t conducive to restaurants or eating establishments, and he actually recommended that we not eat on island. I have no idea of actual Viking policy. I did feel that it wasn’t a common request, and would think it probably isn’t something they really want to get into, but Guest Services were very gracious about our ask.  I don’t think I would ask unless it was a situation such as the one we were in. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Boxed lunches were common back in the 70's & 80's, but most Cruise Lines stopped providing them due to liability from lack of refrigerated storage.

I am pleasantly surprised to here that Viking still offers them. They were excellent on a full day tour where no restaurants were available.

I agree that this is likely to be cruise/port dependent but it was easy to do in Norway. We asked for packed lunches on the two occasions we had hired vehicles (Twizy in Geiranger and Europcar in Lofoten - both companies highly recommended by the way) 

I just called room service late in the afternoon and asked if we could have packed lunches for the following morning. It did not seem any problem to the person who took the order. As I remember the first time I was asked what we would like and I said cheese or ham sandwiches or something similar. In the event we got both as well as chips, fruit and a cookie. The second time I just asked for a packed lunch and was not so specific. In that case we got the fruit and sweet and savoury snacks but no sandwiches - I am not sure if this was an error or it may well have been my fault because I not directly ask for them. What we were given was still more than enough to keep us going until we were back on board!

When I placed the order I was also asked when we wanted them and they were delivered to the room just a little ahead of the time set each morning.

Well done again Viking 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

I agree that this is likely to be cruise/port dependent but it was easy to do in Norway. We asked for packed lunches on the two occasions we had hired vehicles (Twizy in Geiranger and Europcar in Lofoten - both companies highly recommended by the way) 

I just called room service late in the afternoon and asked if we could have packed lunches for the following morning. It did not seem any problem to the person who took the order. As I remember the first time I was asked what we would like and I said cheese or ham sandwiches or something similar. In the event we got both as well as chips, fruit and a cookie. The second time I just asked for a packed lunch and was not so specific. In that case we got the fruit and sweet and savoury snacks but no sandwiches - I am not sure if this was an error or it may well have been my fault because I not directly ask for them. What we were given was still more than enough to keep us going until we were back on board!

When I placed the order I was also asked when we wanted them and they were delivered to the room just a little ahead of the time set each morning.

Well done again Viking 👍

We rented a Twizy on our last visit to Bermuda.  I wonder if it’s the same kind of car. The ones in Bermuda are very tiny with tandem seating and no windows.  The last could be a problem in Norway 😆

6 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

We rented a Twizy on our last visit to Bermuda.  I wonder if it’s the same kind of car. The ones in Bermuda are very tiny with tandem seating and no windows.  The last could be a problem in Norway 😆

Definitely. Though I hear they offer you a blanket. Winter coat, hat and gloves should be on your packing list even in summer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Definitely. Though I hear they offer you a blanket. Winter coat, hat and gloves should be on your packing list even in summer.

I’m already planning for that!  I was one of the few who were warm when it turned suddenly cold on our Grand European last fall!  I hate being cold!  

8 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

I’m already planning for that!  I was one of the few who were warm when it turned suddenly cold on our Grand European last fall!  I hate being cold!  

And definitely needif you are driving --or even taking a tour --up to Mt. Dalsnibba. No matter what the temps are on the quai, it will be cold and windy up there. But so worth the view if it is cloudless enough to see all the back down to the fjord.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Kath,

This is one of the Twizy cars in Geiranger.  No windows.  Reviews indicate a bit of a challenge getting in the back.  

EA045743-837C-4138-9F4A-580BCF15D8BB.jpeg

21 hours ago, LeRenardrouge said:

Kath,

This is one of the Twizy cars in Geiranger.  No windows.  Reviews indicate a bit of a challenge getting in the back.  

EA045743-837C-4138-9F4A-580BCF15D8BB.jpeg

LOL. That’s like the Bermuda ones except they are Bermuda colors. I’m well acquainted with the back seat. There’s a method 😂

On 11/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, photopro2 said:

(Twizy in Geiranger and Europcar in Lofoten - both companies highly recommended by the way) 

Was the driving easy?  Did you also do the included tours?

doing midnight sun in June and beginning to figure out our plans.

thanks for any sugestions

doing midnight sun in June and beginning to figure out our plans.
thanks for any sugestions
I'd really wanted to do the Twizzy in Geiranger, but DW wouldn't have been able to handle the back seat. They are quite tiny.
They also have them in Flåm.
I don't think driving them would necessarily be difficult, but dealing with all the hairpin switchbacks amongst all the busses might be a little nerve wracking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, deec said:

Yes deec, the Norwegians seemed to be very careful and courteous drivers - especially the bus drivers who would hold back to give others space on those switchbacks. We booked our Twizy for 3 hours from 9.30 and drove up to the Mt. Dalsnibba overview. The toll road fee was included with the rental. The Twizy felt very stable and roadworthy but, most of all, was great fun 😊 

When we got back we had our packed lunch (back on topic!!!) by the waterfall in Geiranger then joined up with the 1.30 included tour which was meeting on-shore anyway. The bus tour did cover some of the same ground that we had already traveled (though not so far up the mountain) but also went to some different overviews too so doing both was worthwhile.

Having the packed lunches and rentals in both Geiranger and Leknes (Lofoten) gave us flexibility to adjust our plans last minute to fit with the weather, great in Geiranger and not so great in Lofoten. However the scenery in Lofoten was so spectacular that we were still glad to be able to enjoy it at our own pace and the car was not significantly more expensive than 2 places on most of the optional tours.

The Midnight Sun is a fantastic trip but do take some of your (Michigan) winter clothes, there might be a few times when you will be glad of them 🥶

• Like 1

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

and drove up to the Mt. Dalsnibba overview. The toll road fee was included with the rental. The Twizy felt very stable and roadworthy but, most of all, was great fun 😊 

Loved the ride up to Mt. D and the view back down to the fjord. So many times along the way I would have loved to have been able to stop along the side of the road to take pictures but we took a bus tour up there (with Geeirangerfjord Services, not Viking). DH will not drive on vacation, so it was our only choice. It was cold with a biting wind up there. Even with winter gear we did not spend a lot of time enjoying the view.

image.png.d550c701f63acec686dad78b4cf880be.png

The little white line on the water is the Viking Sea.