From Civitavecchia to Florence for a day trip

jennyumaa

Hi! For our next cruise, our ship will dock at 5am Sunday morning at Civitavecchia. I am thinking of taking part of the family on a day trip to Florence while the rest of the family bring luggage to the hotel. (We booked a Vatican trip the next morning.) Is it doable? What's our best bet regarding transportation arrangements? Thanks!!

I am sorry! I made a typo and didn't know how to remove/edit the post. Trying again:

From Civitavecchia to Florence for a day trip

Hi! For our next cruise, our ship will dock at 5am Sunday morning at Civitavecchia. I am thinking of taking part of the family on a day trip to Florence while the rest of the family bring luggage to the hotel. (We will all stay in Rome for the night as we booked a Vatican trip the next morning.) Is it doable? What's our best bet regarding transportation arrangements? Thanks!!

• CCHelp changed the title to From Civitavecchia to Florence for a day trip

Train to Rome followed by a train to Florence is your best bet.

The earliest you can get to Florence would be between 10 - 11 AM.  Docking at 5 AM does not mean you can get off right away, the first departures probably won't be until about 6:30 or 7.

Therefore, the earliest train connection you could reasonably make would be the 7 AM from Civitavecchia, which gets you to Florence at 10:07 AM after a change in Rome.

It's more likely that the first one you can make is the 7:34, which gets you to Florence at 10:51.

If for some reason you miss that second one, the next connection is the 8:01 arriving at 11:22.

I don't think I would bother if you can't make even that last one.

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Train to Rome followed by a train to Florence is your best bet.

The earliest you can get to Florence would be between 10 - 11 AM.  Docking at 5 AM does not mean you can get off right away, the first departures probably won't be until about 6:30 or 7.

Therefore, the earliest train connection you could reasonably make would be the 7 AM from Civitavecchia, which gets you to Florence at 10:07 AM after a change in Rome.

It's more likely that the first one you can make is the 7:34, which gets you to Florence at 10:51.

If for some reason you miss that second one, the next connection is the 8:01 arriving at 11:22.

I don't think I would bother if you can't make even that last one.

Thank you for the detailed answer! I heard all the tickets should be purchased in advance (cheaper and saves time). If I buy teh 7:34 one, do I have a better chance taking a taxi to the Rome train station, or do the shuttle + bus + train to Rome?

I would not buy the tickets in advance in order to get a lower fare unless you are willing to lose the money you spent on them because these reduced fares are non-changeable and non-refundable.

In other words, if you have a pre-purchased ticket and your ship is late into port, or there is a delay letting passengers off, or one or two of your family members decides they don't want to go to Florence after all, or it's pouring down rain that day, (etc.) you have no recourse.

A car service from the ship to Rome Termini would save you time and is a relatively safe bet, given that you'd be traveling on a Sunday morning.  If you're willing to pay for this (around 150 euro) that would speed your day along.

If you go this route I would have the car service take you to Tiburtina station in Rome.  This is slightly faster as it requires less driving in the city itself.    This does not limit your train choices, all of the high speed trains from Termini stop at Tiburtina before going non-stop to Florence.  You can also choose from either Trenitalia or Italotreno at Tiburtina.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, euro cruiser said:

I would not buy the tickets in advance in order to get a lower fare unless you are willing to lose the money you spent on them because these reduced fares are non-changeable and non-refundable.

In other words, if you have a pre-purchased ticket and your ship is late into port, or there is a delay letting passengers off, or one or two of your family members decides they don't want to go to Florence after all, or it's pouring down rain that day, (etc.) you have no recourse.

A car service from the ship to Rome Termini would save you time and is a relatively safe bet, given that you'd be traveling on a Sunday morning.  If you're willing to pay for this (around 150 euro) that would speed your day along.

If you go this route I would have the car service take you to Tiburtina station in Rome.  This is slightly faster as it requires less driving in the city itself.    This does not limit your train choices, all of the high speed trains from Termini stop at Tiburtina before going non-stop to Florence.  You can also choose from either Trenitalia or Italotreno at Tiburtina.

Thank makes sense. Just hope the train tickets are not sold out last minute. We'll be there early June.

Have you been to Rome?....If you have not, stay in Rome for the day...there are MANY things to see...you will spend half your day on a train, and see little of Florence......Also, if you want to be first off the boat when it clears customs, keep your luggage and walk off the ship.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caripoo said:

Have you been to Rome?....If you have not, stay in Rome for the day...there are MANY things to see...you will spend half your day on a train, and see little of Florence......Also, if you want to be first off the boat when it clears customs, keep your luggage and walk off the ship.....

Good advice - spending so many hours on trains for just a few hours in Florence is a bad use of time.

20 hours ago, caripoo said:

We'll spend 2.5 days in Rome before the cruise, and then the Vatican tour on our last day in Italy, before our 6pm flight back to the US. We are thinking of the da Vinci museum and the dome. Also thought riding the train might be fun for the kids...