Number of Formal Nights on the Queen Elizabeth 10-day Alaskan cruise

MalibuCA

Here is what was indicated in the dress code schedule published ahead of time for the 10-day Alaska cruises during QE's inaugural Alaska season this past summer.

Evening 1: Smart Attire - Jacket Optional

Evening 2: Gala Evening (aka Formal)

Evenings 3-8: Smart Attire

Evening 9: Gala Evening (aka Formal)

Evening 10: Smart Attire

Someone who was actually on one of those voyages may be able to verify if that is what the schedule actually turned out to be. Reports I have read indicate there were indeed two formal nights and it was jacket optional on the first night.

Edited by bluemarble

On the 10-day cruise I took in June there were a mere two gala nights. The first one was the second night which is a sea day. I can't recall when the second one was but it was, of course, a sea day close to the end of the voyage. The ports and the order of them can change from one cruise to the next so the second formal night  may not be constant.

1 hour ago, MalibuCA said:

Thank you, Bluemarble.  I just saw your reply, and this information helps me tremendously.

Glad to help.

One thing to keep in mind is that Cunard is now promoting round trip cruises from Victoria. That means evening 9 of a 10-day cruise from Vancouver will be evening 10 of that cruise from Victoria. Cunard might want to move that second formal night earlier in the cruise for that reason (or other itinerary-related reasons as David mentioned).

And one wonders if embarkation day in Victoria will also be Jacket Optional.

Edited by bluemarble

12 hours ago, MalibuCA said:

How many formal nights should I expect on a 10-day Alaskan cruise on the Queen Elizabeth?  On which days should I expect the formal nights to be, Days 1-10?

Thanks for your help.

Shelley

Just to add;  In my experience, on  your 10 day Alaska cruise you can safely guarantee that you will have two formal evenings ( I refuse to refer to it as Gala ! it encourages 'some folk' to bring down the Dressing up Box from the loft 😉)

The evening dress code dates indicated in your voyage personaliser are only a guide,  they can often be subject to change once onboard. Your guide to follow will be in your daily programme on the first day of embarkation.      

On 11/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, bluemarble said:

Here is what was indicated in the dress code schedule published ahead of time for the 10-day Alaska cruises during QE's inaugural Alaska season this past summer.

Evening 1: Smart Attire - Jacket Optional

Evening 2: Gala Evening (aka Formal)

Evenings 3-8: Smart Attire

Evening 9: Gala Evening (aka Formal)

Evening 10: Smart Attire

Someone who was actually on one of those voyages may be able to verify if that is what the schedule actually turned out to be. Reports I have read indicate there were indeed two formal nights and it was jacket optional on the first night.

The first formal night was the second night while we were cruising the inside passage. It was the black and white ball. The second formal night was on the night between Sitka and Victoria while we were cruising the ?outside passage. (We went on the other side of Vancouver Island.) It had a Roaring Twenties theme. The itinerary is very port intensive, so the only other "sea day" is the day the ship visits the Hubbard Glacier. That wasn't a formal night on our voyage, but it could possibly be made one. The early dining time was at 5:30, so it was sometimes a scramble to get changed for dinner on a port day. We didn't even try when we visited Juneau. 

Thank you, kmerlin14, for your reply.  You said that the first formal night was on Day 2 of the cruise.  Do you recall which "Day #" your second formal night was?  You said it was between Sitka and Victoria, but without access to your full itinerary, it's difficult to determine which "Day #" of the cruise the second formal night was held.  Thanks for your help!

On 11/11/2019 at 5:15 PM, MalibuCA said:

Thank you, kmerlin14, for your reply.  You said that the first formal night was on Day 2 of the cruise.  Do you recall which "Day #" your second formal night was?  You said it was between Sitka and Victoria, but without access to your full itinerary, it's difficult to determine which "Day #" of the cruise the second formal night was held.  Thanks for your help!

Day 9

Sitka was Day 8 and Victoria was Day 10 and we disembarked in Vancouver the next morning.

Thank you.  Our Day 8 is in Ketchikan and Day 10 is Victoria with Day 9 being a Sea Day.  I expect that we will have our formal nights on Day 2, when we cruise the Inside Passage, and Day 9 at Sea as you suggested.  Thanks!!