Transatlantic travels - Pursuit Lisbon to Rio 13 November 19

Grandma Cruising

To continue -  our tour of Sao Vicente then took us out and about around the island. We drove through the Calhau area where there is a little agriculture, but our guide Sonia explained that most of the farmers are retirees who are farming as a hobby or for an extra bit of income. Sao Vicente gets very very little rain so the farmers use windmills to produce the power to lift water from the underground aquifers, but the farming is precarious and threatened by crows and pigeons that damage the crops.

C205275C-3CA5-4382-BA87-41ACE3EB6E02.jpeg

From there we drove to the coast 

B1FB6EAE-4132-46E1-9AD9-245C662700ED.jpeg

9680A337-CCA2-46C4-A88D-9AAA54D4938D.jpeg

Next we went to little restaurant for lunch - it was fish or chicken, with salad, fries, rice and vegetables, plus a drink of our choice from beer, wine or sodas, and a dessert. It was OK - pretty basic - and not helped by the number of flies about!

After lunch we went drove along the coast alongside the ‘Long beach.

168FA914-587F-45C1-9EFA-068DCCF21A60.jpeg

After driving along the coast, the tour finished with a drive up to the top of Monte Verde, at 744m it’s the highest point on the island. Unfortunately it was a bit hazy, so the view from the top was not so clear.

43269D6C-F07E-4783-ACA7-E7DEAE305586.jpeg

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, that’s what it was. It’s a nice event - no speeches, just the chance to meet senior officers and talk to other passengers with nice nibbles and drinks.

Did it used to be a breakfast? Somehow I do not remember it. I am discoverer plus.

Dinner at Discoveries again last night - a sharing table of 7 with a couple from Liverpool, a Norwegian couple and a lady from Guernsey - very good company.

I had Tuna with spicy Japanese mayo, and my DH had Beef Carpaccio, for starters, then we both had Bouillabaisse which had lots of sea food in it, then the Chef’s special of Lamb loin with basil potatoes. My desert was lemon-ginger sorbet(fantastic flavour) and  my DH had Tiramisu gelato which he loved.

After dinner we popped in to the Cabaret lounge towards the end of the show - Azamara singers doing Songs from Broadway - but didn’t stay as it’s not really our choice of music.

Today is the first of 5 sea days - the sea’s pretty calm and the weather is glorious. It was difficult to find 2 sun beds on Deck 11 at 9am - we’ll have to start getting up earlier. We have tea & fruit juice delivered at 7am, but are pretty slow in the mornings - we’ll need to speed up I think!

34 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

....It was difficult to find 2 sun beds on Deck 11 at 9am - we’ll have to start getting up earlier. We have tea & fruit juice delivered at 7am, but are pretty slow in the mornings - we’ll need to speed up I think!

Send hubby up, following tea & juice....I am certain you realise how useful we can be at times!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, silkismom said:

I wonder what special things they will have on our Jan Pursuit to Antarctica, not a lot of options to pick up local food once we leave Argentina. I'm starting to dig out my old "woolies" to pack for that.

Just pack plenty of layers and definitely some good thermal underwear is a great idea. And a nice wooly hat!  The scenery is just amazing. I loved it. 

Phil 

ADCA5D89-2E17-495C-91A8-1AE2BFBB1CCC.jpeg

• Like 4

We spent all day on sunbeds yesterday, the weather was glorious. One thing we have noticed on Pursuit that is different from the other 2 ships is that it’s practically  impossible to hear the announcements on Deck 11.  There’s a terrible echo which makes them sound like nonsense. We’ve never had that problem on Journey or Quest.

We ate in Prime C last night. The appetiser was a sort of asparagus and red pepper reduction over smoked salmon, served in a small glass. I had warm water lobster salad, roasted Pumpkin soup and Rack of Lamb, my DH had smoked salmon, crab cakes and a T bone steak. We both had the wonderful  Limoncello soufflé for dessert.

We actually managed to see most of the show after our meal. It was a very funny magician called Greg Moreland.  He was very good - a mixture of ‘mentalist’ and traditional magician with lots of comedy thrown in. 

947527A8-4824-4AE9-9C6A-FBEFD3F7C5BF.jpeg

DC840A5A-45F6-4216-8203-A68358CF72B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Today’s programme had an item at 10am in the Cabaret Lounge described as a ‘Special Event’  It turned out to be a Cook Off between two teams - Captain Antonio and HD Ryzsard against CD Amanda and F&B Manager Elisabeth. It was a really fun event, hosted by Assistant CD Lee. It was to the same format as Ready Steady Cook with Green Peppers and Red Peppers. Captain Antonio and Ryzsard won! Here’s a couple of photos - not very good because they were taken with my IPad.

60742B2D-E9BE-4478-BCB8-1B6547ADCC63.jpeg

66D2F3ED-14AA-4574-BA9E-474E29A798AC.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ithikan said:

What fun!  Did guests do the judging?

Yes, people put their names in the hat & 3 were drawn out to be on the panel. The first person to be drawn out was an American woman who was a retired navy captain, who had also been a dietician, so a good choice as a judge. Captain Antonio & Ryzsard were the red peppers and Amanda & Elisabeth were the green peppers. The audience all had cards with a red pepper on one side and a green card on the other. The judges closed their eyes while we held our cards up - it was pretty even, but the 3 judges gave it to the red peppers by a majority decision.

• Like 2

Dinner at Discoveries on a sharing table for 10 - all British. I had Japanese sushi and Fish Bisque, DH had beef ravioli and we both had prime rib of beef with mushrooms. I had ricotta cannoli and he had a gelato (can’t remember the flavour). Another lovely meal in great company. Afterwards we had a drink in the Living. Room listening to Riviera Sounds and watching their Cha Cha class. 

• Like 1

Today was the day we crossed the equator, so we had the crossing the equator ceremony with Lee, assistant CD, as King Neptune. After the Captain had knelt before King Neptune, two officers who were 'polliwogs' (I.e. had never crossed the equator) were 'sacrificed' - they had to kiss the fish, have arctic waters poured over them, meet the flotsam & jetsam of the sea (coloured 'splodge'), have their organs removed by the butcher of the seas (Ryzsard) then be put in the water (pool) by King Neptune's pirates.

73D1BACC-0EB6-4063-BF66-5CB84508ADE1.thumb.jpeg.b1b0ab638055626929c899062df3f122.jpegAfter this King Neptune demanded more sacrifices and Amanda, Elisabeth and Ryzsard were all 'sacrificed', then passengers got the chance to go through it too, if they wanted to.

21C3F6AA-1FAC-44EF-A354-76F5CDF9BD1E.jpeg

FC1625A0-9986-4E64-BF46-F00F70CBB9EA.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

I am also on this cruise and I just would like to tell everybody, that we are all haveing a fantastic time on board the Ship. It started right when we have bboardedthe ship, we have mmet so many crew member that we know from our cruise last year on the TA Pursuit BCN - MIA. and the best was, we also have been recongnized and that was really fantastic. We had so many highlights already it is really hard to tell everyone. Just for today, We passed the archipell of San Paul and San Pedro, hat Officer BBQ and the Equator blessing ceremony. That was so much fun. They all work so hard to give us a fantastic time and I can't wait to see, what is comeing up next.

image.thumb.jpeg.af3cabfa671843155863d27f6915156a.jpeg

• Like 2

Great photo, cheznik!

At 5 pm yesterday we went to the Living Room to hear an acoustic guitar set by Nate and watch the setting sun. Dinner in Discoveries again, this time at a very international sharing table - us 2 Brits, 2 Canadians and a US couple. My DH and I both had scallops with Thai risotto and galangal soup ( delicious), then I had Hot & Sour seafood soup then seared Tuna, whilst he had asparagus soup followed by a NewYork Strip steak. His dessert was chocolate mousse and chocolate ganache. Mine was a fruit sorbet. Another lovely evening.