Silver Shadow Review

MBP&O2/O

I have recently commented on a couple of threads and expressed a couple of concerns regarding our recent experience on board Silver Shadow.

Here is a small review of that cruise, 3930 Piraeus round trip.

Several factors are worthy of mention .... some good and some bad.

BOARDING PROCEDURES
Nothing but complements. Less than 15 minutes from exiting the taxi to relaxing in the lounge.

ACCOMMODATIONS:
The suite was clean, tidy and well presented. It could be argued that the style was ‘dated’ but that is a matter of opinion. I am surprised that there were no USB plugs in the suite. Perhaps this could be considered for the future?

CATERING:
This would be my main area of concern.
La Terrazza:
At breakfast and lunch, once it started getting mildly busy the staff were unable to cope.
The buffet area is far too small and long queues frequently formed. I understand that enlarging this area is NOT on the agenda. 
Having been seated, service was again, at busy times, particularly slow, sometimes non existent! On one occasion we gave up and left.
The small serving area did not allow for any Ice Cream so that was a special request ... with the appropriate wait.
The main concern in this restaurant was hygiene. For the first few days the area was infested with flies. The main restaurant area had several but more concerning were number flying around in the food service area and on the food itself. This problem however was overshadowed when my wife found to her disgust and dismay a live caterpillar on the lettuce in the buffet area. This matter was raised at the time and apologies were made. This level of hygiene totally and utterly unacceptable.
On an evening the restaurant was exceptional. Service was prompt and the food was excellent.

MAIN DINING ROOM:
Generally speaking the service, at breakfast and lunch, was far superior to La Terrazza, but again, on an evening, once it started to get mildly busy the service went into meltdown. It was not unusual to be ignored for twenty minutes.
On the positive side we did ask for two ‘special’ dishes which were excellent. A Chateaubriand (for two) and a Beef Wellington ( for one).
One ‘corked’ wine 😀
On more than one occasion we asked for, and received, a specific complimentary wine, without any issue.

HOUSEKEEPING:
No problems here. The butler was efficient and unobtrusive to the point where we hardly saw him - which is not to say he was not available when we did request his help. Cabin attendant was also very good.

ON BOARD BOOKINGS:
This was, sadly, a non-starter. No 5% on board booking discount for this family!
There was no cruise consultant on board to discuss bookings with.
The guest relations dept. did try to help but their expertise was limited and any questions had to be referred to the UK office.
We investigated booking ‘on line’ but for some unknown reason the IT set up caused all inquiries to default to the American site which quoted  all prices in US Dollars and also included economy airfares from the US. From our point of view it was a waste of time trying to progress the matter.

EXCURSIONS:
Of the excursions we took, there were, on some, areas for concern. The subject matter was fascinating but the execution was flawed.
Kusadsi:  
Ephesus & its Archaeological Museum (KUS-B)
Well organised. Good content, but  ... As the tour finished, we were ‘invited’ to a carpet factory, where, after a good presentation we were given the ‘hard sell’ to the point that when we walked out in disgust, shop staff followed us down the stairs!! I am led to understand that there was a Silversea representative on a second coach. We did not see one.
Patmos: 
St. John's Patmos & Churches (PAT-A)
There were in excess of 40 people on our excursion. Taking into account that the tour included visits to confined areas and churches, it was not unusual to find the guide talking to less than half a group as the other half was in a separate room.  
There was no visible Silversea representation on this excursion.
Smaller groups needed.
Haifa:
Nazareth & the Sea of Galilee (HFA-B)
Again, quite interesting but the guide would stride off leaving the party behind. The narration was by radio, but listening to someone in a different room giving directions doesn’t really help, nor does describing something that you can’t see improve matters. The included lunch was excellent.
Again no Silversea representation that I could see.
Smaller groups needed.
Ashdod:
Best of Jerusalem & Old City (ASD-B)
Exactly the  same problem as Haifa! The guide was striding out and frequently out of sight giving directions! The radio reception was badly affected by the thick stone walls in thenOld Town so goodness knows what we missed!
This problem was exaggerated by two participants who had mobility problems. and struggled to keep up with the guide.  Kudos to both people ... they managed the walk but I suspect that they regretted it as one stayed on the bus later on.
This tour could really do with a warning for persons with mobility problems, explaining that a lot of it is on uneven and cobbled surfaces which are frequently wet and slippy. A ‘3’ does not cover it.
Again no Silversea representation that I could see, and at the risk of harping on, there were too many people in the group.

DISEMBARKATION:
We asked for the latest slot for disembarkation for our 5pm flight. We were told that we could expect to disembark at about 0945hrs. We were actually invited to leave at 0830hrs? Several other groups left after our group had been requested so we were obviously on the early exit? Why ask if you are going to blatantly ignore any requests?
We managed a glimpse at one document that stated quite clearly that immigration laws dictated the ship would be vacated by 0945hrs. 

MINOR ISSUES:

There appears to be a lack of coordination between excursions and dining. All documentation states quite clearly that in La Terrazza last lunch seating is at 1400hrs., so when we returned from an excursion and entered the restaurant  at 1330hrs. we did not expect a problem. However staff were coming round the dining room at 1350hrs - as late-comers were arriving - telling people that the buffet would be closing shortly so if they wanted anything else then now was the time. Sure enough the shutters came down before 1400hrs. Perhaps if planned excursions are due back at lunch time then allow a 30 mins extension? Yes I appreciate there are alternatives but room service and/or pool grill would not suit me.

CONCLUSIONS:
Had this been my first Silversea cruise I would never consider booking another, however, having sailed with Silversea before I know that they can do much better!
Being charitable, and basing my conclusions on my professional life, this cruise gave the impression that the ship was running on minimal crew with maximum passengers and the forthcoming drydock took priority. The crew could not cope so the passengers do not get the cruising they expected.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your review MBP&O2/O!  As an FYI... I believe USB ports are currently being installed during the Shadow's dry dock.  Also, for your future reference, just because the Cruise Director calls your group to disembark at 8:30a doesn't mean you have to.  For those who have made their own arrangements, you are welcome to stay aboard and depart with the last group of the morning.  We enjoy spending our last morning on board enjoying a leisurely breakfast, saying goodbye to friends, and disembarking around 10:00a.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks for sharing your review MBP&O2/O!  As an FYI... I believe USB ports are currently being installed during the Shadow's dry dock.  Also, for your future reference, just because the Cruise Director calls your group to disembark at 8:30a doesn't mean you have to.  For those who have made their own arrangements, you are welcome to stay aboard and depart with the last group of the morning.  We enjoy spending our last morning on board enjoying a leisurely breakfast, saying goodbye to friends, and disembarking around 10:00a.

unless like us & have a bus/cattle call to the airport to board & wait there for everybody else to get their act together & then wait some more while several inventories are preformed so we have at last let the rush hour traffic catch up to us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Staff: HD & CD ... pass! I’ll try and find the Chronicles and see what I can find out. The CD was an American gentleman called Bob (I believe) who insisted that every day was a beautiful day.
The ship had 375 passengers on board so we were told. Full is 388 I believe. There were a couple of suites that we saw that had ‘do not disturb’ signs on the door 24/7 ? 

Entertainment: This was an opera themed cruise. I didn't realise that when we booked it so I was quite looking forward to it, however the opera performancestarted quite late for us and we only went to one. We didn’t partake in anything else. 

On Board Discount: We asked the guest services for a quote and they contacted the office for us. They explained the on board issues and suggested to reservations that they should consider honouring the 5% discount but when the reply came there was nothing mentioned.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

As requested ...

CD Bob Leininger

HD Martin Blanar

Update: They have honoured the 5% ‘on board’ discount ...... so I felt it would have been churlish not to have booked another ..... Silver Spirit this time.

Thanks again, and excellent news.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Does anyone know if the Shadow is still in Valletta or is she on her way back to USA?

Conflicting reports on the internet.

Based on cruisemapper's info at local time 2019-11-15 20:01, it is still docked...

image.thumb.png.f9d0a155f88ab5b3b4488be1bc54b43e.png

50 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Another update.  She is scheduled to arrive in Freeport on 11/30 at around 11 PM.  Next scheduled cruise is 12/3 sailing from Fort Lauderdale.  Can't wait to get an update on the changes.

Correction for 12/3 sailing.

Edited by DCCruiser57
  • Thanks 1

I just came across this review and the comments that other cruisers made about it. 

From start to finish, less the section about the suite and butler, this review shows that Silversea is poorly managed. Or at least this ship is. But how can Silversea make excuses for this litany of believable and bad press.

We have a cruise on Muse in Feb., 2020. It will be our third after a flat and tired Whisper cruise and one on Cloud expedition, a very old and cold ship. If we encounter such conditions on Muse as this Shadow review, well, this will be our last with the line. I can only hope it does not come to that!

Which leads me to ask the Silversea faithful and others: why do you continue to sail with them? At these prices you should be entitled to consistency across their ships. No cruise sales person? Noisy and overwhelmed Terrazza and main restaurant? Mentions of hygiene and meltdown? Please!!!

Obviously a quality service is just not being delivered whereas you can surely do better on their direct competitors!

it would be interesting to hear back.

Happy and healthy sailing!

4 hours ago, markham said:

We have a cruise on Muse in Feb., 2020

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised, explanation below.

At these prices you should be entitled to consistency across their ships

I agree whole heartedly.  We will be on Silver Shadow in less than a week's time to compare with our first Silversea experience on the Muse.

No cruise sales person? Noisy and overwhelmed Terrazza and main restaurant? Mentions of hygiene and meltdown?

Our experience on the Muse regarding these issues was (1) a knowledgeable sales person was on board (2) dining venue staff were professional and never seemed stressed or in any way overwhelmed (3) with the exception of a nearby fellow cruiser getting a bit noisy and discourteous on one occasion, dining was never noisy and (4) hygiene was impeccable.  I never saw flies or other insects while on board.

why do you continue to sail with them?

Because our first experience on the Muse was so favorable.

That said, I am having difficulty getting the image of a caterpillar on a salad served to a customer out of my mind.  Unacceptable on even a budget line.  Hopefully no one will notice me picking over my salad (perhaps angling a bit to catch the light) before eating it on our upcoming cruise.

18 hours ago, markham said:

I just came across this review and the comments that other cruisers made about it. 

From start to finish, less the section about the suite and butler, this review shows that Silversea is poorly managed. Or at least this ship is. But how can Silversea make excuses for this litany of believable and bad press.

We have a cruise on Muse in Feb., 2020. It will be our third after a flat and tired Whisper cruise and one on Cloud expedition, a very old and cold ship. If we encounter such conditions on Muse as this Shadow review, well, this will be our last with the line. I can only hope it does not come to that!

Which leads me to ask the Silversea faithful and others: why do you continue to sail with them? At these prices you should be entitled to consistency across their ships. No cruise sales person? Noisy and overwhelmed Terrazza and main restaurant? Mentions of hygiene and meltdown? Please!!!

Obviously a quality service is just not being delivered whereas you can surely do better on their direct competitors!

it would be interesting to hear back.

Happy and healthy sailing!

A great video from the Muse.  

• Like 1