Decorating your cabin door

gentle@spici

47 minutes ago, mom says said:

I think if someone can't remember what deck they are on, or write down their cabin number, then perhaps they should consider bringing along a care giver. Don't the elevator lobbies have the deck number displayed?

Door magnets have a habit of walking - sometimes onto other decks. Not something I would depend on. But then, I think most door decorations are like pink flamingoes and plastic gnomes on the front lawn of a mansion- they just bring down the property values of the neighborhood.

I agree 100%!!

Not to mention that unless your cabin is directly across from the elevators (can they even be on Celebrity?), you are not going to see the door decoration from the elevator. So that argument really holds no water.

• Like 1

After our last cruise on the Celebrity Reflection, a couple weeks before Christmas, we saw many doors decorated with Christmas themes and decided we wanted to do it our next cruise, next month.

We did not know that there was a rule stating no decorations on cabin doors until very recently.

I am curious as to when that rule was initiated and if it is actually was enforced.

After purchasing items to decorate cabin door I have now decided not to decorate our cabin door, I will be looking forward to see if anyone actually does decorate their cabin door and will staff remove it or have the occupants remove it.

I assume it may be like enforcing the "chair hog" rule, lol.

16 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

After our last cruise on the Celebrity Reflection, a couple weeks before Christmas, we saw many doors decorated with Christmas themes and decided we wanted to do it our next cruise, next month.

We did not know that there was a rule stating no decorations on cabin doors until very recently.

I am curious as to when that rule was initiated and if it is actually was enforced.

After purchasing items to decorate cabin door I have now decided not to decorate our cabin door, I will be looking forward to see if anyone actually does decorate their cabin door and will staff remove it or have the occupants remove it.

Celebrity currently still allows you to decorate the outside of your stateroom door. NCL has banned it according to what someone posted on this thread (post #6). Just don't use any type of tape on the door to secure your decoration(s). 

Edited by davekathy

On every cruise we have taken I have made a simple door sign (template available on this site) and attached it with my CC door magnets.

This year the sign was removed one night and one of the door magnets left on the floor, one was missing 

I thought this was very sad - maybe high jinks one night but it was disappointing to know that I was in the company of someone who would do this

14 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

On every cruise we have taken I have made a simple door sign (template available on this site) and attached it with my CC door magnets.

This year the sign was removed one night and one of the door magnets left on the floor, one was missing 

I thought this was very sad - maybe high jinks one night but it was disappointing to know that I was in the company of someone who would do this

You're not the first to post that experience here on CC. 

20 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

Don't they have security cameras? If you report that something was removed from your door couldn't they simply check the video and take appropriate action?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Don't they have security cameras? If you report that something was removed from your door couldn't they simply check the video and take appropriate action?

What would they really do? It's not like the passenger owns the stateroom. Technically they are stealing from the Cruise line since it's their door and the passenger left their belongings on it. They couldn't even enforce the dress code so they changed it. Can't see them wasting time investigating the Decoupage thief  Maybe that's why the other lines created the rule of no decorations.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Technically they are stealing from the Cruise line since it's their door and the passenger left their belongings on it.

So, if a passenger leaves a camera on a lounge chair while taking a quick dip in the pool and someone steals it, the thief is really stealing from the cruise line, since it's their chair and the passenger left their belongings on it? Interesting perspective.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

There are no rules against decorating your door.

10 hours ago, Sascol said:

Door decor.  Kinda tacky, kinda silly. IMHO.  Cruise hallways need not look like the isle at your favorite craft store. 

1 hour ago, Swampbabe said:

Most of the door decorations I’ve seen look like the Dollar Store threw up on the door. If they were done tastefully, maybe.

I have an opinion too but I'm wise enough to know that no one cares about it.

• Like 1

I'm a door decorator. Why? Because it's festive and fun. I'm sure there are people who disapprove... but there are plenty of others who take the time and make the effort come tell us how much they enjoy the decorations. Until X says I can't, I will. 

• Like 5

We have sailed on 20+ Celebrity cruises, including 4 cruises this year.  I have seen a few door decorations here and there - simple and tasteful ones.  Seeing the decoration on another passenger’s door helped me locate my own cabin - a few cabins down from the decoration.   IMHO, simple decorations or message boards are fine.  It looks like some passengers go overboard in decorating their doors; perhaps that is why some cruise lines have banned door decorations.  I live in a planned community and certain decorations are banned from residents’ front yards.  One person’s decoration is another person’s eyesore.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, hurwitz5 said:

We have sailed on 20+ Celebrity cruises, including 4 cruises this year.  I have seen a few door decorations here and there - simple and tasteful ones.  Seeing the decoration on another passenger’s door helped me locate my own cabin - a few cabins down from the decoration.  

Passengers  that rely on that can really get messed up when sailing during April 1 or if  some pranksters move the decorations to another door.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

So, if a passenger leaves a camera on a lounge chair while taking a quick dip in the pool and someone steals it, the thief is really stealing from the cruise line, since it's their chair and the passenger left their belongings on it? Interesting perspective.

People have things taken all of the time anywhere any place in the world. While people report the incident there is very little the cruise line can do. If you leave your valuables unattended you do that at your own risk. The cruise line isn’t responsible. My son works in a Midtown Manhattan bank that was held up at gun point last week. There is security and cameras. The police said he has hit up a few banks in the area and will probably be back. They still haven’t caught him. Now put that in perspective with a few dollar store decorations being stolen and a cruise ship security department.