Decorating your cabin door

gentle@spici

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

People have things taken all of the time anywhere any place in the world. While people report the incident there is very little the cruise line can do. If you leave your valuables unattended you do that at your own risk. The cruise line isn’t responsible. My son works in a Midtown Manhattan bank that was held up at gun point last week. There is security and cameras. The police said he has hit up a few banks in the area and will probably be back. They still haven’t caught him. Now put that in perspective with a few dollar store decorations being stolen and a cruise ship security department.

I agree totally with what you say here and most of what you said in your previous post. The only thing I found curious was your earlier comment that you viewed something stolen aboard as being stolen from Celebrity and not from the owner.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree totally with what you say here and most of what you said in your previous post. The only thing I found curious was your earlier comment that you viewed something stolen aboard as being stolen from Celebrity and not from the owner.

I view the door as part of the structure of the ship. Any alterations would now be part of the structure that the cruise line owns. If the door is damaged by the tape or whatever adhesive the cruise line would have to paint or repair it. My guess it that there must have been a lot of damage or residue build up on the doors on the other cruise lines that have banded door decoration. I'm not buying the fire hazard excuse. If anything is a fire hazard it would be all of the advertisement flyers that they leave in the room.

Early in this thread it was asked if the ship decorates on the Thanksgiving cruise - for Christmas.   We've sailed on two Thanksgiving cruises on X and on both of them the Christmas decor started to come out the day after Thanksgiving.   The day we disembarked they were decorating the big trees at the foot of the stairs on deck 3.   I have to say, and I hate to say it, but some of the decor was very tired and dated and looked like it had sat in the boxes stowed away gathering dust for years.   I was so tempted to fix it and fluff it up lol.  

We have always decorated our door, and we aren't likely to stop any time soon (barring actual restrictions imposed by the cruise lines, of course).  If someone takes a bit of pleasure in decorating their door, why would that offend someone so much? Oh wait... that's right, we now live in a society full of people who are so easily offended that even if someone wears white after Labor Day, someone else is going to have a bad day because of it.  And that same person is also going to lose their appetite in a dining room on a cruise ship if another guest is not in complete compliance to the suggested dress code.  And that same person will also pass judgement on the way others may style their hair, or parent their children, etc, etc etc.

Life is short... and mine was almost a whole lot shorter than expected when I died a few times 5 years ago. Thanks to the marvels of modern cardiac technology, my now bionic heart is kicking along nicely. I'm embracing life, I'm doing what I love, and I'm not hurting anyone else by doing what I do. If my door sign offends others... I really couldn't care less.  And quite honestly, if I was walking down a corridor and it reminded me of my college days, that would be a fantastic memory!!  :)

Lighten up folks... live and let live.  Here's what our door often looks like... but look away now if you think you might be offended by the sight of this:

image.png.88415eab423543ecc07311ff0e797c43.png

• Like 4

On 11/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Honesty I hope they do follow suit. Walking down a cruise hallway should not feel like walking through a college dorm with message boards and door decorations.

Lol I thought the exact same thing!  No thanks!  

• Like 4

On 11/11/2019 at 7:38 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Indeed!  I cannot figure out how people would lose sight of the way to their cabin.  It's not like the cruiseline hides the cabin number when you aren't looking.  

On 11/11/2019 at 7:40 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Exactly. Or like the cabins can move!

Worst-case take a picture of your cabin number on your phone - or if you don’t do your phone on a cruise write it on a piece of paper and carry it with you!

On 11/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, mom says said:

I think if someone can't remember what deck they are on, or write down their cabin number, then perhaps they should consider bringing along a care giver. Don't the elevator lobbies have the deck number displayed?

Door magnets have a habit of walking - sometimes onto other decks. Not something I would depend on. But then, I think most door decorations are like pink flamingoes and plastic gnomes on the front lawn of a mansion- they just bring down the property values of the neighborhood.

I cruised for several years with my Mother, who suffered from brain tumors and related memory and cognitive issues.  I always decorated our door with some small magnetic sign, sometimes from Cruise Critic, sometimes from our favorite sports team.  It helped reassure both of us that we were indeed at the correct cabin, and it gave her some assistance when walking down a seemingly endless hallway with identical looking cabin doors.  As soon as she'd spot our door decoration, she'd smile and say "oh we're here!"

Now that my Mother only cruises with me in spirit, I take along a door magnet in her memory.  It still makes me smile every time I see it.  

Sometimes the very small things in life can have a very positive impact.  It does not diminish me to be kind to others, indeed quite the opposite.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rugerdog said:

I cruised for several years with my Mother, who suffered from brain tumors and related memory and cognitive issues.  I always decorated our door with some small magnetic sign, sometimes from Cruise Critic, sometimes from our favorite sports team.  It helped reassure both of us that we were indeed at the correct cabin, and it gave her some assistance when walking down a seemingly endless hallway with identical looking cabin doors.  As soon as she'd spot our door decoration, she'd smile and say "oh we're here!"

Now that my Mother only cruises with me in spirit, I take along a door magnet in her memory.  It still makes me smile every time I see it.  

Sometimes the very small things in life can have a very positive impact.  It does not diminish me to be kind to others, indeed quite the opposite.

I hear what you are saying and this is a cherished memory that you hold dear so, I am not trying to discount that.  I also understand that one magnet on a door should not make or break anyone's sailing ... 

But, where is the line drawn before the hallway just looks trashy.  We stay in hotels quite often and this wouldn't even be an option.  A cruiseship is simply a hotel on the water.  When the hallway starts to look like a kindergarten classroom, lines need to be drawn.   I am all for those that feel the need to decorate inside in any which way you see fit.  I  find door decorations to be very tacky ... the elegance comes from designers in public areas and hallways are public areas.  Just wonder how one would feel if a political sign were plastered on the door ..... one you may not agree with, be plastered all over the door.  It's probably best the cruiseline just disallow it from the get go.  

Again, I think it is precious you have a cherished memory of your mom but, I also understand that you were with her in finding the cabin.  I would hope that this is just as precious for others if placed inside the cabin vs something everyone can view within the hallway.  

Tacky decor below followed by elegant decor ... there is just a place and time for everything:  

Image result for tacky door decorations on cruise ships

Image result for elegant hotel hallways

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rugerdog said:

I always decorated our door with some small magnetic sign, sometimes from Cruise Critic, sometimes from our favorite sports team.  It helped reassure both of us that we were indeed at the correct cabin, and it gave her some assistance when walking down a seemingly endless hallway with identical looking cabin doors.  As soon as she'd spot our door decoration, she'd smile and say "oh we're here!"

I am glad you have the wonderful memories of cruising with your mother.

But even young children are aware that cabin doors are not identical as each one has a unique, prominently displayed number.

Kindergarten children who are able to read numbers often run down the hallway ahead of their parents to be first to their cabin.

Even service dogs are able to find the appropriate cabin.

Since some passengers like door decorations while others don't, I would decorate the inside of my door to enjoy without imposing my personal choice of door decorations on everyone else who passes down the public hallway.

Are personal decorations in a public hallway fun or tacky? 

Just depends on how many drinks I have had so far that day. 😉

• Like 2

Our first cruise is in 23 days so I haven’t yet seen cabin door decorations first hand.  Still, noticing that others are joyous enough to celebrate life’s good fortunes with amateur door art will probably make me feel happy, too.

I don’t intend to decorate our stateroom door.  I don’t intend to eat soup with the incorrect spoon.  I would only hope that before others render verdicts on propriety and decorum they stand naked before the mirror and ask, “Do I really want others judging me?”

• Like 7

5 hours ago, rugerdog said:

While I can understand that, as others have pointed out, there is a fine line between tasteful and tacky - and too many cross it IMHO.

I would also caution against using anything removable - such as a door magnet - for a way to find the cabin. They have been known to sprout legs and either move to other cabins or to disappear all together. Taking a picture of the cabin number on a smartphone or with a Polaroid so you get the picture to carry - or simply writing it on a card the person can carry with them would be far more reliable.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wolf 8 said:

Our first cruise is in 23 days so I haven’t yet seen cabin door decorations first hand.  Still, noticing that others are joyous enough to celebrate life’s good fortunes with amateur door art will probably make me feel happy, too.

I don’t intend to decorate our stateroom door.  I don’t intend to eat soup with the incorrect spoon.  I would only hope that before others render verdicts on propriety and decorum they stand naked before the mirror and ask, “Do I really want others judging me?”

Spoon! How posh. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolf 8 said:

Well said.  

I appreciate your positive attitude!  You're going to have an amazing cruise, enjoy every second of it.

• Like 1