Shore Excursion in Bergen, Norway 2020

mrstanley

I will be on the Navigator from Copenhagen to Amsterdam next July. There is a shore excursion offered:

HARDANGER: QUEEN OF THE FJORDS while docked in Bergen, Norway.

The landscape looks amazing as I've seen photos online.  Has anyone actually done this excursion?

Is it worth the 7.50 hours and driving a total of 125 miles.

Suggestions for excursions are welcomed. Thanks!

We did that excursion two years ago.  It was beautiful scenery and we enjoyed it.  As to whether it is worth the long bus ride, that is a good question.  Sitting so long on the bus tweecked my back and it bothered me the rest of the cruise.  Also, Bergen is a fascinating city and other than a quick ride through town, you will miss seeing Bergen.  In general, we wish we hadn't taken so many long bus rides on this cruise, especially those that rejoin the ship farther down the line.  Whenever the ship is sailing, you have beautiful views on the fjords; don't miss those for a lengthy bus trip.  One in particular went to a "glacier" and it was a pitiful glacier.

True Bergen is beautiful even in the rain.   But won't the Navigator go into a fjord on this cruise?   We did once - the Geiranger I think it was - and it was lovely.  If you are going to cruise into one then do see Bergen.  If not - the Hardanger is a good idea.   I haven't cruised into it, only been across part of it on a car ferry once.  But you have to see at least one fjord from the water.

Stay in Bergen.  Its a beautiful city and you can do it on your own. Take the funicular to the top of the mountain for incredible views.  Hardanger is not one of the best fjords in my opinion and really not worth 7.5 hrs on a bus.  You can figure out the bus route and google map it and then click on the street view and you will see the fjord views from the road.