Times Square to Cape Liberty - Options?

Spesh

Picking up a cruise in 2 weeks from Cape Liberty and we are staying in Times Square both before and after the cruise.  There doesn't seem to be too many obvious options for transportation and I would appreciate some pointers.  Uber seems the obvious one however the $100 or so each way is a little offputting.

There seems to be an option (according to mr google at least) to get a train to 34th Street Light Train station and I assume a taxi of some sort from there to the port.

I have zero experience in New York so I'm trying to plan ahead to avoid the stress! 😛

49 minutes ago, Spesh said:

Picking up a cruise in 2 weeks from Cape Liberty and we are staying in Times Square both before and after the cruise.  There doesn't seem to be too many obvious options for transportation and I would appreciate some pointers.  Uber seems the obvious one however the $100 or so each way is a little offputting.

Car services recommended are Dial 7 and Carmel Limo. Ask if tolls, tips, any other fees to be paid along with price quoted.

There is public transit option but involves transfers. Best route would be PATH train from 33rd St in NYC going in direction of Journal Square in Jersey City, NJ. Exit at Newport-Pavonia station. Then walk to the Newport station of the Hudson Bergen light rail line. Light rail in direction of 8th Street Bayonne, exit at 34th St in Bayonne. The entrance to Cape Liberty is across the street but you do not want to walk, you would need a taxi or ride service.

The cost to get to 34th Street would be $5 per person or $2.10 age 62 and older.  Taxi likely $10 to port. You could choose to uber or taxi when you exit from PATH in Jersey City instead of walking to light rail, since you need a taxi anyway when you exit the light rail.

14 minutes ago, Spesh said:

I appreciate the reply, thankyou 🙂

Google doesn't seem to show PATH trains on a Saturday, is that correct? (perhaps I should have stated saturday in my original post)

There’s a sticky on top of page. Weekend closures of PATH. 

12 minutes ago, Spesh said:

I appreciate the reply, thankyou 🙂

Google doesn't seem to show PATH trains on a Saturday, is that correct? (perhaps I should have stated saturday in my original post)

Use the trip planner on the New Jersey Transit site with 33rd St PATH as begin point & 34th St Bayonne as end.

https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TripPlannerTo

There is weekend work on PATH impacting trains using the WTC station but not the 33rd St station.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

The fare is only $2.75 if you go only to Newport PATH and uber/taxi to the port from there.

Spesh

You have gotten good info. I am on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and will post back more specific details later. Post back what you’re thinking. IMO the easiest transfer from PATH to the light rail 8th St Bayonne train is in Hoboken and not Newport. 

15 hours ago, Spesh said:

Thankyou :)

You're welcome. If you do take PATH directly to the Hoboken station and take the light rail from Hoboken, you will not have to walk the streets Jersey City as the PATH and light rail tracks in Hoboken are within the same station and it will be easier to roll your luggage than along the streets.

This video will explain the ticket purchase/validation for light rail transit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLTtakLIN5U

At some point you have to decide how much the savings is worth to you.   It sounds like you can take the PATH train, but it involves multiple transfers..... cab, uber or subway to 33rd street, then a train, then a taxi or uber to the port.  Your total cost for 2 people might be far less than just taking a cab, uber or Dial 7/Carmel car service straight from hotel to port, but personally I'd opt for a the door-to-door service of a pre-arranged car service (uber as a 2nd choice).  You said you want stress-free and that would certainly qualify...sometimes the cost for stress-free is worth it!

• Like 3

In hindsight I think I'm going to book with carmel, its coming out at $77 with tolls and tip all in and what waterbug has said is quite valid.  The apparent complexity of the travel via public transport is a little daunting!  This is our first cruise where transport isn't obvious.  Last one was from Barcelona which was very easy from the airport (10euros in a taxi) and previous was dropping a rental car at Port Canveral.

A further question, if I may - on our return would it just be a case of uber or other taxi? I'm reluctant to pre book a return car (to times square as we are staying before returning to the UK) as I'm unsure as to what time we will be off the ship.  we are in a JS so, in theory, we should be able to get off earlyish.

10 hours ago, Spesh said:

A further question, if I may - on our return would it just be a case of uber or other taxi? I'm reluctant to pre book a return car (to times square as we are staying before returning to the UK) as I'm unsure as to what time we will be off the ship.  we are in a JS so, in theory, we should be able to get off earlyish.

That would be my thinking as well- cab/uber.  As to which one, I'd probably decide on the fly once I got out of the cruise port.  If there are cabs lined up the line isn't long, I'd just do that.  If the line was horrendous and the waiting spot for uber was nearby, I'd do that. 

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Why are you reluctant to precook a return car? You call in the am to confirm and give a time you will be off. It’s very easy and no lining up and waiting. The driver then informs you where to meet him. 

Mostly because this is all quite new to me and I'm not sure how it works, online booking for dial and carmel ask for a time to be stipulated so I was concerned that either I'd book it for quite late and be hanging around or too early and miss it.

You’re sailing on Anthem. The recommended time to arrive is between 10-10:30 to avoid port congestion. Boarding usually starts by 11 am and is very quick. Your seapass is used to board and for any charges before cabins are available. Room keys are at your cabin.  Most lunch venues typically open at 11 am, so no real need for a big breakfast.

Anthem typically docks early and self disembarkation is underway by 7 am. 

18 hours ago, Spesh said:

There will be taxis at the cruise port. You can also use uber or car service. The public transit options are the same just in reverse to getting to the port. Your arrival is on a weekend, traffic into Manhattan is lighter than weekdays. If the car service is significantly lower than uber, as your original post indicates, it would make more sense to book round trip service.

There are numbered waiting zones at the port for ride services and are easy to find. The car service will know the area. The taxis are located in a different area, there will be someone outside directing to their waiting area.

Downloaded the Carmel app so will give that a go when we get off the ship, if it doesn't work out at least I have the option of Uber and/or taxis there.

The more I look into public transport the more daunting it becomes, especially with bags etc in tow.

Thanks all for your help and pointers, I appreciate it 🙂

• 1 month later...

Hi Spesh, how did you end up getting from Times Square to Cape Liberty?

The last time we sailed from cape Liberty we used public transport taking the 33rd St PATH to Hoboken then the Light Rail to 34th St Bayonne, then a local cab to the port. We found it pretty stress free.

We're sailing again from Cape Liberty at the end of March but this time there will be four of us so may consider a different approach, such as PATH to Hoboken then a taxi/uber from there to the port.

5 hours ago, icsys said:

Hi Spesh, how did you end up getting from Times Square to Cape Liberty?

The last time we sailed from cape Liberty we used public transport taking the 33rd St PATH to Hoboken then the Light Rail to 34th St Bayonne, then a local cab to the port. We found it pretty stress free.

We're sailing again from Cape Liberty at the end of March but this time there will be four of us so may consider a different approach, such as PATH to Hoboken then a taxi/uber from there to the port.

Wow.  Assuming most people would first need to take a cab, uber or subway from their hotel to the PATH station, this method would mean using 4 different means of transportation!  That might be cheaper overall, but it is not something I would find to be stress free.  To each his own, I guess, but stress free to me in this case would be a car service for door-to door transportation. Alternatively, a cab or uber for the same door-to-door service.

8 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Wow.  Assuming most people would first need to take a cab, uber or subway from their hotel to the PATH station, this method would mean using 4 different means of transportation!  That might be cheaper overall, but it is not something I would find to be stress free.  To each his own, I guess, but stress free to me in this case would be a car service for door-to door transportation. Alternatively, a cab or uber for the same door-to-door service.

It all depends.  I also use public transit to go to Cape Liberty.  It’s accessible if you follow the directions.  I walk to the PATH station.  I prefer riding the outbound empty trains over sitting in NYC traffic to get into a tunnel and then driving the turnpike.  Each person has a different idea of what they consider stress free.

• Like 1