Who is Cruise Director on Regatta Now?

roothy123

We got off of Regatta in San Francisco on Nov 5th and Paul Baya was the CD.  Cannot speak to CD in December.  He was good in that he kept PA announcements to a minimum and relevant topics.  His morning show on TV was ok.  The events we attended that he hosted were well run and we had no complaints.

Thank you.  We haven't had him in the past, but wouldn't, as I see his Linked In profile says he has only been working for Oceania since June.  I honestly don't care that much who the CD is, but my husband has his favorites (mostly Ray Carr) so he wanted me to ask.  We'll see who is on board in December.  Thanks. 

12 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Corey Powell is the next CD. 

11 hours ago, Brentwood Bay said:

Currently on the Regatta.  Ray Baya is the CD and doing a good and not intrusive job.  His input is well balanced and informative without being verbose.  Amen.

OK, now I am confused.  Is it Paul Baya or Corey Powell that is currently onboard for the SF-Tahiti segment?

7 minutes ago, sitraveler said:

Mea culpa. Paul leaves in Papeete. Corey assumes the CD position then. 

Thanks! 

How is the Regatta looking since the dry dock?  There was a review posted for the cruise just after the dry dock, and apparently at that time there was still a lot of work going on.  Hopefully all done by now?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Currently aboard Regatta.  She looks pretty good to us.  The major work appears to have been completed.  Some exterior work (eg. painting the walking deck railings) has been carried out due to the rains during the North Vancouver dry dock period but otherwise the activities are not a bother and more routine maintenance.  One of the enrichment lectures covered the recent dry dock process and was very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, since you're on-board now Brentwood Bay, could you answer a very trivial question I have: If there's a wall phone near the elevators (either or both) on your deck, what side is it on - near even or odd numbered rooms?  

And my quick snooping on Google didn't turn up anything on Corey.  Anybody cruised with him before?  

I've traveled with Corey several times. He used to be an Assistant CD. His first cruise as the main CD was the one with the engine fire on Insignia. Talk about being thrown right in. I wasn't there but that was a mess. 

3 hours ago, gaeltrav said:

Just got off the Regatta in SF There is a phone by the elevators on all floors but 6 It is on the even side 

Thank you.  I seem to take longer than most people figuring out which way to turn when I get off those elevators.  To make the first few days easier, I use the wall phone to tell me whether I need to turn left or right to get to my room.  So for Regatta it sounds like I would turn toward the phone side to get to 7050.  Since both banks of elevators face the same way (thanks sitraveler, I thought that was the case, but you've confirmed it) looking for those phones should work for me!

I forget what's on deck 6, but gaeltrav, are you saying there's no phone on 6?  The way the sentences are merged, I wasn't 100% sure!  

We've sailed with Corey as CD 2x, thought he did a great job.  Opinions about CDs may be as varied as food preferences, so ymmv!

We really enjoyed his Trivia, although it sometimes ran to 5:05 or so (as opposed to 4:59 sharp) - we didn't mind, but some folks seemed concerned lol.

Some of his guest entertainers also did lectures/presentations, which I loved (spouse skipped).

Corey on occasion arranged for local musicians to perform either onboard or on the dock.  In Grenada he brought a steel-drum band on board to play poolside, the ship's band's percussionist was videoing them so you know they were great.

Corey likes to invite other crewmembers to join him on the CD's daily TV presentation, which can be fun (I don't always watch CDTV lol, but somehow watched Corey's more than average).

Generally my bias is a great CD helps, and a poor CD I'll have fun anyway.  I thought Corey helped.  Hope this info is useful.

• Like 1

Roothy123--

hope this helps--it does for me!

"port", "left", "even" all have same letter count (same can't be said for 'starboard', 'right' and 'odd') so....

when i am first on the ship and exit the elevator i hold out my left hand-turn that way for my even # cabin--works every time!   (we request the same cabin # every time.  Of course i mostly use the stairs, which can complicate matters but I work it out)

now if i could only make the correct decision when leaving the cabin to go to various places;  My new go-to is "eat right" (always a healthy idea!) to head for Terrace and "lounge left" (both begin with "L") for trivia, etc. 

I'm old and need all the memory tricks I can think of. 

15 minutes ago, cbb said:

Roothy123--

"port", "left", "even" all have same letter count (same can't be said for 'starboard', 'right' and 'odd') so....

when i am first on the ship and exit the elevator i hold out my left hand-turn that way for my even # cabin--works every time!   (we request the same cabin # every time.  Of course i mostly use the stairs, which can complicate matters but I work it out)

now if i could only make the correct decision when leaving the cabin to go to various places;  My new go-to is "eat right" (always a healthy idea!) to head for Terrace and "lounge left" (both begin with "L") for trivia, etc. 

Except when the elevator doors face aft, then you’re in trouble. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cbb said:

Roothy123--

Well, we don't get the same cabin every cruise, so your tricks will be helpful but not fail safe!  But at least we do usually get an F inside cabin, and  since those are in the middle of the ship with passage to the other side, even if I mess up the "port left" trick, I can just go over to the other side using that little corridor!  As for getting food  (aft or forward?),  my brain has the location of those  ingrained, so they're not a problem.  But Baristas, laundry, and Internet room?  Uh.... 

20 hours ago, babysteps said:

We've sailed with Corey as CD 2x, thought he did a great job.  Opinions about CDs may be as varied as food preferences, so ymmv!

We really enjoyed his Trivia, although it sometimes ran to 5:05 or so (as opposed to 4:59 sharp) - we didn't mind, but some folks seemed concerned lol.

Some of his guest entertainers also did lectures/presentations, which I loved (spouse skipped).

Corey on occasion arranged for local musicians to perform either onboard or on the dock.  In Grenada he brought a steel-drum band on board to play poolside, the ship's band's percussionist was videoing them so you know they were great.

Corey likes to invite other crewmembers to join him on the CD's daily TV presentation, which can be fun (I don't always watch CDTV lol, but somehow watched Corey's more than average).

Generally my bias is a great CD helps, and a poor CD I'll have fun anyway.  I thought Corey helped.  Hope this info is useful.

Sounds good, thanks!  And yes, I 'll have fun no matter who the CD may be!

Edited by roothy123