Men - how many jackets do you take?

bazzaw

31 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I wonder if one's fellow passnegers actually notice what one is wearing.  I very much doubt anyone would notice someone who wore the same thing twice. I have no interest in clothes, but I would notice the following:

flagrant breaches of the dress code such as shorts and a grubby tea shirt on formal night (which I have seen, though in the theatre, not the restaurant.);

someone wearing an identical dress to mine (once); 

and, occasionally, women in stunningly gorgeous dresses.

I wonder If many people notice more than that.

that about covers it [pun] with me also 

• Like 1

We usually do eastbound TA followed by 2-3 weeks traveling around European capitals, before flying home.

DH usually takes

1 tux in midnight blue

2 sportcoats - depending on expected temps when we arrive in Europe, one may be heavier, and one lighter.

despite coming from the land of hoodies ( Silicon Valley), DH usually wears a sportcoat everyday while traveling in European capitals.

we do travel lightly.  Usually one small 33-39 liter carryon bag each, and one shared 60 liter bag.  Usually leave the 39 liter bag in London where we cram the formal wear and other dressy items. Then continue traveling around Europe with the small 33 liter carryon and the larger 60 liter bag, we share both suitcases. I use packing cubes to help keep out items organized.

DH and I have done three cruises with Cunard.  The first two were b2b on QE and QM, and we both had a large case just for evening wear.   DH had a couple of  jackets plus the tux. While on these cruises I paid attention to what others were wearing so I could maybe pack a bit more efficiently for the next Cunard cruise.  

Most gentlemen had one suit or tux for the gala nights and a navy blue blazer. So this year we did 3 weeks on QE and DH brought a tux and  only the navy blazer.   He changed up the outfits by combining the blazer with  4 shirts, two pair trousers and a handful of ties. Never wore the same combo twice.  

I think it’s great if folks want to bring several large cases, but we were happy to have one less large case this year and we both still dressed (per code) for dinner every evening.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, pully8 said:

Interesting topic.

Have yet to cruise with Cunard but we will be doing so shortly.

Can anyone comment on the usual temperature on the ships?

Is it comfortable in the dining room when wearing a coat/jacket, or do you take them off?

We have sometimes found overheating of indoor spaces can be a factor on our travels in Europe.

We find the main dining room can be cool, many females bring a shawl with them.🍷🥃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luckymal said:

We find the main dining room can be cool, many females bring a shawl with them.🍷🥃

I tend to feel the cold in day to day life but have rarely felt cold inside on board and my husband who generates lots of heat tends to find it too warm for comfort on occasion - more noticeable when rooms have lots of people in them the dining room included. Only once has he felt so uncomfortable he had to ask our table mates if they objected to him removing his jacket though he has been keen to leave the table to cool down at other times. Temperature is so subjective and I hate places with icy AC  especially if I'm eating as food goes cold so fast.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, luckymal said:

I thought the public spaces were pretty warm, and assumed it was to meet the preference of the many elderly people on board.  And it was more comfortable at night with the thermostat one or two slots into the blue zone below the default level.

The restaurant is large and airy enough that this wasn't a problem, but it certainly wasn't cool.

Edited by IB2
+

12 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

I decided to opt for 4 jackets for an 11 night cruise.

2 sports blazers (navy and a grey discreet check) that I wear for work. Tux for formal nights and a cream blazer.

id have packed less if we’d gone on a ta or fly cruise.

Take out the likely five formal nights and you're taking three jackets for six nights.  That may be your preference but it is hardly sensible advice for others (except perhaps for those who spill a lot of soup)

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One black blazer that I wear with black slacks on formal nights.  Two other sport coats and I wear one of them on travel days to free up some space in my suitcase.  I wear a coat while out-and-about on board because the A/C can be cold.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bigmike911 said:

On 11/11/2019 at 9:47 PM, Bigmike911 said:

I presume you will use the evening suit (tails) at some land based occasion. Were you to wear it aboard you would likely be mistaken for the Maitre d'. In 18 voyages on Cunard, I have never seen any guest wearing one. 

Hi Bigmike911. My husband always takes his white tie and tails on all our Cunard Cruises. I must say he has never been mistaken for  the Mairte D.

He loves his jackets and more so his colourful ties. 
He has also been known to wear his morning suit with his top hat and tails to the Royal Ascot Ball. 
You can never have too many jackets and  nice clothes on a Cunard cruise, and my husband would never,  ever,  dream of taking his jacket or tie off during the evening.

527EB6C1-87D2-4D7D-9EC7-66B63DCB9D33.jpeg

Edited by maggiemou
  • Like 2

My partner has tails for dancing - but  there is no way in hell they are going on a cruise! They weigh a ton - much more than a normal suit - and we "only" have 23 or 30kg (depends on the airline) checked luggage each.  And  I'd really like to  keep it down to one checked  bag between us because multiple bags are so much of a pain to deal with on transfers 

Edited by lissie

• 3 weeks later...

At first I giggled at these post, since the itinerary is what is most important to my agenda, however after seeing photos of such delightful elderly gentlemen, it will be enjoyable and entertaining to cruise with you. Our World Cruise wardrobe will be sadly lacking as we too are from the land of the hoodies. My experience when dressed other than basic is we are told how cute we are. Egad! I’m not sure it is a compliment! 

Ann

We use the QM2 to get to or from Europe for land vacations, so we don't want to lug a lot of fancy dinner wear ensembles with us on land.  She Who Must Be Obeyed packs a couple of pairs of lightweight black slacks, some tops with sparkles, and tops it all of with a pashima.  I pack one pair of basic black slacks and a black sport coat.  I wear the sport coat with one of my colorful pocket squares over a black ribbed T-shirt or a white ribbed T-shirt.  We clean up pretty well for formal/gala/whatever nights on board and we also wear these items  on land for dinner in nicer restaurants. 

You can't go wrong with basic black and a few accessories.

As an alternative, after a particularly adventuresome journey across and around Australia for two months, we had a bag of "cruise only" clothes shipped to the ship by Luggage Forward for the transpacific back to the US.