Frankfurt Luggage and Customs Question

lisajltx

We are going on the TA in less than a couple of weeks. We will be on a flight from the US to Lisbon with a stop in Frankfurt. Do we need to pick up our luggage in Frankfurt, bring it through customs then recheck for the leg to Lisbon?  We will be going from non-schengen to schengen.

Thanks!

Lisa

Just did Miami to Frankfurt and on to Venice.  Luggage was checked all the way through. Gate to gate in Frankfurt took about 25 minutes with an insignificant stop at immigration.  And transiting in Frankfurt was way easier than going through Heathrow.

6 hours ago, bebop bonnie said:

Just did Miami to Frankfurt and on to Venice.  Luggage was checked all the way through. Gate to gate in Frankfurt took about 25 minutes with an insignificant stop at immigration.  And transiting in Frankfurt was way easier than going through Heathrow.

Heathrow is a nightmare, if you have to change terminals it's like a day trip itself.

Agree that luggage should normally be checked through to your final destination.

Our experiences with changing planes at Frankfurt have not been positive. It is a long walk between terminals and security can be very slow.

Edited by flossie009

If you are flying to Frankfurt from the US in business class, there are priority lines through security (but not customs).

And, yes, it can be a long walk at Frankfort because it is a huge airport.  Your path is well-marked by signs though.  Actually feels good to loosen up after an overnight flight.

There is a shuttle train between the terminals in FRA.  But that doesn't make it an easy transfer - signage is really terrible even for German speakers like us!

You won't need to get your baggage there - but you do need to go through Immigration since you are entering Schengen at FRA.  Then there will be no further passport control at your final destination - just Customs for the luggage...  which is a "non-event" as a rule.

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

There is a shuttle train between the terminals in FRA.  But that doesn't make it an easy transfer - signage is really terrible even for German speakers like us!

You won't need to get your baggage there - but you do need to go through Immigration since you are entering Schengen at FRA.  Then there will be no further passport control at your final destination - just Customs for the luggage...  which is a "non-event" as a rule.

Arriving in Zürich you will more than likely come into the E gates which are in the middle of the field.  You have to go downstairs and get the shuttle train to the main terminal.  It runs every 2mns and takes 2mns about and is FUNNY!!  Enjoy it!  Then follow signs for connecting flights and you will come to Immigration.  This is where you enter Schengen.  After passport scan you go to your gate for the Lisbon flight.  Which is more than likely in the main terminal building.  ZRH is one of the most efficient airports to arrive/depart at.  And there are plenty of shops/restaurants etc in the transit area in the main terminal.  (Fewer at the E gates...) . As with arriving in FRA you do not get your bags in ZRH - they will arrive in Lisbon with you.  And no more Immigration after ZRH.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

It runs every 2mns and takes 2mns about and is FUNNY!!  Enjoy it! 

Definitely.  Listen for the cows and the yodelling and say hello to Heidi.  We always enjoy watching it and it's a great welcome to Switzerland. 

I didn't mean to spoil any secret - just get frustrated when it passes so many people by because they are standing talking or looking at their phones!  If you don't know what the "surprise" is, it's easily missed.

Thanks again everyone for your helpful comments.  We are flying on Lufthansa and are lucky to be arriving and departing from the same terminal.  Unfortunately, our flight was changed from a 3 hour layover to a 5 hour layover.  It looks like we will need to find a club to get a nap in!  Happy cruising!

Lisa

As jacked as the airport is in FRA, I wouldn’t really mind a layover there since I used to live in Frankfurt...I’m sure I could find a nice schnitzel and a beer or three.  But 5 hours would probably be my limit.

In the old days, five hours would have been worth hopping on the S15 to the Hauptbahnhof to take a little walkabout, but with the security these days it’s probably not worth the risk of leaving and coming back...

7 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

In the old days, five hours would have been worth hopping on the S15 to the Hauptbahnhof to take a little walkabout, but with the security these days it’s probably not worth the risk of leaving and coming back...

Guess I’m showing my age...I just checked and it looks like the S15 was replaced by the S8/S9.  Wonder when that happened?  🤪

Edit:  Replaced in 1995.  Man, it’s hell getting old!  🤪

Edited by UUNetBill
Added data
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

You can check all local transport on www.bahn.de

Yep.  And www.rmv.de for the local FfM rail lines, etc.  I remember having to carry my pocket sized bahn schedule around with me all the time...how much easier is it having it all available on our phones now?